587,541 active members*
7,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 42 of 422 3240414243445292142
    Well I'll introduce myself. Theres so much info on the site though that I have no need to post.

My name is Trey and I'm 19 for now. I'm attending a community college for a machining degree and I've been trying to get involved with CNC as much as possible. We have a old but still good VF-0, a near new TM-1, along with a pair of TL-1s, a GL-10 (I think), SL-10, and a bigger haas lathe that I can't recall the number. We also have several mills with prototrak, anilam, and accurite 2 axis. We do some CNC work, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible since I will graduate next year. We also have Teksoft and Solidworks, cammed out a bottle opener which was a 2nd year project before my first year was up.

P-port

Quote Originally Posted by jldavidian View Post
    3. Parallel Port. Not all the new computers have them, and laptops often run at too low a voltage. Use your old desktop machine.
    Can I assume that you mean that you ned a parallel port on the computer which Mach 3 is loaded on, correct?

I've also been told that you need a seperate computer for your CAD/CAM work so that Mach is running by itself on the computer.

Any special requirements there? Any reason not to use a wireless network to transfer files to Mach from the other computer?

Thanks,

Don

3/5 - 1.
    I'm a long time programmer, from the days of Flexowriters to DNC. I've used languages that have been long forgotten, and some new ones as well. The latest was Esprit, which seemed pretty nice. Have done machine design and taught same.

hey. Thanks for all of your good work.

I'm involved in CNC in a left handed manner. My son-in-law works as a parts designer.

I am proficient in Solidworks 2007.

Carl

Problems Also with Laptops and parallel printer port

Hi Everyone,

New to CNC both the forum and the whole process but highly motivated. I use the UNIMAT1 CNC 4 axes machine set up as a lathe/milling combination. I have to change tools by hand and have started programming GCODE for my setup which runs UBUNTU Linux. I have encountered the problem of the 4 axes controller has only one input and that is via a parallel printer cable. Not many newer computers or laptops have that port anymore. I managed to purchase a dongle for USB to Paraller port and according to its paperwork it identifies as a parallel port but uses the USB port. Good concept but it didn't work. I am trialling a demo of Mach2 and Rhino but they present difficulties sending the data through the USB/parallel dongle. I would rather work with the more modern system that I have than have to go back to an older machine that has a parallel port. Any ideas, suggestions or help would be appreciated. I have been searching with Google but have found little advice or articles that relate to my difficulty. I can use the basic program that came with the controller and an old semi-retired computer system with me programming in the GCODE but this seems to be a long way to do a job that should be quicker. Everyone have a great day. Cheers to all

AJ,

If you are using a PC rather than a Laptop, and are OK inside a machine, you CAN buy a Parallel port expansion card. Goes into a PCI slot.

I used to have several in various machines, multiple printers and scanner attached at the same time.

Relatively cheap at about 30 bucks at CompUSA, cheaper if they have computer shows anywhere near you..

Cheers,

George

Introduction

Hope this is the right spot for introductions.
    From Johannesburg South Africa, I'm a designer for an international company and currently use AutoCAD and Inventor on a daily basis. Decided to build a cnc router as a hobby and thus joined Cnczone for some insight, which I might add, I have gained in abundance - Big thanks to all you guys!
    I recently acquired my plans from Solsylva and have started ‘‘building the 25x37 Router Table’’ in Inventor 11 (using locally available materials and hardware) - This before I tackle the real thing!

Regards
    Ed

Nyane

Hello to all
    I have been looking and learning for quite a while.
    Right now I'm waiting for some parts from e-bay to arrive, before I start my CnC mill.

BTW I am in Johannesburg and am a Jeweller/Setter/Designer and will be looking to make small tools for manufacture.

My dream is a robust, desktop mill like the Gorilla from Gorillatech.com, but slightly bigger and servo driven, not stepper, it must also have more headroom

look forward to posting my progress

Regards

First Post

Well, Hi all.

I did the CNC programming course when I was at college, and have 'plans' to build my own CNC mill.

Just throwing together a CNC PCB drill at the moment, save the tedium of drill thousands of holes!

Have kept quiet till now, as I didn't have much to say!

Beerbotboffin

Hi all,
    Bumped into this site while searching the web for info on CNC Machines. Couple of weeks ago I was dumped from a great job just a few months short of retirement. Started a new job today for a smaller company. They have several CNC Machines. They lost their maintenance Man recently and need me to train a new one (Young). I have to learn the machines they are running before I can train someone else. These are industrial woodworking machines. My experience is in Leak Detectors, Barcode Printers, Scanners, PLC's, Robotics, Welders, Automation, RTR, Etc. For now I will mostly just lurk and soak up all the knowledge I can. If I see a question that I can answer, I'll be glad to help in any way I can. Thanks for this great resource.
    Richard

Ken Sparkes

Just to say hello from Zimbabwe we dont have any CNC laths our main activerty is Themal Spraying rebuilding of shafts and houseings but this site is great for infomation
    Regards
    Ken

Hi,

just started a little tread but wanted to put something in this tread too.

I used to study to become a aircraft technician, but quit that and started studying accountancy (night and day )

But in the last few months a friend of mine who owns a computershop talked to me about some stuff and since then a old flame has been re-ignited and i have been reading about small bench mills and other forms of metalworking.

Right now I am looking for a benchmill (that was the tread I opened). And start to do some prototyping and eventually start a small webshop with the products I might be able to build on my little cnc-bench mill.

Hello. I normally learn a lot just reading. And, I'm pretty good with Google so I find my answers before I need to ask. I'm a machinist and computer services business owner. I work at a medium sized job shop, stuck on a VTL right now. I enjoy milling most. I am currently trying to master G codes and am almost there. Thanks for asking :-)

Hi All

I've just about finished setting up a small home workshop, and am interested in building a small CNC machine. I completed my Fitting and Turning apprenticeship in 1985 and although I have done quite a bit of manual machining over the years I have never had exposure to a CNC environment. What better way to learn than to build your own machine.

Cheers

JB

Hi from George in Tasmania. I am relatively new to the site, but find it very interesting. I am a woodworker who occasionally buys services from other businesses with cnc routers and laser engravers. I would like to buy a router one day, but a laser engraver might come along sooner. I have been looking at some of the Chinese brands on the web, and the comments on this site have been very useful... thanks, folks

Hello I'm Micheal Donnellan From the West of Ireland. Spend some time mucking around with vinyl cutters as a signmaker. Been lurking in the back before joining trying to get a feel of the site. Basically my intrest is laser engravers from china/asia as looking for cheap laser that wont blowup or electrocute me. I have no idea what I am doing with importing from china or forms required. So if by any chance a Irish person has actually imported a laser I would love to here abvout it.

to mods guys in charge:
    Can you change my user name its supposed to be "Micheal Donnellan"

Good morning,
    I've been a member for a couple of weeks. We specialize in aviation/alum. fabrication, but we'll design and/or build anytihng that will keep the bills paid!

We have a 4x8 CNC plasma, 3-axis mill, lathe, 8' 75 ton hyd. brake, 8' hyd. 3/16 shear, bead roller, slip roller, Mig welding (steel and alum.), Tig welding, various drill presses, and we also do some electrical assembly work.

I have been in the business of metal fab for about 13-14 years now. I started as a grinder boy, and worked up to press brake operator. After several years of working the night shift, I have worked my way up to shop foreman.

The toughest part of my job is quoting, I'm still fairly new to this. Does anyone have any tips?

Mike

Hi, i'm new around here. I don't have a CNC lathe, (just got a Harbor Freight 8X12) but i'm learning. Finding my way around the site pretty good now, hmmmmm, very interesting. I'm a selfemployed lawnmower repairman and locksmith. The locksmithing is more of a hobby, my favorite thing to do is open locked cars, the look people get on thier faces, priceless! Anyway thats me, allways looking up to learn more stuff.
    Make sure you clean my wrench before you put it back into my toolbox.

Hi everyone, just wanted hello for the first time. i've started to build my first cnc router, i'm sure i can do the consruction side no problem it's further down the line with the electronics and programming the fun will start. I have no experience in either, my plan is to try mach 2 while building and hopefully learn on the way.
    I'll take some photos during the build and post them if i can figure out how. Anyway brilliant site (even if i don't understand most of it) and i look forward to being in touch with some of you soon.

I am just a hobbiest at the moment in metalworking.
    I do a bit of knifemaking, and it looks there is info here I need to know.
    If I ever get over the procrastination stage, I'll be looking to get a CNC lathe.
    If I can offer any knowledge, I will.
    Nice site!
    Howie

Page 42 of 422 3240414243445292142