588,208 active members*
4,340 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 5 345
    A bit off topic but....

Has anyone had to replace bearings and/or brushes in their DWP611 yet. Mine seems to be running fine but has LOTS of hours on it and some of the runs were multi-hour tasks. It never gets hot and I seldom run it past about half speed.

Given the above, there has to be some point where at least the brushes require replacement. Not complaining, just asking... ;-)

Don

I haven't run this machine too long, though I had used this router on a couple jobs on the field previously. Just cut replacement leadnut carriers for my large machine, out of 1" aluminum, and this machine did it just fine!... Pics somewhere...

DPW611

Don:

Looks like you might be first kid on block to break one!!!

Did web search and found nothing ..except this: Detail

Brushes and bearing are amazingly inexpensive.

Like yours, mine generally runs at half-speed. Even running at full speed these are amazingly quiet and vibration free. Wonder if that is because they are better made than say a PC680.

Well, I am not looking for that 'honor' Luckily it is still running well.

I just sent an email to DeWalt asking if the A27343 brush was a set or just one. At $16, not too bad for a set but if that is only one brush.... whew.

Don

It's been a while since I updated this. I have entered the foray of drive box assembly, building my first for this machine. I had previously abandoned the Mach3 format for USBCNC.

The USBCNC5A board is just amazing, and the user interface blows away just about any other DIY solution out there. Just have to get my touchscreen going for this one! Although the board can be powered via USB, I am using a 5V wall wart, since it will also be powering the three Leadshine drives. There are both 25 pin and 9-pin d-sub connectors. I have not yet wired the SuperPID or relays for spindle, vacuum, and mist yet.

To make life easier I am using a basic 25-pin breakout board from CNC4PC. Cheap and simple.

I am using Leadshine DM542 stepepr drives capable of 18V-50V and up to 3A, peak 4.2A. They are also capable of 51200 steps/rev. Each one has a pretty large heatsink built in. They are very quiet at idle and slow speeds and much quieter than the G540 during rapids. I am using a 48V Keling PSU.

The case is a Fractal Design mini-ITX case. It is just roomy enough to hold everything in, though bigger than the G540 box. I do like the minimalist design. I used the drive bays to hold each drive, by drilling two holes to bolt the drives down. This worked out perfectly as two front case fans blow cool air unobstructed to the drives. with the heat sink fins aligned with air flow.

As for my performance tests... with the G540 box (using the same USBCNC5A controller) I was able to achieve 250ipm rapids and 30in/sec^2 accel stable, and max at 300ipm. For a small machine this is pretty quick.

With the Leadshine drives, I am achieving 6 in/s (360ipm) and 40in/s^2 stable. I was running my burn-in program (a v-carve) at 60in/m and rapids set at 420ipm and 50in/s^2! That's a motor speed of 1680rpm, with no stalling! I have tested all the way to 10in/s and 60in/s^2 though it will occasionally stall, but that's 2400rpm, 80% of the max for these Danaher steppers! For the high speed toolpaths I use on aluminum, the high rapids add up to more savings in machining time.

Although it should be a foregone conclusion, I am extremely happy with the performance of this setup. I have no "skin in the game," but whole-heartedly recommend both the USBCNC and Leadshine products to those who want a "step above," as well as true Windows compatibility (you can even resize the window, maximize and minimize it while cutting!), USB connectivity, and the better performance and features of the controller board and drive.

I'll post pics soon, but here's a video explaining all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sHsa4FZ2Cc

Here's some pics of my new drive box in progress. It's fully functioning save for the relays, home switches and rear panel.

Pic 1 is my machine as it sits now. Was doing some prototype work for a client before I took the drive box off this to run my big machine.

Pic 2 is a view of the new drive box. This is made by Fractal Design. The drive bays are a prefect spot for the drives, as the bays act as heat sinks and there are two fans blowing filtered air to the heat sinks, with the fins going the same direction as air flow.

Pic 3 is the CNC4PC simple breakout board (under $10.) You don't need one, as you can just use a DB25 solder cup to make all the connections. This however makes it easier and modular.

Pic 4 shows the venerable USBCNC5A board. This is actually upgradeable to 4 axis via software, though I'll have to make rooms omehow for the fourth drive. I had shortened a DB25 ribbon cable to connect to my breakout board.

Pic 5 shows the Leadshine DM542 drives nestled each in their own drive bay. I drilled holes on each drive bay to use two machine screws and nuts to hold the drives in. The only thing that sucks with this arrangement is that you have to remove the drive bay to get to the DIP switches, and after a few times I learned to keep the bays unscrewed until I had the settings to my liking. I used solid wire inside for my interconnects to the breakout board because it was what I had, and these won't get moved much. The wires to the DB9 motor connectors are the same stranded wire used for the motors themselves. It may have been easier to just use the 4-pin DIN connectors I used at the motor side, but keeping the DB9 connectors keeps the machine compatible with my G540 box should the need arise.

Pic 6 shows the 9V and 5V wall warts used to power the fans and USBCNC5A board, respectively. The fans are really designed for 12V, but they seem to push enough air to get the job done. I didn't want to use the USB to power the drive board and drives since I am using my laptop with this machine. I'll build regulators for both 12V and 5V to work off the PSU once I have the time.

I should note that although I did mention that this cost more than the G540 box, the USBCNC5A board also includes the control software, for free. So considering that Mach3 costs $175 it's really not twice the cost as I originally stated. And I feel the interface blows Mach3 away, the USB impementation is native not some plug-in, and for my needs the interface is also more touchscreen-friendly, for when I have my SFF worstation ready. I believe it was modeled to mimic the touchscreen panel of some of the commercial controls.

Being that I more than enough bandwidth than my steppers can handle, I will increase the microsteps to gain even smoother movement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0035.jpg   IMAG0036.jpg   IMAG0037.jpg   IMAG0038.jpg  

IMAG0039.jpg   IMAG0042.jpg  

I am in the process of wrapping up a deal for a new machine, so I am going to have to let this one go to make room.

Looking to sell this machine, minus the drive box, but including everything else including steppers and stepper wires. Will plug right into G540. Also includes the SuperPID (will need some rewiring), DeWalt roouter, a couple bits to get started, and dust shoe. PM me if interested.

I have posted my router for sale on eBay, along with a few other parts (LM rails, ballscrwes...) My eBay handle is spudrocket, and I put up some very fair prices...

Quote Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
    Direct link spudrocket | eBay

Sent from tapatalk
    Thanks...

Re: Mini Desktop Router/Engraver/Mill

Just finished re-reading my thread here... I really enjoyed building this machine, and I'm glad it has found a great home. The sale of this machine corresponded with the purchase of a small benchtop mill, which finally has shipped out after a long wait. I'll probably concentrate on the final rebuild of my larger table, as it's been really beat and abused the last couple years.

Page 5 of 5 345