588,657 active members*
5,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Open Source CNC Machine Designs > Any Canadians out there want to work on and help design an affordable cnc?
Page 3 of 4 1234
    I am Canadian. I moved to Florida 3 years ago tho. Grew up in NS but lived in Missisauga near some of you guys for a while too. Wish I discovered a group like this back then. I have been wanting to make a cnc mill for 15 years or so but the mechanics doesnt come easy for me...the electronics and software does though. If I can do anything for you guys from down here let me know.

Also, I just scored a lot of 8020 aluminum extrusions on ebay for a good price.

Colin

PCB design

I can do PCB design and im from B.C. I have done stepper driver boards and have some for sell on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by p-cad View Post
    I can do PCB design and im from B.C. I have done stepper driver boards and have some for sell on ebay.
    you the guy from Nelson selling drivers on ebay ?

moved
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

hey guys,Im from Waterford,Ontario just south of Brantford.My cnc is pictured in the cnc zones gallery under the name Ged.I could probably help you guys with finding parts here in Canada or designing.But as far as cheap goes,Ive got over 3000.oo into my little project .Ive used hiwin linear rails,gecko vampires,500 oz triple stack nema's,3/4" rolled ballscrews etc.Working envelope is 38"x32"Machine is very strong and accurate.Metal scrapyards are a great place to look for alum extrusions if they will let you in.Factories are constantly scrapping out machinery = linear rails(old pick n place machines)alum extrusions etc.Ive even seen servos,steppers and power supplies(i found a power one 24volt,10 amp power supply for 5 bucks.Cant go wrong going into a scrap yard!

Hi I'm in Victoria BC and I have mulling over the idea of building a CNC machine capable of machining aluminum. I am able to create 3d renderings using Solidworks. I am having trouble deciding what type of design I should use so that the machine is stable enough for decent tolerances and little warping. It's only going to be a small 2'x3' size or slightly larger depending on design. Any insight or links to good designs I can use would be great or anyone in the area that might be able to give me some help.

I lived in Los Angeles 35 years, population 12 million.
    I was worried that the San Francisco bay area might be too small for me with only 4 million. I was right, half the machine shop stuff has to be shipped from LA.
    Less smog here, but way too cold, it gets down to 38 here.
    I can see why Canada has such a small population.
    I went skiing once, in the mountians, too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERCAMMASTER View Post
    I lived in Los Angeles 35 years, population 12 million.
    I was worried that the San Francisco bay area might be too small for me with only 4 million. I was right, half the machine shop stuff has to be shipped from LA.
    Less smog here, but way too cold, it gets down to 38 here.
    I can see why Canada has such a small population.
    I went skiing once, in the mountians, too cold.
    ive noticed out of 11 posts youve added to the forums ,it looks as though 50% are in reguards to Canada and ice and snow , have you ever been here? if not maybe you should , you'd probably learn something .

Canada is a beautifull and Proud country
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Canada LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    ive noticed out of 11 posts youve added to the forums ,it looks as though 50% are in reguards to Canada and ice and snow , have you ever been here? if not maybe you should , you'd probably learn something .

Canada is a beautifull and Proud country
    I'm sorry I've been making fun of your countries weather, some people like snow and ice in the winter. Don't worry, global warming will take care of that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTERCAMMASTER View Post
    I can go outside at anytime of the day or night without worring about freezing to death.
    Canada, lol
    taken from another thread in the Canadian clubhouse , Canada LOL ???

its not about the weather , Canadians have a sense of humour when it comes to that as well as most things , an eduducated man would have a better understanding of a country right next door

you probably should have stayed in LA i understand it s going to fall into the ocean sooner or later
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

^ lol

i'm new here but looking for long time.
    i'm from canada in quebec i'm looking to built a cnc.i have no backgroung in cnc but i want to learn. looking for plans and parts in canada.
    i want to cut aluminum,router or plasma???
    thank's
    Mario

Just to say hi, I live in Antigonish, Nova Scotia - Take the Trans-Canada east, turn at the lights (seriously).

I've wanted to build a CNC machine for quite some time now, and I'm finally starting to buy stuff. I have motors for my first 2 projects, and a controller for the first one. I'm going to be using ground shafting as the "ways" unless anything better comes up.

Oh, and by the way, it was FrankG's website that got me interested. Machine 1 is going to be mainly foamcutting for casting just like he uses it for.

Hi I am from Quebec, Canada.

I would like to build one too, I find out that my poor skill to replicate stuffs on wood and plastic are quite bad, and the only way to get what I want in perfect dimension is to use a CNC machine. I want replicate free energy device.

I am a software engineer and I am in the process of learning programming with pic microchip, so I would able to help for the controller later, I see on the web the existing controller seam to be complex but its could be a lot simpler by using only one big chip instead of 3 to control all the motors and cheaper to produce at the same time. Even adding an LCD on the board to know what is going on with the controller (temperature etc..) .

Also its seam to be a fun project to do!

For the Canadian Club stuffs, I can help, I have a lot of space and bandwidth on my web account. Like we can have a forum to host all informations relative to where to buy our hardware in Canada Or organize a group to buy stuffs and get a better price etc...

Hey guys, great thread! im from mississuaga,ontario and a noob to this as well. I'm just reading and learning all tha i can from this site. Are there any members in mississauga or surrounding areas who have a machine. Id like to drop by watch some operate.

I created a new site about CNC http://www.cncfreak.com.

I have a forum also so we can put all our stores link in it if you want, I can create new section too. http://www.cncfreak.com/forums/index.php

I'm Canadian so for sure I want to buy more stuffs as possible in Canada instead of USA. So far its hard!

I buy my used step motors on ebay (US).

I would like aluminum like 8020 inc on ebay but from Canada. Don't know if I can find the Aluminum Framing tube that I want to use for my CNC.

Anyway I have some free tools on my site too related to electronics.

Welcom Labidus.
    Here is a Canadian co.with T-Slots similar to 80/20.
    http://www.automationsupply.ca/
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

lgalla:

Thank for your reply.

From the online web site I see nothing related to aluminum square tubing like I am looking for. The product you are talking are visible from the web site?

What I am looking for is this kind of products:

Square tube:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/8020-Aluminum-Qu...QQcmdZViewItem

Corner Connector:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/8020-Quick-Frame...QQcmdZViewItem

So I can build my CNC Frame very easily.
    http://www.cncfreak.com

you can get that 1" square tubing at princess auto

The one from 8020 are very different. They are stronger due to the form, they have round corner and have some line to make then stronger. You can put nylon connector to connect with other tube.

The one you are talking about have no connector made for them, and they don't support well connector because the tube is not made to connect with other connector. Also they cost a lot more

The objective to buy in Canada is to save money not to pay higher

Unless I am wrong, they are no good for my need.

Sound like I will need to buy from USA again!
    http://www.cncfreak.com

Page 3 of 4 1234