587,243 active members*
3,216 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 29 of 29 19272829
    kregan,

Nice that will have plenty of force to do what you need.

For tuning you can hear if it is under damped fairly easy but not over damped.

Once you have the gain in the range you want and it is stable lower the damping slightly and jar the ballscrew or pulley by hand to make it bounce. You can put your ear near the motor to hear it come to rest. Your working to get near the point where it will go into oscillation.

You will hear the motor get looser and bounce slightly right before it goes into oscillation. When you hear that increases the damping slightly and it will make almost a thump with no bounce when jar ed. You done at that point.

I set -I - when running at about 80% full speed, watch the follow error lights on the drive and watch the over shoot when you stop. I allowed a slight lag in lead error to get the best stopping performance with no hunting.

The mill had been acting funny lately and I finally got around to fixing it. The screen for the PC had randomly been going blank and after a bios reset all is well. I wanted to make something small to try it out so I ended up making a speed wrench for the vise since everyone else seems to have one already =]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	normal_DSCN1726.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	149390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	normal_DSCN1727.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	149391 If anyone is interested I can post up the dxf

What other parts have you been making these days?
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

heh, none really... I kind of got side tracked on my whole indoor garden.

What a wild ride! I just read this whole thread, and I'm impressed with your progress.
    I've had an x2 and an enco RF45 clone for a while now. I've always thought about cnc'ing one of them, and now I really think it's going to be the 45.
    It's a bewildering subject though, I'm going to have to do a lot more reading before I start to understand a lot of the details...

What do you think a ball park figure for the total conversion cost would be?

My little spreadsheet of cost shows roughly this break out:

Machine = $2K
    Servo based CNC conversion = $2.5K
    Belt Drive = $600 to $800 depending on motor
    Enclosure = $800

So around $6K+ for what most guys seem to be doing. I have a feeling it will hit $7K by the time I finish things up.

Quote Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
    My little spreadsheet of cost shows roughly this break out:

Machine = $2K
    Servo based CNC conversion = $2.5K
    Belt Drive = $600 to $800 depending on motor
    Enclosure = $800

So around $6K+ for what most guys seem to be doing. I have a feeling it will hit $7K by the time I finish things up.
    Thanks! I think I can live with those numbers. Yours is another real cool thread I recently read. I'm on Pete's right now

I actually just spent a decent amount of cash on getting into scraping. I don't know how successful I'm going to be, but if I can get the knack, I might be able to put together a pretty mean CNC mill with help from you guys.
    After some practice, I'm gonna start by scraping my x2, and if that works for me I'm sure I'll do the 45

Anyhow, I'll stop threadjacking now. I just wanted to say hi and again, real nice work!

For me I know it's about space, because for the $7K I'm putting into this thing I could have bought a CNC knee mill easily, or $10K for a Tormach, but neither of those options fit in my corner of the garage with the car in place. Keep that in mind.

Page 29 of 29 19272829