587,761 active members*
2,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Need help with a Boxford Duet Lathe/Mill
Page 3 of 3 123

Hybrid View

New language ? you may get some ideas from Heidenhain
    BR

the mods are progressing...

Having whipped out the old controller and replaced it with a board with one PIC and a MAX232, I have managed to get the machine to be controlled by a usb to serial port and some VB software. so far i have implemented XYZ movement, spindle enable, direction and speed. I have written a new control protocol which can be implemented on any communication standard wider than 8 bit and uses no complex maths so can be interpreted with a simple uC. All the tool path and step pattern generation will be implemented on the host computer so it should be interfacable with MACH or any other step generation software. I will hopefully be writing a simple G-code to step expander/translator to control this machine and, if i can figure out how to do it, design it so that each G or M code has a translator file so that new codes can be added quickly and easily by just writing a new translation file.

photos of the mods will be posted in due course. anyone wanting any further info let me know.

It sounds as though you have put an incredible amount of time and thought into this process and I am fascinated with your progress. I have two of these and would be interested to see some pictures when you get an extra minute.

Pretty picture

Here is the pic of the new controller board.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/binraker/2091844638/

I see you have the original power supply. Lucky you, I just have the machine itself. Nice job on the new board. It looks like you are almost finished with your upgrade and will soon have a fully functional machine. That is some great work. Congrats.

Power supply

If you are missing the power supply its not a complex thing to build. There is a 12VDC supply for the electronics, 100VDC for the spindle motor and a 24V supply for the lamp. Then just some relays to control the spindle motor, the PWM board which is not a complex thing to copy or make something to do that job and finally the emergency stop wiring. In fact If you did something similar to me then the PWM board could just be a power MOSFET and some resistors and a diode. Of course i say it would be easy to build but that really all depends if you are comfortable fiddling around with electronics and more importantly mains electronics.

Re: Power supply

I just picked up a really clean Boxford Duet MK2. Unfortunately It did not come with the Boxford software or user manuals. Has anyone been able to convert the MK2 to work with Mach3? Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
    Josh in Florida

Re: Power supply

I have experienced on this recover, If you have old PC ( Death PC with boxford software ) I can help you. to restore to new PC.

You are way ahead of me there. I am comfortable around 440v 3phase electricity but electronics are not my strength. Just knowing that the spindle is 100vdc puts me ahead of where I was. I have a 12vdc and 24 vdc power supply so that just leaves me with the PWM board. Even a diagram that you may have scribbled on a napkin would be a help.

Thanks for all the time you have put into this project. I actually got mine out this past weekend and put it up on the bench again and started taking the covers off so I could compare it to the pictures you have posted.

Re: Need help with a Boxford Duet Lathe/Mill

Hi there. I know this thread is pretty old but I will try to ask. Is anyone can let me know the model of the Duet spindle motor. Recently I bought one without motor. I did a lot of research for it with no luck. I found only couple of pictures showing fraction of the motor label. Any help will be much appreciated.

Re: Need help with a Boxford Duet Lathe/Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Nickgt View Post
    Hi there. I know this thread is pretty old but I will try to ask. Is anyone can let me know the model of the Duet spindle motor. Recently I bought one without motor. I did a lot of research for it with no luck. I found only couple of pictures showing fraction of the motor label. Any help will be much appreciated.

fracmo 451-50-103

100v dc

does anyone have a manual for this? i'm trying to get my mk1 working.

Hi txcowdog

Sales & service for Boxford in the USA is Andrew Manus Ph 704 855 1970
    www.manus.biz
    Mactec54

Hi Mactec,

Thanks for the heads up for Manus.biz I will check with them to see about the possibilities of upgrading the machines I have.

Hi. I need the manuals for the boxford duet.
    Does anybody still have them?
    Thanks

The manuals for the Duet Mk1 is available on the Yahoo discussion forum for Boxford cnc:

BoxfordCNC : Boxford CNC

Software

Does anybody know which version of Boxford software the Duet Mk2 will run on, and if you can get hold of the software from anywhere?

Page 3 of 3 123