588,342 active members*
5,417 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > One years worth of pics and videos of my 43" x 98" MDF machine FIRST BUILD!!!
Page 5 of 6 3456
    I actually offset all of the parts for the entire table, but zoomed in on the Z axis.

Very good. I was hoping there was some sort of nifty plugin that would explode the assembly. I added that renderer to my wishlist. It looks very nice. I'm still using the stock renderer.
    ~Don

do you see much sag on your table? Toward the center?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    do you see much sag on your table? Toward the center?
    Not as much as I was expecting. maybe 1\16" over the 8' span. I even purchased some marine hardware to counter the sag... I was going to go through the sides at the midpoint between the top skin and the bottom skin... go out the bottom skin near the middle of the table and out the other side. So far I see no need. I intend to hybridize it eventually with 80/20...

Really nice MDF CNC

Hi
    I am starting to design a simular machine, after seeing this lovely CNC, i was thinking to use metal but this seems to be an better approach, this will be my first CNC.

Great job

i really like this design.. was the entire gantry made from a single sheet of MDF?... if so, would it at all be possible to modify the width of the gantry to allow for a full 4 feet router travel along the Y axis? so that full sheets of 4x8 plywood and MDF can be carved and shaped?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunblau View Post
    I didn't really run into a lot of problems.. One major suggestion I'd have is to go with 1/2" lead screws... I went with 5/8"-8 2 start (4 TPI). There is huge support for 1/2" Like the dumpster nuts etc... not so much for the 5/8".

Start smaller than I did. My thinking was that my gantry would look the same for a 48" table as it would for a 96" table... why save the 20$ in MDF and $50 in lead screw? I am glad I have the working area, but I am already working on revisions and a smaller table design.
    Very impressive! I started planning my own machine recently and was wondering if you are using a 8' lead screw for the length of the table?

If so, where did you get it?

Having the models available at McMaster is great. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLarson View Post
    Very impressive! I started planning my own machine recently and was wondering if you are using a 8' lead screw for the length of the table?

If so, where did you get it?

Having the models available at McMaster is great. Thanks for the info!
    I think the screw is 100" I ordered it from Roton.com. This is also where I picked up all of the nuts etc.. Consider a bit more beefy lead screw for this kind of span, although my 5/8" diameter screw does just fine.

Good luck with your build!

The most amazing thing about this project, to me, is that it's in a bedroom in your apartment!
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

how to get the dxf files for this machine

Quote Originally Posted by agguilar View Post
    how to get the dxf files for this machine
    I have made all of the files available through my website Grünblau Design Studio here you will find a link to purchase a package containing all of the 2D CAD drawings in various formats, full scale patterns, bill of materials, wiring diagrams and a step by step instruction manual on how to build the machine.

Thank you for the comments!

Brian

Is there any chance you can post up the pictures of the rotating lead nut assembly? All of the links are broken now.

Rotating nut

Quote Originally Posted by prcdslnc13 View Post
    Is there any chance you can post up the pictures of the rotating lead nut assembly? All of the links are broken now.
    Here are a couple of the renderings describing this from my PDF package...

Full assembly...

Photobucket

Exploded view...

Photobucket

Belt tensioner assembly

Photobucket

Hope this helps!!!

If you need any further assistance, it's all in my complete documentation of my DIY CNC that can be found here...

pics of the grunblau no plans

hi Brian I'm just going to show some of my progress on building you're machine, and later I'm going to purchase you're plans for the machine : ) I'm just waiting to see if you're going to lower a "just little" the price just for the holidays well let us know, god bless. :wave:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photocnc1.jpg   photocnc2.jpg   photocnc3.jpg  

How are you sizing you parts with out the plans?

For $80 bucks, the plans are a steal. I purchased a set and you can tell a lot of time went into them and they are professional. Plus all CAD files are included. Since using them as a basis for a larger machine they have saved a lot of time.

YMMV.
    PCFlyer

Hi brian, happy new year for you and for all of the members her on the forum (group) can you put some more pictures of youre beautiful machine because i want to put a wallpaper on my computer of you machine. Thank you.

This is the pic of the machine

Nicest MDF design... EVER!

Sorry I missed this post!

Quote Originally Posted by agguilar View Post
    Hi brian, happy new year for you and for all of the members her on the forum (group) can you put some more pictures of youre beautiful machine because i want to put a wallpaper on my computer of you machine. Thank you.

I am sorry I didn't see the post! Hope all is well for you!

In November, we bought a house and I didn't have internet except for at work for a couple months while all of the dust was settling.

We also got a puppy that promptly chewed through my camera cable so I am left with an Iphone for picture taking... hope to remedy this soon.

Tiny ANU

In August, I dissasembled the 'ship in a bottle' and brought the CNC to Makersfaire. It was nice to finally be able to step back and see the whole machine. In case you missed the post

Here are a couple pics from that day...

Grunblau MDF3790 DIY CNC

I used the machine to print a maze. When it was done, it would return to the center of the maze and people were then asked it they wanted to use the playstation controller to solve the maze.

Brian Oltrogge Grunblau DIY CNC

This kid was not about to stop after he solved the maze.

Then the CNC was broken down and taken to storage while we waited on the purchase of our new home to go through. Keep in mind this was August. and we didn't close on the house until mid November. Almost 4 months CNCless.

Brian Oltrogge MDF DIY CNC Grunblau

Picking up the CNC to take it to its new home... I can now dissasemble and reassemble in about 3 hours. Mostly because all of the 'smart' components are all on the gantry.

First week in January pieces were due for a show I had agreed to do in October. Now the machine was up and running again so I was able to begin working on the pieces in my spare time. One of the pieces would be 24" by almost 6' and look like waterdrops on wood. Finally a reason to have such a big CNC!

The entire job took 16:05 hours! Probably should have been faster but I was willing to wait for a perfect piece.

Overall view of the piece. The lighting makes it look much deeper than it actually is all of the relief is no more than 3/16" deep.

Here is a detail of the surface...

This is after a finish was applied...

I also did some self draining concrete tiles. The troughs slope 1/16" of an inch to the edge of the tile and the pattern allows for design flexibility. I used a spiral toolpath to mill the mold out of foam.

Here is a detail of the resulting surface...

Here are the final pieces in the gallery...

I apologize about all of the camera phone pics and thank you for your comments!

Good luck with your build agguilar!

Beautiful. I love the water drops. Are you going to be using the concrete tiles or were they made strictly for the show?
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Quote Originally Posted by bobsch View Post
    Beautiful. I love the water drops. Are you going to be using the concrete tiles or were they made strictly for the show?
    These were really just a prototype for the show. I intended for them to be porcelain as a compliment to the steam tiles on my website that have been forever a WIP. They are steel reinforced concrete so they are as functional as possible. I am sure they will end up outdoors somewhere would need to cast some more tho.

Here is a better view of the digital file and the variations...

Page 5 of 6 3456