588,014 active members*
6,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: tormach mill

Page 3 of 5 12345
    Lazlo,

The Tormach actually has 5 slots in the table. 3 are T slots and the 2 outside slots are drainage channels only. Also you seem to have forgotten your error in the weight comparison.

I have a Tormach sitting in my garage along side an RF 40 clone which I believe has the same table arrangement as an RF45. I can assure you there is very little similarity. The Tormach table arrangment is much more massive. The shorter travel of the x axis is actually mostly due to the the greater width of the casting on which it travels. The hole in the front of the table is for installation and removal of the ball screw (it's the only way in and out). There is no sign of any provision for the fitting of handwheels on either the x axis or Y axis.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo
    Phil,

A 5/8" T-slot uses 1/2" studs -- they have the same T-Slots.
    You've also got the X and Y-axis' swapped on the two comparisons.

The Tormach specs say 3 T-Slots, but they have 4 T-slot channels. Either way you count, if you look closely at the photos, the RF-45 table and the PCNC table have the same T-Slot configuration.

So with those corrections, the comparison table looks like:

Grizzly:
    Table size: 9-1/2" x 32-1/4"
    Table travel: 7-1/2" x 21-5/8"
    T-slots: 4 slots, 5/8", 1/2" studs

Tormach
    Table Size: 9 1/2" x 31 1/2"
    Table Travel: 10" x 16”
    Table Slots: 4 slots, 5/8", 1/2" studs

I'm guessing the reason for the Tormach has a shorter X-travel is because they use duplex ballscrew nuts.

In any event, as PStockley explained, the PCNC is based off a Chinese CNC chassis, with Tormach (USA) CNC controls. That explains the similarity of the base machine.

So, who has the most recent Tormach mill??

My machine is from the very first batch from Oct of last year. My machine's is S/N #14.

Just got SB0006 in the mail a couple days ago with a heatsink to go on the VFD. I thought it was odd that it is for machines with S/N# less than 38, but the letter says something like "I appologize for sending this change if you don't already have your machine..."

I know Greg said they are selling faster than they can produce them, but I figured he would have hit 38 machines by now...

So, just wondering if anyone has a S/N close to 38??

Dave

I have serial number 37. Shipped in Mid March this year. I have also just received a notice from the UPS that something is in the post from Tormach. I quess its a heatsink for the VFD.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dammachines
    My machine is from the very first batch from Oct of last year. My machine's is S/N #14.

Just got SB0006 in the mail a couple days ago with a heatsink to go on the VFD. I thought it was odd that it is for machines with S/N# less than 38, but the letter says something like "I appologize for sending this change if you don't already have your machine..."

I know Greg said they are selling faster than they can produce them, but I figured he would have hit 38 machines by now...

So, just wondering if anyone has a S/N close to 38??

Dave

My Tormach just arrived and it is #067. The ways are nearly as large as my Enco full-size vertical mill. For fit and finish it's no Hardinge but for the money it's a pretty hefty machine. The only thing benchtop about this mill is that you have to put it on one.

Serial Number

I read in a post somewhere that there are up to 100 Tormach mills per container load. There seems to have been a few delivery batches. Not sure why the serial numbers of mills being delivered are not much higher in the number ranges yet than 68. Maybe a lot of their Tormach tooling and such per container and not so many mills.

I would really like to buy one of these and have finally gotten the money together for the mill, stand and 4th axis. Unfortunately Tormach is guesstimating fall as a delivery timeframe at the earliest to just order one and have it ship as opposed to preordering and waiting for the boat to come in.

So now I am looking for something that can be retrofitted like a BP Boss.

I think 16 to 20 might be a closer number per container.

Regards
    Phil

[QUOTE=WarHammer]I read in a post somewhere that there are up to 100 Tormach mills per container load. QUOTE]

Mills in a container

Here is where I saw the 100 count per container.

> --- In tormach1100@***********.com, "Dan" <danll_99@> wrote:
    > >
    > > Jeff,
    > > 100 pcnc1100's fit in a container per Greg at Tormach. You in
    the
    > > May container? We get an extra 2" on the X axis.

If its the 16-20 per your post then the serial numbers sound about right I guess. That must add a fair amount for freight per machine with that kind of count per container.
    I am going to keep moving up the Rhino learning curve while I figure out what to buy.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by WarHammer
    Here is where I saw the 100 count per container.

> --- In tormach1100@***********.com, "Dan" <danll_99@> wrote:
    > > May container? We get an extra 2" on the X axis.
    "extra 2 inches" as in 18" of X travel now? If so, will this be on all of them from now on?

18" on the X Axis

Yes they are all supposed to be 18" on the X axis from the May container on. Their webpage is still not updated on that but the owner replied to an email I sent confirming the change.

Jeff

18" now...

Great... looks like another reason I should have waited before ordering mine...

Guess I knew I was taking a chance geting one from the first batch though...

I also understand there is a BT30 spindle option available. I requested a price quote for the spindle cartridge by itself and the BT30 was only $50 extra.

I have to say at this point if I could get a 16" X axis unit immediately as opposed to waiting months for for an 18" unit I would likely do it all else being equal.
    Jeff

Smile My Tormach is here!!!!

I ordered my Tormach for christmas, I voulenteered to let my unit go,
    to get the new 18" X axis unit, so it was delayed from Feb to June.

After waiting all day for the truck it finnaly arrived at 7:30 this evening!
    I've uncrated everything and started assembling the stand.
    On Wedensday I'll go rent an engine hoist and a pallet jack to
    move/assemble everything.

I can't wait!

So far I haven't really looked at the Mill, but the quality of the
    stand is very impressive, well built well thought out and well packed.

Over the next few days I'll keep everyone posted!

The paperwork from Tormach said serial number 62022
    The outside of the crate said serial number 065.

I haven't used the machine yet, but so far all my interactions with Tormach have been first rate, and after the preliminary inspection I'm impressed with the quality of the machine as well.

Paul

Is the 18" travel X axis table physically longer, or do they just modify it to run the table past 100% dovetail contact?

Congratulations! Im envious, but happy for you. Someday......
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The table is also 2" longer.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by nicad
    Is the 18" travel X axis table physically longer, or do they just modify it to run the table past 100% dovetail contact?

To Phil, you are located in Norway. Did you have to have the motor modified to accomodate the different supply standards ? I ask because I'm interested. In Australia we have 240Volts ar 50Hz unlike the Amercians with their 110 at 60hz.

Tom

Hi Tom, no the machine is 230 v 50 or 60 Hz. You can optionally set it up for 110 V. Norway is 240 50 Hz, it plugs straight in and runs just fine.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by topari
    To Phil, you are located in Norway. Did you have to have the motor modified to accomodate the different supply standards ? I ask because I'm interested. In Australia we have 240Volts ar 50Hz unlike the Amercians with their 110 at 60hz.

Tom

Phil, thanks. I am following your experience with the PCNC closely. I too may buy one. The cost is certainly ball park.

Thanks,
    Tom

My PCNC 1100

I've finished setting up and testing my new PCNC 1100
    I'm very happy with the purchase.
    I was concerned that it's an unknown new machine,
    but based on what I've seen I feel I got more than my $ worth.

I tested the backlash and repeatability and I can detect no backlash
    with my indicator.
    I also tested the runout with and without the tormach tooling system and
    after following the directions ;-) the runout is within +/-0.0005

I'm also in the middle of cnverting a Lathe to CNC,
    and my first PCNC project was to make a part for my lathe toolpost mount.
    It was a fairly hefty chunk of steel, and It went well with no issues.
    It was really nice to put the spindle in manual speed control and run the RPM
    up and down while watching the chip size color etc.... to find the speed/feed sweet spot. I'd never used a VFD before now I'm hooked!

I was either going to purchase this or a HAAS tool room mill.
    I can buy a lot of tooling for 12 to 15K I saved.

The only down side I can see is that as a new machine Tormach and the factory are still sorting things out a bit.
    This leaves a few small details to sort out, but nothing anyone who
    wants a mill is not capable of sorting out.
    Some of my minor issues :

The mounting screws for the 4th axis driver board were not included and
    my junk box is short on metric screws.)

A wire was loose on the back of the Auto/off/on coolant switch so
    so manual worked, auto did not.

The chip tray monting screws are hard to get into place.

Page 3 of 5 12345