588,656 active members*
5,746 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 20 789101119

New Cooling fluid

Has anyone in OZ heard of a new cooling fluid? "CoolTool". I have heard it is available in S.A. but can not find anything on it, It is water based and allowes cutting speed increasses by 33%. I saw a sample it is "bright navy blue" and worked in the show demo, but they are not here in the USA and I can not track them down. cheers, John

Hey all. New to the forum. Bayswater, VIC.
    Carbide grinder during the day and an undertaker by night. (Apprentice wages don't pay the bills, unfortunately.)

Cool Tool Fluid

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrooks View Post
    Has anyone in OZ heard of a new cooling fluid? "CoolTool". I have heard it is available in S.A. but can not find anything on it, It is water based and allowes cutting speed increasses by 33%. I saw a sample it is "bright navy blue" and worked in the show demo, but they are not here in the USA and I can not track them down. cheers, John
    Google showed up http://www.monroefluid.com/
    May be the same stuff
    Des

G'day people, I'm in Bayswater Vic. Shopfitting scene, spend my time on a Morbidelli Author 436s. First time login, so still looking around.

hi im in naracoorte south australia just joined cnc hope to start building mini steam engines soon.ash

Another from Brissy

Hi all,
    I have been around the forum for many months and thought I should add some (seniority or is that maturity)to this aussie bunch.
    I am retired after working for 60 years in Engineering fields.Much of this in American AeroSpace.
    I was Born in Aus went to school in england during WW2 and claim to be the only Ausralian born 10 Pound pom to migrate to Australia.

I have just built my first all ali gantry router. the best toy I ever had.
    I use Mach3 software and HobbyCNC controller.
    I did not use ball screws but 16 mm High tensile threaded rod with 2mm pitch.
    I found the rods were straight. (Less that $100 for three lead screws)
    I cast bronze flange nuts and after adjusting up the back lash I measured only
    .003 mm in 300 mm of travel.
    All this was achieved from information gleaned from this forum,inginuity,stupidity,and intelligent work arounds on many mistakes.

The only problem I have is that my other half is very house proud and wants to CLEAN my workshop.
    Cheers to all
    WJF
    The More I Learn The Less I Seem To Know

Hi

wjfiles , welcome to the fascinating world of CNC-machinery , and welcome from downunder Australia.

Big jump from the ward range of lathes ??

cheers

Welcome aboard Wjfiles,
    any chance of posting a photo of your machine for us to look at?

Cheers
    Splint

I'll second that. Welcome and How about some pics?

Where are you from? FPV_GTp, Splint and I are all from near Melbourne.

Greg

Hi to all. my name is Michael and I am located at Nowra on the South coast of NSW. I'm new to all this and am looking to build a small CNC machine to do some woodworking type things. Looking forward to talking to you all and listening to your advice on problems that I may encounter on my journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    I'll second that. Welcome and How about some pics?

Where are you from? FPV_GTp, Splint and I are all from near Melbourne.

Greg
    Hi Guys,
    I am from Brisbane, The Smart State:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
    The More I Learn The Less I Seem To Know

G'day,
    I'm in a state of confusion in the state of confusion, Tassie.

G'day!

My name's Mark and I live in Mount Annan, NSW, which is in southwest Sydney near Campbelltown and Camden.

I'm in the process of building a Rockcliff machine with the new slider plate. I've cut the wood and have been scouting around for bearings. The next trick will be to locate stepper motors.

Hope to post more soon.

Old Man Emu
    I can't fly, but I'm telling you ...
    I can run the pants off a kangaroo

Well my Linear Rails arrived today and I have finally started my build.
    I'm planning on a 900mm. x 900mm. router, which should give me about a 650mm. X 750mm. work area approximately.
    I'm not working from a plan, just what comes out of my head. I have though been studying the forum and taking note of what others have done.
    I'll be using steel RHS for the base, and aluminium for the gantry.
    For the start I will be using metric acme leadscrews with Delrin AB nuts.
    Finally, I have a Xylotex 4 Axis controller and 425 oz. steppers on order. I plan to eventually adapt the 4th. axis to the 6" rotary table that I have, so theoretically I will be able to machine and engrave cylindrical objects.
    I will post some pics when I get something of worth to show.

Regards,
    Deane.

G'day all,

I've just joined after lurking for a little while. I live in St Kilda, Melbourne. I'm an aero engineer working at Boeing Hawker de Havilland. I've played with CNC milling a little bit on my old uni's machines to make moulds for carbon fibre parts which went into building this solar car.

I have long wanted to have my own workshop, and my wife understands that when we buy a house that it must have room for that workshop. In the mean time we recently bought an apartment and she has agreed to allow a small lathe in, so I'll see if I can push it a little and get a benchtop mill as well (something around the size of an X3). But once I have my workshop I'll want a larger knee mill, so I started looking at CNC conversions for the future use of the small mill. As you can see, one thing has led to another and now I'm thinking, "why wait to do the conversion?" before we've even moved into the new apartment.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim!

I don't work for Boeing, but my neighbour across the road went to Seattle at Christmas for a two year secondment and I fly radio control with other fellows from Boeing Bankstown. The closest I come to Boeing is working on a Kaydet to get it on the Aussie Register.

Good luck with your build. Don't forget that the first thing you should make with the completed machine is something for your beloved.

Old Man Emu
    I can't fly, but I'm telling you ...
    I can run the pants off a kangaroo

Hi Guys,

I'm about 13km North of Brisbane CBD in Zillmere.

I found this site 1 week ago when searching for a local company to do some CNC routing. I didn't even think you could build a DIY CNC router, and I've caught the bug already.

I've been reading a lot of the posts here trying to gather as much info as possible and have got a long way to go.

I've got some basic woodworking tools (table saw, router table, drill press, mitre saw, etc) so am in a better position to build an MDF based table. I've also got some basic electronics tools and skills so could put assemble a controller kit if required. And I've been in IT for over 20 years so that should come in handy.

I'm obviously impressed with the Joes CNC design, but gather it is difficult to build this locally because it is based on imperial MDF and HDPE thicknesses and that you really need a CNC router and a fair amount of skill to cut it. And that having a kit shipped over here might be too expensive. Or am I wrong?

Has anyone built one of these or ordered a kit from Joe? I've just PM'd Joe to try and get some details as well.

I'm also in the USA in about 1 month and want to see if it's worth my while to try and bring back some parts even though I might not have decided on the final design of the machine I will likely build. I assume I could get a stepper / controller kit and use this on most designs around a similar size. If I can decide on the design before I leave that would make it easier.

Would like to catch up with some locals at some stage and have a beer or two.

Claudio

Welcome ClaudioG

yes this is a great site

there are many Austraian members here and some are very helpful

there are kits out there to make a cnc router table. Have a look at Geolt's threads probably one of the best Hobby machine designs you will find here in australia.

here are a few direct links

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23517

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28979

The electronics brakeout board and stepper and or servo motor drivers are around also just depending on which you decide to use

power supplies are plentful

ball screws or linear bearing slides or rack&pinion are readaly available

so most of the necessary components can be sourced thro this webiste

some members here are actaul suppliers.

Just ask questions and people will help

all round this website the guys are friendly

cheers

PS private message sent for further material if it is of any help

Thanks for that FPV.

I've just gotten through reading 115 pages of the Joes CNC thread and am very keen on building one of these, but have to work out if it's going to be worth while to do locally.

I'll post some specific questions in the main Aussie forum rather than this thread.

Cheers

Claudio

Tassie Router

Got my first router nearing completion. Steel and alloy construction.
    Most of the mechanicals are done, needs detailing, paint, etc to make it look right.
    Electronics and wiring next !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Router.jpg  

Page 9 of 20 789101119