588,404 active members*
4,616 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > SHOW YOUR DUST BOOT/PICK-UP SHOE...
Page 3 of 6 12345

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by cnczane View Post
    MC,

VER-y nice. Goodonya.
    Thanks zane!

I cut all the parts for the mounts for my home switches today... So I finally had a chance to try the new dust shoe and dust deputy and light out...

I'm happy to say, that virtually 'nothing' escaped..

I'll be installing a 3/4" brush around the perimeter of the shoe later on... and then I think dust issues will be something I pretty much 'never' worry about...

Now if I could just do something about all the noise... Will have to build me a sound box for it soon...

Love the light too.. It's nice and bright and I'm not struggling to see the center mark on the material, plus an added benefit is that I can use the light to set the height of the dust shoe as it instantly appears the moment I adjust it up off of the work surface...

This dust deputy is 'awesome'.. nothing gets to the vacuum...

Awesome set up. I never thought of installing a light in my dust shoe. May I ask where you purchased that circular light set up from?

Quote Originally Posted by boomerize View Post
    Awesome set up. I never thought of installing a light in my dust shoe. May I ask where you purchased that circular light set up from?
    Got it from eBay..
    Search for "Angel eye light" or similar...

Hi all,
    Forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know here. When I made my dust shoe I searched far and wide for an appropriate brush material. I found out that it is called "strip brush" and McMaster Carr sells it. They don't ship to where I am but I think you can get it there. I searched vacuum cleaner stores/repair shops, internet, home depot,etc.. Most vacuum repair shops have a box or two of old fittings and some of them have nice strip brushes but they are generally too short and the guys want good $ for the fittings - none would just sell me the brushes alone. I found one place that sells exactly what we need for this(~3" and higher brushes on 4' strips) but they would only sell in large quantity.

The closest thing I found is the door sweeper weather stripping. The brushes are only about 3/4 in high but the strips are long enough to wrap around the shoe.

What I ended up doing is using a strip of thick felt about 3 inches high and I backed it with the shorter 3/4" strip brush from the weather stripping. This keeps the felt from getting sucked in toward the vacuum hose. It actually works pretty well.

"Strip brush" (well all right, then...)

Thank you, Plan B. It's good information to have in this thread.

The moment I saw the phrase, I immediately remembered too another fellow's "very reasonably priced solution."

He bought a mess of paintbrushes and sawed the handles off and affixed them around the outside. (I'm already wondering how those throwaway foam brushes would stand up to the vacuum. I expect the wood might be a little hard on them though.)
    --
    Dan

I'm building a machine now (wood) and have been watching this thread.

In regards to the length of skirt / skirt material / material damage ....

I like the sounds of the dual approach, fairly short brush stock for general work, and longer for deep cuts, foam and such. I was thinking thin neoprene, like the wet suits (shouldn't damage foam). Could be held on with velcro tabs maybe, provides two configurations.

I've seen a lot of 'adult beverage' wraps (coozies here) made of 1/8" neoprene. Seen piles of 'em in the clearance bins if your not picky about the logos/pics on them. (Seemed appropriate somehow ).

Oh, got me some of those lights coming, that's cool.

Thanks all,
    BobL.

P.S. Oh I forgot, gotta love Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Neoprene sounds very good--I think my dust collector would swallow them, but I wonder about making a neoprene sandwich of two or more layers, with a penny between?

(Oh, right, like you were going to BUY something with them??)

I don't like my flat-wide shapes but I had to do it in order to keep them heavy enough not to be sucked up, and even at that I failed. I'd prefer individual finger shapes (but there goes the penny idea). My son brought me some split-shot yesterday from an old tackle box and that might be useful.

What I'd like: it seems:
    Soda straws made of neoprene that I can fill with lead shot so they stay down-boy-down, and I can sew Raggedy-Andy style around the boot.'

Source for rubber non-marring soda straws? Anybody?
    --
    Dan

Source for rubber non-marring soda straws? Anybody?
    Dear Somebody,

Start a company.

You know who you are.
    --
    Dan

FYI dust shoe

I just finished my home designed and built router today and thought the first thing to make on the machine would be a dusts shoe. Went looking on CNCzone for what others had done. Since I did that I thought if a good idea to share.

I made this out of scrap plywood some left over magnets and a brush purchased from a ebay seller.

Works like a charm if I do say so my self, with a 2" shop vac hose running from my shop vacuum.

The brush was the most expense , as I said the brush was from ebay item # 130698791123.

The magnets I had left from another project, a setting gauge for my jointer.

Dust shoe, My design dust shoe installed on router

Dust shoe, My design dust shoe installed on router

Dust shoe, Dust shoe showing magnets

Dust shoe, Dust shoe showing brush

Dust shoe, Dust shoe showing router mounting ring with magnets
    Roy - Pahrump, NV USA

Soda? SODA?

Oh sorry, lost control.

I was thinking the inner brushes would help keep the skirt in place like Plan B reported. But yeah, if you JUST wanted the soft neoprene. Hmmm. Soda straws huh?

BobL.

I wanted mine to take up less space:

Sven
    http://www.puresven.com/?q=building-cnc-router

Here are some photos of my dust shoe for a Kress spindle. The dust shoe is two parts held together by magnets. I made four shoes, three with nylon brushes of different lengths which are working well. One dust shoe using long lengths of artist foam hasn't worked so well because the soft foam gets sucked into the cutter. The fourth photo show the dust shoes with nylon brushes of different lengths in a holder mounted next to my router. The drawings are not quite what I built (for one, they're reversed). The dust shoes are described more fully in my build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ry_router.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120903-5.jpg   120903-2.jpg   120903-4.jpg   120903-3.jpg  

120903-1.jpg   110618-7.jpg   110618-2.jpg   110618-4.jpg  

Dust shoe

This works great fitted to my Joe's 2006
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dust shoe2.jpg   dust shoe.jpg  

Hey guys, last night I had some time so cut the bottom of my boot design in acrylics plexiglas.
    The brush is from mccaster.com it is 3" long. I have yet to test how it works.
    I used an amana tool 2 flute flat end for plastic.

I need to make a revision with a tighter slit for the brush. I am wondering what everyone uses to affix / glue their brushes?
    I am currently using "superglue"

I intend on using hot glue. Hot glue and Duct tape are the 2 things I prob despise most....but for this/my application? Hot glue! its easy and allows for replacement of the material with minimal cleanup.
    2¢.
    -S
    BTW: Nice job. What kind of cutter did you use and speed, feed and passes?

Dust Shoe thoughts after a couple years of use.

Hi,

I haven't checked this thread in a long time and thought back on my design and how it has worked for me over the last several years. I did a lot of research at the time and checked out what I thought was the best features that others had implemented and incorporated them into my design along with my own ideas. Check out Post #74 and associated video.

When I cut the slots for the brushes I cut some sample widths on a piece of scrap Plexiglas to get the correct width slot for the brush material I chose. I made it a tight fit and didn't utilize any glue for the brushes. I pressed the brushes down into the slot with a straight blade screwdriver. So far I haven't had any issues with the brush material coming lose from the machined slot. I made 3 different bottom shoes each one with different length brushes. I made 1 1/2", 2" and 3" length brushes. I don't do a lot of 3D routing so I find that I use the 2" brush most of the time. The idea of making the brush 4" in diameter and having a plenum chamber from the 4" suction hose has worked quite well. Like I said in my original post by making the brush only 4" in diameter it allowed me to get closer to the edge of routed parts while losing the minimal amount of suction. Furthermore, holding the lower brush plate(s) in position with magnets has worked without any flaws making tool changes a breeze. Also, the cyclone chip collector and Harbor Freight Dust collector really put the icing on the cake.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their ideas as it has helped me make a really nice dust collection system for my CNC router.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by the.sniper View Post
    I intend on using hot glue. Hot glue and Duct tape are the 2 things I prob despise most....but for this/my application? Hot glue! its easy and allows for replacement of the material with minimal cleanup.
    2¢.
    -S
    BTW: Nice job. What kind of cutter did you use and speed, feed and passes?

I used an AMANA TOOL Mirror finish O flute bit. #51411
    Solid Carbide Spiral Plastic 'O' Flute -ToolsToday.com- Industrial Quality Solid Carbide Bits

54.0 IPM @ 20,000 rpm Conventional cut.

Magnetic Dust Shoe

Hey Guys;
    This is a bad shot of my two piece dust shoe with laser for x-y zeroing. The top is lexan (I think) and the bottom is plywood. The bottom brush section (3") separates form the top for tool access. It's held together by 6 magnets embedded in the top and bottom and uses 2 each 1/4 inch dowels for alignment. It is serviced by a harbor freight dust collector and is on a XYZTech 1212 router. It's the best design I've built to date and I'll admit, not my idea. I saw a similar unit on this forum sometime in the past but just makes sense to use magnets for a quick change.
    Hope this is helpful to someone.
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dust Shoe.jpg  
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

My DC is rather simple, it has a quick lock on the slides..works well, do a lot of 3D stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cncmods1004.jpg  

Page 3 of 6 12345