588,542 active members*
4,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 7 34567

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    I know your trying to help, but I know enough about electronics to make one, and most likely make it work, but there is a lot less work to be done if someone else has done it before and worked out some of the bugs.

I don't need advice on how to make one (yet) just want to see a homemade/DIY one working before i even attempt it.
    Mike,

Ben Fleming has written a book that has a circuit and directions for building a small EDM machine. There is also a yahoo group for people that have built or are interested in building a machine based on his book. There is also a circuit board available through the group.

Also Dan Mauch (Camtronics) sells plans for a small wire edm cnc machine.

Alan

Smile Tap disintegrator plans / Wire Erosion

I'm not quite sure how this forum works.

Hi everyone! This is my first post so don't be too hard on me :0)

I can see lots of people asking stuff but not many replies??

If there are any plans for a tap disintegrator electronic or mechanical I would love them. I am running an old Charmilles F45 wire eroder. I have removed all of the CNC electronics and replaced them with a 6 axis system from Conqueror Designs here in the UK. The system is now PC driven with full 3D Graphics. All of the hardware is external to the PC with no dodgy software drivers etc., just a standard serial port. I'm simply using the old spark generator which seems to work OK albeit a bit temperamental. I can work to within about .005mm without too much difficulty. (Not too bad for for a country bumkin working in his backgarden, even if I do say so myself)

Like I said I'm not altogether sure how this forum all works, but I have mpg and jpg's of the system working, and I'd be happy to share any information I have on the subject.

Any tap disintegrator info would be great. I have some students who need an electro/mechanical project. I could probably start from scratch with them but why re-invent the wheel? If you guys don't mind helping out

Hi Botty, welcome to the board.

There are some home builder plans that were published in the Model Engineer some years back for a small EDM.

Post your email address and I'll send them to you direct.
    Ian.

looking for plans if possible send it to me also thanks my add is [email protected]

looking for spark genrator sercuit mine is not working acc to my need

Hi jsologuren, send me your email adress and I'll email you some I have direct.
    Ian.

May I have the plans, too?

[email protected]

Thank you very much.

damancuc

Hi, does anyone have any real plans which they would not mind sharing, as I would like to make a EDM with 3 axis CNC control, regards Steve

3 axis CNC control....Hmmmmm.....the EDm produces the cavity etc by using a formed copper/graphite etc electrode, during which the end is gradually eroded away also, but the cavity formed is the shape of the electrode, unless you mean that the electrode is a square or round section and the form is produced by weaving around a shape under CNC control, which means then that all you need is the EDM circuits and the rest is normal CNC layout?

There are real plans to produce the sparking process, but they are pretty standard anyway.
    Ian.

I would also like to build a 4 axis CNC Sinker type EDM.

When I say 4 axis I will use a spindle electrode holder which can function as an orbiter or as a controlled "C" axis - such as might be used to burn transfer ports in the cylinder sleeve of a 2 cycle engine.

3 axis helical moves with a rotating spindle allow "thread milling" type burning of thread forms in full hard materials.

There don't appear to be any functional public domain or open source plans out there. The power stage I will be using is proprietary, don't ask me to give away something that isn't mine to give. As to the control side I have high hopes that at some future point EMC2 can be adapted as the CNC control, but there are many unique to the EDM process issues which will still require much developement.

How do you do that? EDMs of the sinker variety have limitations. You can make threads by using a thread form electrode and a tapped greenboard guide. The Z axis has a rotary head that spins on center, and drives the threaded electrode in and out of the greenboard and into the work. Electrodes wear very quickly compared to a mill. I just don't see how you could make four axis work with a sinker. A wire EDM is different.

This post has been going for a two or three years, has anyone got any comments/feedback on any particular design they have built for a sinker EDM?
    Anyone built the http://homebuiltedm.tripod.com ?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Cool The Ben Fleming EDM

I have mine 70-80% complete.

It would get done faster if I was able to spend more time at home, but I go where I am paid to go...

I have Ben's book and his PCB - I much prefer using a real PCB vrs perf board or attempting to fab my own PCB.

If I were to my own I would likely use a bigger H-Bridge chip to allow slightly larger servos than the ones suitable for Bens Drawer slide design.

Many members in the yahoo forum have reported successfull builds.

The Key thing about Ben's book is he gets into the details of using the EDM and preaches the gospel of proper flushing... Its way more than a simple how to writeup.

Also - Some day a pulsed EDM follow up book has been promised. :stickpoke

I have both the Langlois and Fleming books. My head is finished but was built with a stepper motor. I ran into trouble making a decent PCB for the stepper control though, so it has sat. After finding the Fleming book with a simpler servo drive, I decided to incorporate both designs into one ideal unit.

Langlois goes into deeper detail for controlling the burn with a capacitor bank that includes larger capacitors. Fleming has the simpler control and goes into detail for an EDM tank. I have everything I need except a PCB board for the control. Because I already made a precision stepper driven head, I'd really prefer to build Langlois' control, but will probably bite the bullet and find some servo that I can cobble to the stepper mount just to get it done.

dear all

please I hope to built EDM machine any body can help me for this project

thanks in advance

gamal

May I have the plans, too?
    Thank you very much.
    Santafesonido from Argentina

May I also have the plans please

Hi Handlewanker

Can I also have one of your plan please?
    my email address: [email protected]

Ian,

Please forward me a copy of the plans as well.

Thanks, Mike

[email protected]

sorry ,the mail
    [email protected] tanks you

Hi Gamal, post your email adress and I'll send them to you direct.

They were posted previously in the first one or two pages on this thread.

Ian.

Page 5 of 7 34567