Hi there.

This is a continuation of this thread: saturn 2 4x4 questions
Thought I would start a build thread.

First off, as others have said, I am very happy with the build of this machine.

Here is it's current state:

Those tan cables are temporary. Decided to go with something else. You can see I already pulled the new cable. (Gray)

Attachment 395398
Attachment 395400

And one from before:

Attachment 395402

It's stalled a bit waiting on some parts.I forgot how much work went into getting my desktop CNC up and running.

Here is what I have so far:
Controller: Smooth stepper
BOB: 5 Axis Breakout Board
but will replace with a C25
Spindle Driver: WJ200-022SF
Spindle: Typical "four bearing in" 2.2kw. Seems a little better than most.
Sensor cables: EVC326 and connector
Motor Cable: MCTC-18-4S-1
Computer: Lenovo M93p
And all the related bit's and bobs. No wonder I have no money!

That M93p is really working out well so far. If you clean up the OS it performs really well. At least so far.
Small enough to fit in my controller box. Side note, I like my computers that run moving machines to be dedicated.
In other words it never goes on the LAN or WAN. If you don't go on a network you don't need to install security updates every boot.
Just the way I like it.

I've done some tuning but just enough to give me an idea what I have. No sense in doing all that work until everything is sitting in the controller box.
With that said, even with a gantry I know I need to square, I'm seeing really nice numbers.
Last test I had a dial indicator set at zero and with gcode I moved the y axis back 400mm, paused, and then come back. Usually the dial hits within a thou or so.
I can work with those numbers. Just need to squeeze a little juice to get where I need to be.
Nice work Nate!!

Now whether it moved 400mm I don't know. Close enough for now. I tuned it with a 4mm move. That part needs work.

I did make one massive mistake with this project. I decided to document the process on YouTube.
Just tripped my work and slowed it down by a factor of 4.
But, too late now. Might was well follow through. Someone might find it useful.

The controller box is painted and I hope to be done with wiring in a week,

That's it for now.
Later.

Edit: Did the forum just place an ad in my "dial indicator" text? Sneaky ********.