588,644 active members*
4,928 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Latest Design CRP PRO4896 Build log Awesomeness!!

View Poll Results: Do you like the way things are getting done?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 72.73%
  • No

0 0%
  • Needs better Tools

2 18.18%
  • Needs More Space

0 0%
  • Thats so cool

1 9.09%
  • Its Retarded

0 0%
Page 9 of 14 7891011

Re: Latest Design CRP PRO4896 Build log Awesomeness!!

Can someone also tell me what R&P stands for lol yeah newb here!

Quote Originally Posted by workinwoods View Post
    Rack and pinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    gallenat0r

In the event you're not joking, it means rack and pinion. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ericclinedinst View Post
    In the event you're not joking, it means rack and pinion. Lol
    Lol nope wasn't joking thanks now I know

Okay I got a little more done today I was able to mount my control panel and the computer that I am using

I have to get:

x2 25ft pc power cords
    x1 40ft 12ga extension cord
    x1 25ft vga cable
    x1 25ft usb extension cable

I need to get all these items and then i should be able to wire everything up

There was mounting tabs included with the box but they dont really mount to anything on all 4 sides and I was not a big fan of hanging a 3000.00 box off of 2 holes lol So here are some mounting studs I made to mount to the frame I built

Front view of the control box

Inside of the panel nice a tidy I didn't see any problems there look like a very solid unit

Here is par tof the frame that I built to hold the control box (dog is exhausted!!)

Control box all mounted up the panel is flush with the back side of the machine so you will not run into it with your knee all day

Here is a blurry image of the control box

And a front view of the box

Ok now on to the computer mounting I really wish I had a welder!!!!

A pic of the computer all mounted up the cd tray just barely clears the aluminum extrusion bracket

A pic of the control box and the computer all attached I am not to thrilled about the power cord entry placement on the control panel I wish that it was on the bottom with all the other connections the cable is not going to look very good

Another pic from the front trying to show that they are both flush to the aluminum rail (stare down those cats doggie!!)

Now All I need to do is put everything back together after the paint dries I hope to get it all together tonight and I will take another pic once completed and then again once the wiring is all done

So my whole thought behind the plug n play electronics kit that it would be easy to hook up and mount to the machine. Its a very nice kit but again there is not instructions whatsoever so someone like me that is very new to the cnc world has no Idea what goes where. furthermore all the cables that come with this kit are not labeled and different lengths so you really don't know the correct routing of the cables. I called over to CNCRP and we worked somethings out but I will have more questions. I am just not a big fan of calling everything single time I need something. I remember back to putting my little cnc machine together and every single item I mean everything was labeled and there was written and video of each step until the machine was actually running. These instructions also included all the options you might purchase. I was really hoping that this machine would be the same but it is not there is alot of things with no documentation. it just gets very frustrating and wastes alot of time getting your machine operational. Alot of small business owners buy these machines and we really dont have weeks to assemble machines like this I would prefer to do it once and not have to redo something because its wrong.

Also the limit switch install instructions are not up to date and say nothing about cable routing

I was also hoping included in the price of the control panel brackets would be provided to mount the dang thing to the machine!!

All in all I like the way my bracket turned out

Looking good. I experienced the same issues with the plug and play. Relatively minor from what I recall. I think the only thing I called CNCRP about was just to confirm the 110v relay was in fact where the router was to be plugged into. I figured a check was in order so I didn't burn anything out. If you lay out the cables you can figure out how to run them, and what ones to connect together. All the steppers use the same cable connections and all the proximity sensors the same.... There is I believe a drawing showing which is x, y, z, and slave...etc. Also, if you arrange things differently and position your electronics differently you can use different length cables and combinations. I did use the hangers that came with the case and no problems so far. In reference to power, we moved into our new shop a few months ago and built the machine here. The shop only came wired with one 20amp circuit. We are adding a half dozen or so new circuits but are waiting on permits and time for my electrician to get out. In the meantime I've been using the single circuit for everything except the table saw (extension cord to 220v office AC plug) In case anyone was ever wondering, you can run everything on one 20A circuit - computer, CNC, router, dust collector, .... and a big shop fan too, without blowing any circuit breaker. Not ideal but possible.

Time to fire that bad boy up soon...

x2 25ft pc power cords
    x1 40ft 12ga extension cord
    x1 25ft vga cable
    x1 25ft usb extension cable
    If you use 25 ft usb ext cable, you may have some noise on your controller. Or you should have very good usb ext cable.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    If you use 25 ft usb ext cable, you may have some noise on your controller. Or you should have very good usb ext cable.
    Yeah I was thinking about that but if I plug in my usb stick then transfer the files to my local hard drive then I should eliminate that issue correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mussersail View Post
    Looking good. I experienced the same issues with the plug and play. Relatively minor from what I recall. I think the only thing I called CNCRP about was just to confirm the 110v relay was in fact where the router was to be plugged into. I figured a check was in order so I didn't burn anything out. If you lay out the cables you can figure out how to run them, and what ones to connect together. All the steppers use the same cable connections and all the proximity sensors the same.... There is I believe a drawing showing which is x, y, z, and slave...etc. Also, if you arrange things differently and position your electronics differently you can use different length cables and combinations. I did use the hangers that came with the case and no problems so far. In reference to power, we moved into our new shop a few months ago and built the machine here. The shop only came wired with one 20amp circuit. We are adding a half dozen or so new circuits but are waiting on permits and time for my electrician to get out. In the meantime I've been using the single circuit for everything except the table saw (extension cord to 220v office AC plug) In case anyone was ever wondering, you can run everything on one 20A circuit - computer, CNC, router, dust collector, .... and a big shop fan too, without blowing any circuit breaker. Not ideal but possible.

Time to fire that bad boy up soon...
    Hey man you mentioned that you used the hangers that came with the control panel? could you snap a quick pic and show how you used those?

I did that too and here is an image that you can just make out how they were used.
    Worked great BTW.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I did that too and here is an image that you can just make out how they were used.
    Worked great BTW.

oh i see okay so you mounted that one on the wall very nice man I wish I could of gotten the spindle lol

anywhoo does anyone know exactly how the relay power inputs on the control panel are configured?

with a regular router can you plug it into one of the relay power sources and then be able to at least turn it on in Mach 3?

alright everyone its time to start worring about a dust collection shoe for the machine Please let me know if you have any ideas for a great dust shoe

Note: I do not want to buy one the whole reason for having cnc machines is so that I can make stuff lol

thanks

alright everyone its time to start worring about a dust collection shoe for the machine Please let me know if you have any ideas for a great dust shoe

Note: I do not want to buy one the whole reason for having cnc machines is so that I can make stuff lol

thanks
    Cncrp has one on thingiverse that I plan to make when I get my 4x8 in a couple of weeks.

--
    gallenat0r

Quote Originally Posted by gallenat0r View Post
    Cncrp has one on thingiverse that I plan to make when I get my 4x8 in a couple of weeks.

oh really would you happen to have a link? FOUND IT!! lol

Universal CNC Router & Spindle Dust Shoe by CNCRouterParts - Thingiverse
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8f7d71dd3c886c8379015ecf2f078228_preview_featured.JPG  

Yeah I like that shoe its nice and simple and I think will work for now all I need to get is a 1" thick piece of natural HDPE I have the .5"

If any one has a small piece like that for the build please let me know 417-343-8179 65802 is my zip

I believe I need a 6.5" x 11" but I would prefer just a tad bigger

thanks

I was going to take a photo but the one Lee sent you shows everything. Basically you pop out those 4 rubber plugs in the rear of box and attach the 4 hangers with the screws provided. The hangers have two different types of keyhole slots so make sure you put the two top on top, and bottom on bottom. It should be pretty obvious as the idea is you can just drop the unit on two the floor and it will lock in. I have a wood panel its attached to so just slides on screws but with yours you could bolt straight through the hangers into your track I would think.

The Relay - yes, the router will turn on in Mach 3. The plug in or whatever it is from CNCRP that you select when you open Mach3 takes care of it for you. I think there is a second relay but I assume you would need work in the g-code to get that to turn on.

Vacuum shoe - I went the easy way and ordered the Kent shoe and it works great. The price is a little steep and Ill have to get another when I switch to a spindle, but it was easy to deal with and since I was still learning things I didn't want it to be my first project. Also, you have to source the materials and that involves a little time. I imagine the plastic would be available from an online supplier. We have a large steel - metals - hardware - construction store near my house (a sort of Home Depot for big boys) and they stock HDPE in quality and in many sizes. If you can't find a source, they will ship all over US - Joseph Fazzio, shopJFI.com I would call them, they are very helpful. If you are ever in southern NJ its one of those places well worth a visit - except for the steel yard you can wander around anywhere - they buy industrial surplus in large quantities so you never know what you will find. Lots of machines, although I've yet to see a CNC there. A trip there every saturday or so has become a tradition.

USB 'sneaker net' is how I do all my file transfer.
    Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    USB 'sneaker net' is how I do all my file transfer.
    Cheers
    Roger
    sneaker net? lol

Okay got a little more done today

I snapped a few pics of the completed bracket for the control panel and computer

Okay and now I moved onto the mounting the computer screen, keyboard, e-stop, and mouse

So I just wanted to do a quick simple bracket out of wood so here is what I came up with. Note: the computer monitor are on the complete opposite corner of the machine than the control box and computer doing this will allow me to have all my controls at the cnc home position

Here is starting the bracket for the monitor (So also I would think it would look cool if I made a cover for this square and do some led back lighting maybe with my logo or something

another view

Monitor Mounted!! yes its level lol I know it doesn't look like it in the picture

Another View

view Happy!!

Stop it!!

Okay here is the completed mount for everything its going to be a little weird to use because the mouse is under the keyboard but I didn't want it in the way of the machine when it comes over to home position Also in this shot is the e stop that was a pain in the **** to mount as I didn't have any roll in t nuts the correct size I used a bolt with a large washer and nut real pain getting that large washer in there! but I saved 2 bucks YAY!! I also wanted to mount the e-stop to something super solid because we all know when you hit that your not doing it gingerly lol

another view

another

and another

I am pretty happy with the way that it turned out we will see how long it takes to break just made out of cheap mdf its solid but dont spill water on it lol

Now I will move onto connecting everything up and finish up the machine cable management I am so freakin ready for this machine to be operational!!!

my z axis wont be here until the 30th hurry!!!

Sneakernet - the term was in use in the early 1980s at least.
    The popular comment was that a small boy on a bicycle with a basket full of mag tapes had 'infinitely' more bandwidth than anything else on the market.
    Cheers
    Roger

Page 9 of 14 7891011