588,637 active members*
5,843 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ddexd View Post
    As far as spindle speed goes, I did notice when I was making repairs to the control boards when I bypassed the digital potentiometer that I could get the spindle speed up to 2500+ rpm. With a working digital potentiometer installed the maximum spindle speed is only 1730 rpm.

Neil, definitely would like to see your board design to replace the standard SX3 control boards.
    Oh good, I'm glad to see that it can go faster. Thanks for that. I did try the old motor with the new circuit boards and it did not accelerate correctly. It sort of jumped a bit on acceleration which I'm guessing would be incorrect feed forward / PID tuning in the new controller circuit. It didn't go any faster, either; I think the controller is closing the velocity loop.

Hi Chrisjh, can you please provide details of the switching chip IC please. My board failed only after 2 hours of use (I hope it hasn't blown the main motor controller as well). The problem is that my board was wedged in an it got damaged as I was dismantling it so I now have a broken board which I am wonder in I can repair. So anyone who can provide a circuit diagram I would be grateful, or any advise on where I can get a replacement.

Thanks

Alex

Smile The chip is..

If it is a late model Motor control PCB in the X3 the switchmode chip (u201) is VIPer22a from ST
    Data:
    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&ct...kUBsRSFbsF7e8w
    If it is an early PCB without the piggy back PCB is a TNY268PN
    Data sheet:
    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&ct...6NeYNSxXot1gvw
    I know most of the chips that have been ground off.
    IMHO the older PCB is a better design.
    Chinese grown BLDC can't be as good a tried and tested design from Motorola.

They don't grind the tops off to hide them from us here.
    It's so their CN neighbors don't clone them!

Neil
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Thanks for these pictures they were able to help me identify a small surface mount resister than just "brushed off" the board (so much for the soldering techniques) when I was pulling out my failed controller. I saw it tumble into a sea of saw dust and filings so I have no hope of recovering it. So can anyone help and tell me what value R23 is on the controller board please - also any help with part numbers would help as well.

Thanks

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ddexd View Post
    neilw20, thanks for the help.

Just in case the hall sensors are out I went ahead and ordered a few from Digikey. By the way the Allegro A3141 hall sensors have been replaced with an updated model Allegro A1101.

I traced S1 down and it goes to the tapping switch. Connections K3 & K4 are wired to the ESTOP button and the chip guard door. The two switches appear to be wired in series.

The small pink colored connector is wired to the control panel mounted on the front of the mill.

I've attached a couple of photos of the connector and the pin labels. The first 3-photos are of the control panel and the last is of the motor PCB.

I also put in a call to Grizzly tech support and I was promised that one of their electrical support folks would be calling me back within 24hours.

Can you take a picture?

Alex.

Can you take a picture of your problem area.

I haven't got access to back of SX3 at present, but will have a look if your PCB matches my model PCB's.

Are you taking the 7 hour drive to the BBQ?:wave:

Neil

Page 3 of 3 123