587,394 active members*
3,542 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Bought a 770, call electrician to get a new outlet and shocked?
Page 3 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    United Rental (some places, anyway) has an "engine" hoist with >1 ton capacity and enough boom to lift the 1100 over the stand, AND the legs fit under the stand (or around it, forget which) so the load is always within the legs. You will need around 10 feet of height (I did it with 108" but had room to go into the joist space). About $50 a day. Substantially bigger than other engine hoists. A big-enough hoist, and a couple of careful operators, will have no trouble setting up as described. After that, a pallet jack works just fine for minor adjustments.
    I ordered a 1100 machine and delivery will be next week or so. I reviewed all the videos on lifting and placement on youtube and did not see anything to exciting. But reading this has me in scramble mode now. Does it take 10ft of ceiling to lift and set with lifting kit?
    My home garage is, as most are about 9ft 6" with drywall and insulation will this be a major pain and should I just plan on cutting it?
    Also Any other pointers on machine placement or "I would have done different had I known" things, would love to have them?

Just for grins I will note here that I purchase 100 ft of conduit, couplers, 4xboxes, 2 heavy duty 110v outlets, 2 pole 20a breaker, 1 pole 20a breaker, clamps,..... all for about 75$ the copper wire to pull in those conduits cost $210.00 wow

Thanks in advance for any help
    mD

MD,

You shouldn't have any problem. I did this alone and I'll be 75 in January. The 1100 comes in two boxes, so they will easily pass through the garage door. An engine hoist from Horror Freight did the heavy lifting. As I recall, I had to angle the lift for clearance and also maybe some 4x4 blocks. There are several good videos available. I watched the one with the NY guy. Tormach PCNC 1100 - Final prep for stand and mill. Ch. 8 - YouTube

Hi john.
    Thanks for quick answers. I jumped up and re-measured and reviewed dimensions on machine then figured its ok.
    I'm trying to avoid as many problems as possible doing this because I to will have about 0.000 help setting machine.
    When I was young, "long time ago" I use to rig and operate so couple thousand pounds don't scare me much lifting and moving.
    But thinking back 99% of those picks were not precision machines that I paid for so I figure I better have a good plan.
    Horror freight lift is also what I was looking at because rentals were no better or in a very questionable condition.
    Figured I could mod, repurpose and wall mount the engine lift arm when done to hold tools and lcd monitor. "just kidding"
    Looking forward to reading, learning and helping on this forum where I can! this was my 2nd post

mD

MD, if you can borrow a pallet jack, it might be helpful. I almost bought a nice (made in USA) one for $100.00, but with a little creativity, I got by with just the engine hoist.

I have a floor mounted hoist, so its limited as to what I can do with it. I picked the machine off the pickup, and set it on the stand outside the garage, then moved it inside with a chain comealong, with two holes in the concrete floor at strategic points to winch it into place.

The wiring was already done as my shop was in the garage before the Tormach, and I had an extra 230 drop in there for it.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by mike sr1 View Post
    I have a floor mounted hoist, so its limited as to what I can do with it. I picked the machine off the pickup, and set it on the stand outside the garage, then moved it inside with a chain comealong, with two holes in the concrete floor at strategic points to winch it into place.

The wiring was already done as my shop was in the garage before the Tormach, and I had an extra 230 drop in there for it.
    We had same teacher I guess. I had planned on bolting a plate to floor in garage in case I needed a snatch block mount to winch the crated machine and pallet jack up my sloped driveway. " slopes maybe 1.5 feet in 22 feet with a couple 1/2 expansion joints. that the pallet jack will hang on also. betting this is not needed but again I don't want to run around trying to solve problems. I just want the crates inside garage safe and sound. Then I can move around and set machine in one of the only 2 gears I have left, SLOW, with dead stop being the other gear.
    mD

Moving the assembled machine doesn't require any special equipment. I move my machines using nothing but a crowbar and some blocks of wood. It only moves about an inch with each application of the crowbar, but that is enough. About a year ago I moved my 2500# knee mill more than 20 feet that way, and positioned it precisely where I wanted it.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Does it take 10ft of ceiling to lift and set with lifting kit? mD
    Sorry if I misled. 108" is 9 feet; if I recall correctly, the angles encountered with the United Rental hoist left me very close to, or slightly into, my joist space, and I was glad I didn't have a ceiling to contend with. Depending on the hoist used and where it is, a little over 9 feet could be enough for an overhead lift. My point in posting was to report a verified rental lift and the constraints I hit using it- didn't mean to imply a minimum 10 feet!

The other thing I learned the hard way was wall clearance. Eighteen inches all round is a really convenient distance! Less will work...but after 3 years in place and a bit of shuffling about, my machine has now settled 18" from the nearest wall. If you have the luxury of no space constraints, leave room.

Thanks for heads up on height. And also on placement, it made me double check and I figured you had different equipment. I was worried z motor might hit up there.
    Also I plan to set machine with back to garage door. I don't Use that door and it even has an auto opener for very easy access to back of machine. All future machines going in or out will have to use the other garage door. And as per every specification I could find the door will clear the machine head going up and down so I should be good. There is even nice row of glass windows in garage door to light the back of the machine in the evenings.
    Thanks again for all the input
    All the information here is helping a great deal.
    mD

Re: Bought a 770, call electrician to get a new outlet and shocked?

do the cabling from outlet to pannel then have it aprouved by electrician all you need is amperage you require and such and you can hook it up ( if its just 220 regular)

Re: Bought a 770, call electrician to get a new outlet and shocked?

Probably done by now!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Page 3 of 3 123