588,212 active members*
4,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 19 7891011

Re: Cheap TTS style collet chucks

I would buy set screw blanks. If they came with the set screw drilled and tapped already and if the hole for the cutter was already center drilled. I could drill and ream for whatever tool shank size I needed.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    New 10pcs C3 4 ER20A 1 38" Collet Chuck Straight Collet Chuck CNC Milling Lathe | eBay

So being that these above are not tapered, how does that effect there repeat-ability? Will these still work in a wine rack ATC? 10 pieces for $100 dollars sounds like some cost savings if they will do that for me
    Why would not being tapered have anything to do with repeatability?

The holders locate against the face of the spindle. The taper only allows for easier entry
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I think the theory is that due to the relatively small tooth load on smaller diameter cutters it doesn't go well with the tendency for setscrew holders to slightly offset the cutter relative to the tool holder's rotational axis.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Something else that would be really great is if they would make set screw holders for 1/8 and 3/16 shank end mills.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    I think the theory is that due to the relatively small tooth load on smaller diameter cutters it doesn't go well with the tendency for setscrew holders to slightly offset the cutter relative to the tool holder's rotational axis.

Phil
    I can buy CAT 40 holders for 1/8 and 3/16 shank tools. Why not TTS holders as well?
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I'm giving you the answer given by Tormach, so you have the answer to your question. Whether it is a valid reason or not is another matter. However as the issue is one of degree of concentricity possibly it is to do with the precision/tolerances of manufacture, together with the desire to avoid complaints about "my small cutters keep breaking, what should I do".

Other than that I don't know, use your imagination.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I can buy CAT 40 holders for 1/8 and 3/16 shank tools. Why not TTS holders as well?

Re: Cheap TTS style collet chucks

You can buy sherline holders and thread a TTS maybe?

Might be of more interest to UK Tormach users but I have a few ¾ shank ER32 Y&S tool holders spare. I could only buy in tens which is more than I need.

So got a few spare at what I paid for them plus some postage say £20 each. I will be in the US in three weeks’ time so if anyone wants some I can post in country at say $40 each a bit more I know but I am not sure what the damage will be for postage in the US

Payment UK, BCC or cleared cheque or to my PayPal account US PayPal only
    Drop me a PM if you’re interested.

jim

Looks like bsello168 has got a new version that may be compatible with ATC's: Precision 10pcs ATC C3 4 ER20 1 38 Straight Collet Chuck CNC Toolholder | eBay

-Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kingjamez View Post
    Looks like bsello168 has got a new version that may be compatible with ATC's: Precision 10pcs ATC C3 4 ER20 1 38 Straight Collet Chuck CNC Toolholder | eBay

-Jim
    want.

i think im gonna finally bite on these.

Price is right too

Just a quick note, if you decide to buy these in the US, there's another add by the same seller, that make look cheaper at a glance, (153 vs 169), but the shipping is higher, so the total price is more. I believe that particular ad is targeted to the UK, since the primary pricing is in pounds.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Just a quick note, if you decide to buy these in the US, there's another add by the same seller, that make look cheaper at a glance, (153 vs 169), but the shipping is higher, so the total price is more. I believe that particular ad is targeted to the UK, since the primary pricing is in pounds.
    Terry
    this seller has ads directed at uk, europe, us and australia. you do need to check you have the right one, to get the right price. *usually* only the ads avaialble to your shipping location show up though.

Anyone test them yet?

I've bought from these ebayers a number of times before and noticed that the price in different countries are often different, as are the shipping costs. so I just buy whichever is cheapest overall, regardless of stated country. No problem. In fact the same item may appear in the same "shop" more than once at different prices, so you need to check all the way through.

Phil

PS: Everything is shipped from Hong Kong so the seller seems not to care which shop you order from, why should he. If the add lists your country as a shipping location and it accepts your credit card then the deal is done.

Bit, hook is set and I am on the line. I'll let you know how they work out.

I have bought the ER32 chucks that fit the Tormach TTS system and they are very good. Have not yet grooved them for the ATC however.

nitewatchman

Interesting that the auction is now over and the ATC version is no longer listed on bsello's store....

Quote Originally Posted by Kingjamez View Post
    Interesting that the auction is now over and the ATC version is no longer listed on bsello's store....
    Yes it most certainly is strange.

I ordered a set yesterday morning and looks like a few minutes ago they were leaving Hong Kong heading this way. I wonder if they will actually make it here or be turned around?

DHL Waybill: 669587XXXX

Clearance processing complete at HONG KONG - HONG KONG
    Origin Service Area: DONGGUAN - DONGGUAN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC
    Destination Service Area: BIRMINGHAM, AL - Birmingham - USA

nitewatchman

odd. one of 2 things: he sold them all out (unlikely) or someone complained and had them removed (also seems unlikely).

This morning 4 sets had sold. What is more likely is that a complaint was made to eBay regarding infringement and they pulled the listings. There were listing in the USA,UK, AUS, etc. and they all appear to be gone.

Running the listing backwards from my purchase screen eBay says that the listing has been removed.

nitewatchman

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    This morning 4 sets had sold. What is more likely is that a complaint was made to eBay regarding infringement and they pulled the listings. There were listing in the USA,UK, AUS, etc. and they all appear to be gone.

Running the listing backwards from my purchase screen eBay says that the listing has been removed.

nitewatchman
    but whats the complaint? its frivolous if tormach made it, because theres been a few others selling atc compatible holders - i think some even BEFORE tormach. im pretty sure tormach also realises that for TTS to become an entrenched standard, they NEED other companies to make tools.

i messaged the seller to ask.

Page 9 of 19 7891011