588,507 active members*
5,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123
    I dig this machine... big time. I will definitely be looking at it when i build my machine.

Its basically a copy of the K2 machines. I got it running right again, thank god. I had the router plugged into the same circuit as the contrller, and the computer into a diferent circuit. It was going crazy, just from that.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Halfnutz
    Ready to start cutting, but I gotta go to work. I decided to use this little 11 amp, 1.5 HP router that I have. I started making mounts for a Porter Cable, but my boring bar wont cut any larger than the 3.3 inches that this thing is. The Porter Cable's are a full 3.5 inches in diameter. Thinking about it, I dont know why I didn't just bore it on the lathe, oh well. I hope this Milwaulkie has enough guts. I'll find out this evening, after work.

Man this is stuff is all consuming. I havent even gotten the Harley out this year yet, I've been so involved in CNC. Thats pretty lame, a brand new Hog just sitting there, 'cause I cant stand to pry myself away from the CNC machines! Crazy! I must be half nuts. It sure is alot of fun thiough, and some day I hope to be making parts for Harley's with a CNC machine. I can get cheap blank points, clutch, tranny and air filter covers from China and custom engrave them, then have them re-chromed and sell them at swap meets.

I'll post again in a day or so with my first actual cuttings.

Came home for lunch, I couldn't wait.......

Hehe! got mine out a month ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0006.JPG  

Very nice work Halfnutz. I have been thinking about my Z axis setup and trying to decide whether or not I want to make it where I can move the whole plate attachment on the slide itself up and down like you have yours. Or I might just go ahead and space another mounting hole below the top mounts on the gantry legs to just drop the whole Y axis down while leaving the Z in place.

My main objective is to be able to fit a 40" wood lathe on the table as a 4th axis and still have most of its working swing area free to mount stock for cutting. I will not have to go deeper than the centerline of the 4th axis for any cutting. But if I were to leave everything mounted that high for table level cutting I think the fulcrum affect would be magnified. This should keep things as low and stiff as possible for normal use and having the extra gantry leg sticking off the top shouldn't be an issue.

So many design choices to consider its great to have so many others trials/failures and successes to use as a basis for designing. Again nice work, well done. :cheers:

Bowman

You, sir, know how to build a machine! Good looking job, I'm jealous!

rebuild

Very nice job , congrats . I,m in the middle of a rebuild and asking some advice. for starters what is the hieght of your gantry from bottom plate to the top.I,m just trying to figure out what to make mine. my machine was driven from one side only and was giving me a bit of a problem so I,m deciding to put the X-drive down the middle like yours. here are some pics of what it looked like and where it stands now . I,m going to use as much of the old machine as posible. Any advice would be apreciated and any specs you would like to share would be very appreciated.I, ve got a make shift drawing of what I see in my mind and it,s kinda like your machine. Thanks Corrie, cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0361.jpg   100_0362.jpg   100_1220.jpg   100_1224.jpg  

100_1223.jpg   cnc3.jpg  

I measured the total length of the side plate and its 20 inches, but to be honest if I did it again I would make them shorter. Sometimes it flexes and I have never needed the extra height. When I first made the machine I thought the extra height would be useful but honestly I have never needed it and it creates vibrations when cutting some materials like aluminum. I'm building another one and I am making the side plates much shorter. The most Z height I've ever needed was a couple of inches.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the responce . What else will be different about your new build besides the gantry sides and what will become of your old machine,cheers.

Well, I'm still using the machine, it works fine so I didn't tear it apart. The new one I'm working on is a larger format, about 36'' wide by 50'' long with motors on both sides of the long axis. Ive got two Yaskawa 200 Watt ac drives and motors with absolute encoders that have batteries so they remember thier position one for each side. The idea is to be able to set it over a piece of plywood and work a section of a full sheet. I have the gantry and z axis done I'm just stuck on driving the long axis without having a screw underneath, exactly what you had problems with. I dont know weather I'll end up running two belts or two racks yet. Here are some pictures of what I've done so far, but I kinda got stuck with these absolute encoders. Just wiring them and setting up the drives is crazy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GantrySlide01.JPG   GantrySlide03.JPG   YAxisServo01.JPG   ZAxisServo01.JPG  

Halfnutz

Well it looks like a fantastic start thats for sure, would like to help with the electronics but when it comes to that I,m not to keen.Seeings I already have a Y&Z assembly I thought of another way of doing my gantry, what do ya think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc4.jpg  

That is similar to some really rigid designs I've seen and will give you the added height as well. Brace the inside of the corners and you will add even more stiffness!
    Halfnutz

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by corrie View Post
    Very nice job , congrats . I,m in the middle of a rebuild and asking some advice. for starters what is the hieght of your gantry from bottom plate to the top.I,m just trying to figure out what to make mine. my machine was driven from one side only and was giving me a bit of a problem so I,m deciding to put the X-drive down the middle like yours. here are some pics of what it looked like and where it stands now . I,m going to use as much of the old machine as posible. Any advice would be apreciated and any specs you would like to share would be very appreciated.I, ve got a make shift drawing of what I see in my mind and it,s kinda like your machine. Thanks Corrie, cheers.
    Nice machine you have there.:rainfro:
    Are thoes bellows homemade? Sewn or glued?
    Thanks for posting, do you have a build thread?

Hello Mr Chips, the bellows were purchased, the material is like a neoprean inside with a weaved type material on the outside and are sowen. I don,t have a build log of this machine, but soon as I get some 1/2 inch toolling plate I,ll post as I go along.I finished tripple checking my measurements today and will be placing my order.? whats the difference between ball screw and lead screw? What would be best for my setup keeping in mind that I,ve previously run this machine for 6 to 8 hours at a time, cheers and thanks, by the way like what you are doing Mr. Nuts.

Halfnutz,

Spend a lot of my time scrounging for aluminum & brass at IMS, Irvine (Santa Ana??)
    Have you noticed how the prices of cut stock have been escelating?
    DIX was always a better source for random cuts when they were in the area, but
    since they moved to Huntington Beach I haven't used them. Do you know if they
    have a surplus stock outlet at the new location?

Enjoy watching your thread, you are doing some real good stuff!!

W. Smith, Mission Viejo, CA

Thanks, CNCFun&Games, I haven't been doing much lately, but I probably turn on my machines and play around cutting air almost every day, I just love to watch and listen to the music.....

Yes IMS is where I shop usually and I have definately noticed the prices skyrocket. I remember when I built my first machine, I came home with so much metal it was great, for less than a hundred bucks I got an incredible amount of stuff. Now thats what they want for a couple of pieces of aluminum. I've never been to the place in Long Beach, is it any cheaper? Probably the same as everything is tied to price per pound that the metal's going for as scrap.

I would love to know of some scrap yards around here to rumage through, I bet there are a few in Santa Ana, but I dont know where.

Ebay is where I get most of my extrusions at, but 80/20 prices went through the roof as well over the last couple of years.

It probably has something to do with China buying so much raw goods.
    Halfnutz

I must appologize,I feel that I have high-jacked this thread with my own rebuild log . How can I move my recent posts to my own thread, pictures and all, once agian sorry for budding in,thanks, Corrie.

HELP! I am trying to figure out a decent way of holding 1/8 in. or 3/16 in. endmill shanks in my 1/4 in. router collet. I tried making something today, but I dont trust it and would like to see what others have done instead of re-inventing the wheel.

After much searching I went down to the local Sears hardware department and picked up a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for about $8.00. It's intended for a Rotozip so it's rated for high rpm. Holds the bit with an Allen setscrew and seems acurate enough for most work.

a collet adapter woodcraft.com has them as well as most places that sells bits.

Page 3 of 3 123