588,201 active members*
4,774 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 9 56789
    Just curious to see how this amazing build turned out?
    any updates?

delay

Sorry for the delays... real job gets the best of me most of the time.

Running cables through the carriers... now this is a fun job! If is worth mentioning that buying industrial stuff makes life a lot easier... cable carriers are easy to assemble, and to organize cables. I still have to spiral wrap the cables within the gantry to protect them from the sharp edges.

As you might see, I have a lot of electrical work to do still. But having the cables in place sheds light on how everything else needs to be.

All of the cables pictured are shielded cables from Igus and Yaskawa. I bought the water hose and the pneumatic hose from a local industrial supplier. Hard to find water hoses made to run in a cable carrier, so I just made my best guess. We will know if they work after a few years of use.

I will get better pics of the aluminum carriage assembly once my spindle gets here. I only order one for now, due to funding issues . Should be here within a couple of weeks!

Cheers!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aluminum carriage.jpeg   cable carrier.jpeg   gantry upright.jpeg   Igus Vomit.JPG  

inside gantry.jpeg   midbeam.jpg  

testing out the grease

Working out the grease system, and almost ready for final assembly.

Cheers!

Rob

warning: semi-foul language toward end of video.

general mischief

Wanted to show some pics.

The fiberglass project is my dust-boot, which will have brush strip bonded to the bottom of it. Should look good when done. I learned that my laser engraver can cut the glass cloth, and amazingly, it "sealed" the edges for me. No unraveling mess to deal with on my brush!

The hard-stops were welded by my son. I have since taken an angle grinder to them, and painted them purple.

Now that the grease delivery is in place, I can finally put this thing together permanent-like. Sweet! I think I may hold the world record for removal and re-installation of bearing blocks.

Cheers!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lasercut glass cloth.jpg   layup1.jpg   hardstops.jpg   Zaxisgrease1.jpg  

Zaxisgrease2.jpg  

Rob, I have two questions...

1.) (I might have missed this) What are you going to be using this behemoth for?
    2.) Care to share how much this monster cost you? Touchy subject for some, so feel free to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by maspeir View Post
    Rob, I have two questions...

1.) (I might have missed this) What are you going to be using this behemoth for?
    2.) Care to share how much this monster cost you? Touchy subject for some, so feel free to ignore.
    1) Sheet of wood per this post and maybe aluminum
    2) The frame was $11.8K per this post. As for all of the electronics and custom machine parts...

57k to date. still need the second spindle, though. This includes the Becker vac pump, water cooling setup, and everything else.
    Trying to finish up before end of month January. Thank you all for the guidance and assistance.

Spoiled,

Love the build. I'm looking to design a grease system for my router. Where did you get the grease fittings and what are you using for a grease pump?

Thanks,

MRM

Grease fittings were frankensteined, using the existing fittings that came with the bearing blocks. I then ordered 6mm push to connect fittings, with M6 threads on the other end. I replaced the Zerk fitting on the origional with these.

I am using a manual pump, into a manifold. 1 manifold = 4 bearings.

I believe they were from smcpneumatics.com. I ordered the wrong part at first, and I cannot tell you with certainty the correct part number. I believe it is KQ2S06-M6 .

Cheers!

Rob

Videos

Long time no posting. Wanted to get some videos up of current progress.

Spindle is operational, all servos kind of tuned. Finally backed down on the accel rates, and came up with something useful. I was trying 3 times the following rates, with no luck. And no wonder...

X axis is 50 in/s squared, Y and Z axis is 72 in/sec squared. Running in torque mode at this point. I would like to go back to step and direction later, but my controller is booger-ed up in that respect: no pulses come out anymore. I want to use this mode because my drives handle the loads better that way with adaptive tuning.

Speeds are self limited to 2000 ipm on the x and y, 600 ipm on the Z. Z axis sounds pretty robotic to me. lol.

This was controlled from Galil Tools, as I have no yet been able to implement the Galil plugin. Steve has been extraordinary help, but technical hangups on the controller/drive end have really slowed me down.

I still have to build my tool rack, surface the table, and get my vac pump running. That thing runs on a 62A breaker... definitely ridiculous.

All questions and comments are welcome.

Cheers!

Rob

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vRGnYijNsE"]YouTube - JOG[/nomedia]
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vL7E_K90bg"]YouTube - SSPX0147[/nomedia]

Danger, Danger, Will Robinson! Excellent! That is a beast.
    Great design and use of materials. It looks and acts like a high cost commercial one and I think maybe even better than some of those. Look forward to seeing the tool changer in action.
    Lee

Smile

spoiledbrat

It looks like we have a new WINNER, Speeding to the finish line,At hold your breath speed of 2000IPM, I told you the double sided tape would hold the racks in place, It beats pistal drilling all those rack mounting holes:cheers:
    Mactec54

I'm surprised your acceleration is that low... I mean it's probably plenty snappy, but with 1kW servos, I'd assume you could go higher. Are they around 6N*m continuous torque? I know for the machines I've been working on I've simulated that I could go higher, so that's why I'm interested. Sounds cool though, and really fast.
    CNC mill build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical_mill_lathe_project_log/110305-gantry_mill.html

jsheerin
    I'm surprised your acceleration is that low...

He had it at 150in/sec squared, but dialed it back untill the Galil is sorted
    Mactec54

That's what I was wondering - if it was just the controller / tuning. I also looked up some of my calcs and I was thinking of 2kW continuous motors on a machine about the same size with closer to 350-400in/s^2 acceleration, so with 1kW, yeah, 150in/s^2 seems about right. Hopefully you can get it all sorted out.
    CNC mill build thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertical_mill_lathe_project_log/110305-gantry_mill.html

Jsheerin,

The servos will indeed accelerate them faster, as well as achieve almost double that speed. Problem lies with the pid tuning. Unable to get stable results with the accell set that high. Jerk is definitely a problem with that silly gantry. Servo continuous torque is 3.18nm. The highest torque I am using right now is approx 150%. The servos are rated for 800% for 3 seconds. Continuous speed is 3000 rpm, max speed 600 rpm (this would be 4000 in/min on my machine. Also, gearboxes and pinion are rated for 3800 rpm continuous, 6000 rpm cyclic. Torque on the gearbox is limited to 100NM peak (estop), 50NM accel, 30NM nominal. Having said that, I think I need to derate the drives. Crap...

Although I did achieve stability at the higher accell rates, the it came at the cost of accuracy and stiffness of the system. As in, you could push the axis with about 20 lbs, and it would move .125".

If I was able to go back to position mode(stepper mode for the galil), the servo drives can certainly handle those accels. With the adaptive tuning, it would sound a lot better too, while maintaining the best accuracy available from my hardware. Currently, the pulsing functions on my galil are toast. Don't know why, but I confirmed it with galil. No time right now to send it back, so I will stick with this mode until a later date.

What kind of machine have you used that has better accel rates? I would love to see/read more about it. One machine tool builder told me he was achieving 150 in/sec squared, but after talking with other integrators, I do not believe it.

Cheers!

Rob

Can you change the gearing to double the servos rpm at the same 2000ipm? Would that help?

Also, it seems to me that you should have a lot of air blowing out the bottom of the spindle when the tool is released. At least all the big routers that I've used do.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ger,

Changing gearboxes is cost prohibitive for me at this point. Also, I did a galil trace on the Y axis, and found that it was putting out 1.4V to achieve my accel rates. With the Yaskawa, 3V=100% torque. So, about 50% continuous torque is all it takes to drive this thing. lol.

As for the spindle: That was run purely from the GalilTools software, I neglected to run the taper clean. I really wrote that program so that I could program in a pause: After starting the program, I can run across the room and grab the tool before it drops. lol.

Ger, what kind of accel do you see on woodworking machines?

Rob

Ger, what kind of accel do you see on woodworking machines?
    Honestly, I don't really know. They hide those parameters from the user, and if you can find them, it's typically in Italian, so you don't know what you're looking at.

On the Morbidelli I use now, I'd say it's probably a bit faster than yours, but it's hard to tell by just the video.
    We cut 3/4" particle board at around 950ipm, and if you watch it, you don't really notice the acceleration, because it's very smooth.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I haven't built a machine that accelerates that quickly yet - I'm just working on the design. That's why I'm interested in what you're achieving. I have servos rated for 12Nm continuous torque but lower max rpm (2k rpm). I'm targeting in the 400-800in/s^2 range, but with a lower max speed as it's for a milling machine.

Page 7 of 9 56789