588,582 active members*
12,705 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 6 456
    071026-0957 EST USA

Limit switches --- mechanical lever arm type vs proximity. There seem to be quite a number of comments here and other places relative to limit switch errors. Apparently these complaints come from users with machines using prox switches for limit switches.

If you look at the number of problems from users with prox switches vs those with mechanical switches, then it appears like HAAS should go back to mechanical switches, or find a way to keep chips away from the prox switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I placed an order for two in April this year and since then have been given the royal run around of "delivery next month, no next month, no next month etc." Now my dealer doesn't even get empty promises. Meanwhile I have thousands of dollars worth of custom rotary fixtures sitting unused because the indexers needed are not here.

I ordered a new Haas TM1 on Oct 1. The salesman said that they could have the machine in my shop and running within 10 - 12 days of the order being placed. Now that the order has been in for 4 weeks they tell me that it will be end of December at best for delivery ... maybe later. If it doesn't get delivered by 12/31 I lose my section 179 opportunity for 2007. They say it is out of their control, Haas won't release it and they tell me Haas can be really slow on shipping replacement parts too. Hmmm, I am hoping I didn't make a big mistake going with Haas.

In the past I have had good service from Haas regarding prompt shipping of parts; not that I have needed many. This episode with the indexers was out of character, however, I had to get a replacement hydraulic system for my SL10 and while the shipping was prompt, within four days, they sent the wrong unit then took three weeks to send the correct one.

Based on comments that I have seen on the zone here from people with other makes of machines I don't think Haas is worse than most. In fact I think a few years ago they were better than most. It does depend quite a bit I think on the relationship your dealer has with the factory. In your case the promise came from the salesman, before he had contacted the factory?? I tend to trust delivery estimates from salesmen about as far as I can lift a TM1 with my pinky finger.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Gar,

I been round, and Haas isn't the only guy using proximity switces, I know matsuura is using them for sure, and they cost how much more? There are always issues with them, and most of the time it has come down to house cleaning. If you don't take the time to clean the machines, your gonna run into trouble.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

maxine -
    What type of TM-1 did you order .. TM-1P? .. Special options? .. or just a standard TM?

maxine -
    did you go to the Haas website and see that they have an inventory sale going on .. There is like 7 TM's on there ready to go.

Haas Mills

In 2005 we were in the market for a new CNC Mill. The shop already had a VF3 that was working fine for us so I decided to go with another Haas machine.
    We are in southern Ca. not to far from the factory, about 50 miles. So we placed an order for a new VF2SS and were told it would take about 4 weeks till delevery. We were paying cash for the machine so they were glad to bump us up the line a little. About a week later the salesman called me and said "we have a machine sitting on the dock just like you ordered with a few small additional options (about 1k extra) that we could have right now!
    I guess the deal fell thru for someone else. So we had our brand new machine on the floor in less then 2 weeks from placing the order. I think it has alot to do with your salesman and how hard they work for you. The squeeky wheel gets the grease! The only problem that Haas has now is that they are selling so many machines that their support system can't keep up with all the machines they have out there. It's not uncomon for it to take a week to get to you if you have a problem (BUMMER) That said, Haas gives you a lot of bang for your buck.
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

Quote Originally Posted by JROM View Post
    .... "we have a machine sitting on the dock just like you ordered with a few small additional options (about 1k extra) that we could have right now!
    I guess the deal fell thru for someone else. So we had our brand new machine on the floor in less then 2 weeks from placing the order......
    We got lucky in the same way with a VF2. Ten days from order to install and we are 27hours non stop driving North. This was unusual because the next one was around six weeks.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Just put my down payment on a new VF2 today and they said the same thing you guys are saying. They have another machine someone ordered but just canceled on and I can have it next week, just has one more extra on it then I was going to order. OR VF2's are 3-4 weeks out now anyways. I was expecting a longer wait because of the deals they are giving on them now.
    I need it now so this works good for me.

Page 6 of 6 456