588,320 active members*
4,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 81 of 184 3171798081828391131181
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 3662
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Thank you Louie. It's really good to know you have 220V outlet. So the spindle and VFD is no problem now.

Yes. I had plan to make a 2X rectifier to convert 110VAC to 300VDC and then suppy the VFD. It's an easy circuit and will work. But it doesn't mean it's a very good solution. It requires the capacitors really stable and take a big room in the electric case. Make the power input simple always mean better reliability.
    Hehehe maybe I can test for you in real world situation see how it works. It might be a good solution if someone lives in an apartment or condominium...

Re: Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end

Hi, are we talking about an inverter to bump the 110 AC up to 220 volt AC and then to DC?.......rectifiers are for making DC from AC.... any AC voltage, or they were when I started out in electronics........just a name difference?
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi, are we talking about an inverter to bump the 110 AC up to 220 volt AC and then to DC?.......rectifiers are for making DC from AC.... any AC voltage, or they were when I started out in electronics........just a name difference?
    Ian.
    From Wikipedia...

"A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction."

"A more complex circuitry device that performs the opposite function, converting DC to AC, is called an inverter."

More...

"A variant of this is to use two capacitors in series for the output smoothing on a bridge rectifier then place a switch between the midpoint of those capacitors and one of the AC input terminals. With the switch open, this circuit acts like a normal bridge rectifier. With the switch closed, it act like a voltage doubling rectifier. In other words, this makes it easy to derive a voltage of roughly 320 V (±15%, approx.) DC from any 120 V or 230 V mains supply in the world, this can then be fed into a relatively simple switched-mode power supply. However, for a given desired ripple, the value of both capacitors must be twice the value of the single one required for a normal bridge rectifier; when the switch is closed each one must filter the output of a half-wave rectifier, and when the switch is open the two capacitors are connected in series with an equivalent value of half one of them."...

rectifiers are for making DC from AC.... Ian.
    Thats complete nonsense, a rectifier flips either the negative or positive phase of an AC sine wave, so you end up with a dirty DC wave.You would then need to smooth the wave out to make it a useful DC supply (unless you like filthy dirty power) which can be as simple as Zenor and Transistor / Capacitor arrangement

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    From Wikipedia...

"A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction."

"A more complex circuitry device that performs the opposite function, converting DC to AC, is called an inverter."

Spot on (which you expect (ish) from wiki!

When I lived in Germany, we had to have transformers to convert the normal power, 220VAC 50 cycle to run our US made products. 120 vac 60 cycles.
    The transformers did not convert the cycles, so some tape decks and turntables were effected because of the speed difference.
    Those were what I call step down transformers.
    To go the other way would be step up transformers. Switching from AC to DC is what I call a power supply. From DC to AC is an inverter.
    These are just the names I use and are not scientific nomenclature. I know what is being discussed when those names are used.
    Lee

Ian.
    Oh Gee.....another can of worms EVERYONE has to climb into..........I specifically said in THIS post # 1587 exactly what you are referring to........I've done enough electronics and electrical work to know the difference as I've made them both.

BTW, nobody in their right minds would dream of DIY building an inverter to power a CNC mill, as opposed to buying the proper shop bought item........nobody..... and that is without exception.

BTW once again, when I was doing camping back in 1975 I built a simple inverter using a Hartley oscillator and a 2 amp 240/12 volt transformer to convert the 12 volt DC from my car battery to 240 volt AC for my tent flouro light and electric razor.
    Ian.

a vfd or inverter which runs an AC motor (servo or induction or stepper) is a DC device at its core. it converts this dc power source into an approximated 3 phase sine wave using pulse width modulation using one of a few algorithms (vector being a common one for spindle inverters). a typical vfd that you buy takes in AC power, either single or 3 pahse, rectifies it and filters it to become the drives dc power source. unfortunately almost all drives over 500w use 220v range AC power.

when skyfire mentions 110vac to 300vdc this is basically a bypass for the first stage of a vfd with a circuit that multiplies the dc output voltage. all of those sangmutan brushless DC spindle drives that novakon, sieg, mikini and others used had an identical first stage to this to run on 110v. (note that the issues with that drive were not related to the power stage, so do be worried, haha)

Quote Originally Posted by rustyh View Post
    Thats complete nonsense, a rectifier flips either the negative or positive phase of an AC sine wave, so you end up with a dirty DC wave.You would then need to smooth the wave out to make it a useful DC supply (unless you like filthy dirty power) which can be as simple as Zenor and Transistor / Capacitor arrangement
    Nonsense?????......a rectifier specifically converts raw AC to raw DC, irrespective of whether the output is dirty or has a ripple on it.........further smoothing is beyond the rectifier stage.....in case you missed that point.
    Ian.

Nonsense?????......a rectifier specifically converts raw AC to raw DC, irrespective of whether the output is dirty or has a ripple on it.........further smoothing is beyond the rectifier stage.....in case you missed that point.
    Ian.
    well, no. it as he said deletes or inverts the negative portion of the wave depending on if its a full or half wave rectifier. you could call it DC, more correctly its a dc coupled signal, or a dc offset signal (even though the transform isnt a true offset).

I like filthy and dirty... Oh wait, wrong forum...

Ian, if ypu don't want people climbing in the can of worms, don't open the can!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    well, no. it as he said deletes or inverts the negative portion of the wave depending on if its a full or half wave rectifier. you could call it DC, more correctly its a dc coupled signal, or a dc offset signal (even though the transform isnt a true offset).
    Thanks Mate

Didnt know if was called DC Offset as well :banana:

I like filthy and dirty... Oh wait, wrong forum...
    Or is it hahaha

Ian, if ypu don't want people climbing in the can of worms, don't open the can!!!!
    (Thumbs up from me)

Or is it hahaha
    Gold membership has it's privileges!

I think knowing G code is a massive advantage to debugging, and when running batches, can aid in making the code more efficient.
    Sometimes CAM doesn't always use the most efficient code, making something that should only take a few lines end up being dozens even hundreds. Sure the memory of even a measly Mach3 computer exceeds that of machines of yore and is not usually a problem.

One example is spiral or helical profiling. On one of my CAM, if I helix down a circular profile, it will output tiny x-y-z moves down the spiral, then use arc commands at the bottom, instead of using arc commands for the helix. So with a slower computer and low LookAhead number, the machine doesn't move as smooth as it should. Rewriting the g code to use arc commands all the way down made smoother movement and more constant velocity, meaning better parts.

Another use I found is "fooling" Mach3 that a rotary axis is a Cartesian axis, so I can "wrap" g code around a cylinder. Takes a little math to get the circumference of the part to figure out the steps per unit, then swap stepper cables.

I'll also "build" a larger program by taking bits of smaller ones to save setup time. I lije to keep the smaller programs because it's easier to remachine a single feature that way.

I also will change feedrates in certain parts of a program where I determine the machine will run faster without issue, mainly in roughing operations. Or the opposite, I'll slow down feed in some critical spots. Helps when I have to do a run of parts, without having to go back to CAM to do so.

Ok, no worm can opening in future.....purely thread discussion.
    Ian.

Hehehe maybe I can test for you in real world situation see how it works. It might be a good solution if someone lives in an apartment or condominium...
    lol Thank you Louie. I just reviewed this post.. It will work no problem. Years ago I disassembled a SIEG X3 and did some research on it's BLDC spindle motor driver. It use this way to switch 110V/220V power supply. It only need a jumper to adapt the power voltage. I have not make this PCB yet or I can send you one for testing. It actually turn 110VAC to 300VDC and then input 300VDC directly to driver's 220VAC input pins..
    www.skyfirecnc.com
    Email: [email protected]; Skype: skyfirecnc

lol.. Guys. I have some new updates now. Mainly about Louie's SVM-0 today. I did many small works to finish Louie's SVM-0 this week. They are very detailed works but Just want SVM-0 has everything best.

First is the small stainless cover on the top of the head. just make a small hole to get spindle power line through.
    Attachment 277100

And a cover board at the bottom of the head too. Because the spindle motor (not the the water cooling one) needs air flow to help heat dissipation, I ordered some screen mesh to make this bottom cover.
    Attachment 277102

And then I installed the VFD. Since we have to leave some room for the 4th driver, I selected a VFD without shell but only heat sink attached. It just fit the room of spindle driver.
    Attachment 277104

Then tested the VFD and high speed spindle.. no problem.
    Attachment 277108

For safety considerations, I made another stainless cover for the VFD..looks nice on it I left some wires on it to make wire works easier for Louie..lol
    Attachment 277110

Then we start packing works. just waiting paper works done now and then we will pack up the wood case and ship the first SVM-0 out.
    Attachment 277114 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9426_??.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	277116 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9427_??.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	365.5 KB 
ID:	277118
    www.skyfirecnc.com
    Email: [email protected]; Skype: skyfirecnc

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    lol.. Guys. I have some new updates now. Mainly about Louie's SVM-0 today. I did many small works to finish Louie's SVM-0 this week. They are very detailed works but Just want SVM-0 has everything best. ..
    Defeng, everything is looking great! Appreciate the detail work you put into the machine; I'm sure everyone that has one waiting does too. Better than having someone in a factory slapping parts together with no regard for accuracy or aesthetics, a refreshing attitude I wish more manufacturers would follow.

Page 81 of 184 3171798081828391131181