587,535 active members*
2,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 39 of 422 2937383940414989139
    Hey all, I have been a back seat reader for a long time now... I work with Bobcad V21 and Fadal, Haas mills, Romi and Haas lathes. I dig making functional scale model stuff like engines/superchargers/drivetrain/wheels... I have enjoyed making a few VQC posts for the Haas SL20/TL2 (mill is very simlar but I have no need). Right now I'm into microprocessors and electronics and I'm planning on moving toward retrofitting my own machines.
    Jet engine is next!
    http://www.floridaame.org/GalleryPages/g1m0186.htm

Hey Evreybody. I found this site looking for help trying to convert files to .cnc or .nc format. I still haven't figured it out.

New (recent), first post, I'm looking at machine shop items and educating myself on CNC, but for the moment don't have the funds or needs. Looking at aluminum milling and CNC is how I got here, but also enjoy woodworking and could see needing a nice CNC table at some point.

most posts aren't replied too

seems this is very much a hobbyists forum and therefore most of the posts that are useful to me or them ones i have posted haven't been replied to. slightly disappointing since there is sooo much potential here. Still some very interesting posts on new CNC structure construction kicking about.
    I work for the ANZ Autodesk CAM Master Reseller, selling & supporting HSMWorks, Inventor HSM & CAM for Fusion 360. Shapeoko 2 owner

Hi all,
    I have been lurking and learning for a few months and I have to tell you this is the most informative site I have ever been on. I am now involved doing cnc router design and cad/cam for the knife and gun industry making knife handles and gun grips out of 15,000 year old mammoth tusk and antler products and other exotic materials. The rules of normal machining do not apply to these natural materials, every type has its own characteristics. The infomation I have garnered from this site and the experienced people who contribute has made me proud to join this elite group of knowledgeable and sharing individuals that make up the cnczone. KUDOs to the CNCZONE admin who have made this one heck of a forum for beginners and pro's alike.
    cpsheets
    Jack&Master

Smile The Real Thing

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyBuoyz View Post
    Well, I've lurked for some time and finally decided to pop my cherry and make a post. So, howdy fellas!

CnC has been a fascination with me since I saw some very large scale steel plates being cut in a shipyard in Collingwood On in the mid 80's. It's amazing to watch something like a 800' freighter being assembled from all CnC cut & milled materials before your very eyes!

Anywho I'm not going to build an 800' steel freighter but we are embarking on a slightly less ambitious project, a 28' stretched to 30.5' diesel trawler in S&G Ply, epoxy & glass. http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=TW28

The reason I stumbled in here is that CnC is still a big part of our strategy to make this trawler project affordable for us (I'm a simple servant in the Cdn. Coast Guard). Having put a considerable amount of thought, planning and research into this project we sources & priced every component required to make this thing a real boat and were shocked at the cost of even minor components that were labeled "marine", many of which I intend to make myself, hence the requirement for CnC. My background is in marine engineering logistics so I know my way around some of this type of equipment.

So, not to bore you too much, just bought the BigBear plans as a starting point so standby, this is gonna be a fun ride!

Hello KnottyBuoyz –
    Let me get this straight, you paid $325. Dollars for the plans and you are going to build this boat.
    Now at that price for the plans and as far as I can tell it is a real full size boat?

Hi people!
    I guess you are right. I am one of them. I have been so busy reading so many interesting articles in the forum that I have not had time to post. I apologize for that, but I am still here.

Another new guy with a severe case of information overload. There is so much information available on here it's going to take me a few more days to digest some more before posting. Awesome site by the way.

Old Member, New CNC Machine

Hi,
    My name is David, I live in Adelaide Australia. I saw this thread and just thought I should pop my head up
    I am just finishing off a 3 axis CNC mill/router. I am now just trying to find a suitable CAD CAM software package to get all this working, then I should be up and running. I plan to make rc car parts out of plastic and aluminium and wood moulds for vacuum forming. I'll post some pictures soon.
    cheers
    David K

Hi all. I came to the Zone to get info on turning my Taig lathe into a cnc lathe. There has been great info on here that motivated me to buy the equipment and give it a go. Thanks all for posting your knowledge and helping neophytes like myself get a leg up.

I build bamboo flyrods and want to setup up my lathe to produce nickle-silver ferrules and reel seat hardware.

Thanks.
    ....Troutchaser

My intro.
    Name: Trevor
    Current skills: Mig welding
    Skills learning: Tig/stick/torch welding
    Wishing to learn: lathe/mill
    Hobbies: Wheeling/welding
    General info: Learned to weld after I broke on the trail and a friend welded my driveshaft together with a couple batteries.

Just popping in to see what kind of information/clarifcation I can find on the numerous CNC options out there.

I have a 4-axis (retrofitted, evidently) Taig CNC micro mill with a StepmasterNC control box coming soon, so I need to figure out what CAM software to use (BobCAD Hobby Pro seems to fit the bill), CNC controllers (Mach 3 vs. EMC2, PC vs. Linux, haha... I searched that one previously, it was interesting. ), etc. So far, still a little unused to all the new stuff, but I hope things will get better.

Cheers!

hello to all metal surgeons and alike, i've been a manual machinist & toolmaker for as long as i can remember!. i'm in the rainy U.K and i recently brought up some bench top cnc's to get a grip on the trade and programming which has always been an aspiration. hopefully i will get some help and advice when needed from some of the experienced folk on here, they are doing a great job.

As everyone introduces themselves

Hi, My name is Guido Seevens and I am building a 3 axis cnc table from scratch.. Pretty much my own design on a "Design as you go" basis So far I have built the x axis and work platform, I have built my own stepper motor controller (that's really my area as I am an electronics technician) and I am working on the rotary tool holder, to be followed by the z axis and the y axis. As said, I have no plans, parts are scrounged from printers and photocopiers. They are a good source for stepper motors. Other than that, I am using threaded rod and brass nuts for lead screws and bushes running on hardened steel rods for slides. So far so good. I am not after 1000th of a mm accuracy and more seeing how it goes and then maybe make a better more accurate cnc. The wealth of information on these forum's and the web make building such a thing a great educational journey.

I joined a while ago. I thought Id have more time to learn CNC but with all thats been goin on I havnt. What this world needs is a book Called "CNC for Dummies".
    I build Muscle Cars, Hot Rods and Cobras. Im always thinking of new ideas on manilfolds, suspension parts and brakets that Id like to use a CNC machine for. Ive looked at used machines in the 25-35K price range like the FADAL, HAAS but without knowing how all these operate Its hard to pick one. One of the reasons I picked this forum was hopefully to hear what really works and what doesnt.
    I live in the So Ca, area and Im looking for a good Alum casting foundry also.
    Thanks for listening.
    Michael
    [email protected]

Wayne.e

just to say Hi to all at CNCzoners - I am a machinist at heart but now am employed in Process Improvement for trailer manufacurer.

Any one with a solution to drilling 1/2" to 1" holes in .125 and .188 w tubing
    standard drill bits are slow, spade bits leave a burr, and annular drills won't work in a post drill.

Yes, I'm the new guy

I joined this site to see what it's all about... lots of good information floating around. I am taking a 6 month machinist course at our Navy's Engineering school.... lathe work, milling on weak-ass machines and making stuff out of nothing; just enough theory and shop experience to get our ship home if needed- no CNC or fancy stuff of that sort. I'll let you all know how my project "drill press" works out.

new to site

I found lots of useful information in here and like what i see. I'm taking a machinist course through the navy using old lathes and older millers. it'll be interesting to see how my last project turns out.

Hi all,
    Just started out with selecting parts and reading the forums.
    Have a Enco like mill with a 2HP engine which will be changed to CNC controlled.
    From help of www.damencnc.com I am converting step by step.
    Want to use Mach3 as controlsoftware and now figuring out how it all works.

Hi all.
    i often read posts in the newsletter and wander around the site occasionally but haven't posted up.
    I built a homemade 3 axis 4 foot by 9 foot plasma table. I use it for small part production and some artwork. it's a stepper machine with open ended synchronous belt drives. It works rather well despite being very simple.
    I am an engineer by trade and originally built the machine for a kit car business I was considering. I don't have a lot of use for it now but have made lots of interesting things with it.
    Perry

Page 39 of 422 2937383940414989139