588,068 active members*
5,011 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > THB6064H(4.5A)-Stepping Motor Driver IC 4.5amp
Page 9 of 10 78910
    No problem.
    Everybody can and will get full product support from me and James, we are not like some other Ebay sellers which dump products and don't reply anymore once sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovre View Post
    Hi everybody... I ordered one set of pcb and chip... Could someone explain little bit further parts list.. I'll get them locally so I need some more details...
    I believe you ordered from Luc? So follow his part list. If you ordered from me, the parts list is right here on the web page:
    techref.massmind.org/Techref/io/stepper/THB6064/index.htm

Let me know if there is any information missing that would help you.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

If everyone have tech questions about THB6064AH, just post here.
    Luc. James and me will give free tech support all the time.

Hope all of you will enjoy your work and life.

Guys... I was lookimg for some stuff about this driver and found very similar chip THB8182.

Any info on that? Is it the same? Is it something else?

Guys... I was lookimg for some stuff about this driver and found very similar chip THB8182. Any info on that? Is it the same? Is it something else?
    Need more info. A link? Otherwise we'll just be converting 8182 Thailand Baht to other currencies. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by vegipete View Post
    Need more info. A link? Otherwise we'll just be converting 8182 Thailand Baht to other currencies. ;-)
    Sorry mate.. THB8128 is right... I made little typing error

Sorry mate.. THB8128 is right... I made little typing error
    Yes, THB8128 is similar with THB6064AH.If you want to know more,you can see the datasheet.

Some datasheet as attached,you can get all the info about THb8128 from them.

Any questions,just post here or email me. Maybe I can't reply at once,due to my vocation(29th Dec.-3nd Jan.), but I'll reply ASAP after my holiday.

My email is [email protected]

Happy New Year to all guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anoncement about THB series chips by SANYO semiconductor(H.K.) Co.,Ltd.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

i have heard that THB6064 does not require a dumper like Gecko's - back-EMF dumping can be made by using 8 diodes. Is it rigth? How to do that?
    Purelogic RnD

Quote Originally Posted by Alexey Vorobyev View Post
    i have heard that THB6064 does not require a dumper like Gecko's - back-EMF dumping can be made by using 8 diodes. Is it rigth? How to do that?
    You can’t totally depend on 8 diodes to reduce EMF,because its effect is not great. If you want to know more about its function, please provide more details about your problems.

The diodes provide no protection against back EMF. The motors act like generators and charges the power supply to a voltage beyond the rating of the chip.

For the 6064, a dump circuit is unnecessary if the power supply was kept below 42v or so.

Quote Originally Posted by H500 View Post
    For the 6064, a dump circuit is unnecessary if the power supply was kept below 42v or so.
    Why? As far as i understand, during motors generate energy(back-EMF), current consuming slow down, and when back-EMF are equal to power supply EMF, driver do not consume current from power supply. But sometimes back-EMF are bigger than power supply voltage, and current direction reverse, also, back-EMF voltage have no relation with power supply, so it does no matter are it 20 or 42 vdc , right? At least if power supply input installed diode like Shottky SS14.
    Purelogic RnD

What's best way to protecth 6064 from back emf?
    What's difference between THB6064 and TB6560, except current, voltage and microstep?
    Purelogic RnD

Why? As far as i understand, during motors generate energy(back-EMF), current consuming slow down, and when back-EMF are equal to power supply EMF, driver do not consume current from power supply. But sometimes back-EMF are bigger than power supply voltage, and current direction reverse, also, back-EMF voltage have no relation with power supply, so it does no matter are it 20 or 42 vdc , right? At least if power supply input installed diode like Shottky SS14.
    Normally all the back emf is consumed by the other drivers or get stored by the capacitors. The only time that doesn't happen is if you hit the panic button and stopped all axes suddenly.

The generated voltage depends on the mechanics. If you're driving a dovetail slide, the friction will be so high that almost none of the energy will be returned to the supply.

If your power supply voltage was low enough, adding a few extra volts of back emf will not exceed the rating of the chip. Therefore, no protection is needed.

What's best way to protecth 6064 from back emf?
    If you wish to maximize performance, then you might choose to run closer to 48v. In that case, Marriss's dump circuit offer the best protection. Otherwise no protection is needed.

What's difference between THB6064 and TB6560, except current, voltage and microstep?
    The 6064 does not self destruct if you failed to sequence the power supply properly. The 6560 might.

Hi,

I have the HobbyCNC motors (425oz in, 3Amp, 4.2V, 3.2mH) fed with 36V. What would its oz-in rating will be if I use the thb6064 driver with it?

And how do you wire motor power to 4 separate drives?

Thanks in advance.

Jordan

P.S. I'm still a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by j2sip View Post
    Hi,

I have the HobbyCNC motors (425oz in, 3Amp, 4.2V, 3.2mH) fed with 36V. What would its oz-in rating will be if I use the thb6064 driver with it?

And how do you wire motor power to 4 separate drives?
    Thanks in advance.

Jordan

P.S. I'm still a newbie.

Jordan,

The HobbyCNC 23-305-DS8A stepper motor will perform as advertised with the THB6064, the r.p.m. will suffer slightly due to
    the 36 volt power supply. The optimum voltage for your motor is approximately 80 volts however that would smoke the THB6064 driver in less than a heartbeat.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Jordan,

The HobbyCNC 23-305-DS8A stepper motor will perform as advertised with the THB6064, the r.p.m. will suffer slightly due to
    the 36 volt power supply. The optimum voltage for your motor is approximately 80 volts however that would smoke the THB6064 driver in less than a heartbeat.

Jeff...
    As long as it spins at or near 350RPM I'll be a happy camper. I'm hoping to get a huge lower speed torque difference over the hobbyCNC board. Thanks for the reply.

Hello,

I'm looking to use two of Lucas's THB6064AH stepper drivers with my Denford Orac (Emco Compact 8 based) cnc lathe. I was hoping to get some advice on suitable steppers to use in conjunction with these. The original motors have the following specs

step angle: 1,8°
    rated phase current A: 3,1
    phase resistance Ω: 0,90
    phase inductance mH: 2,9
    holding torque unipolar* Ncm: 141
    holding torque bipolar* Ncm: 182
    detent torque Ncm: 12
    rotor inertia g/cm2: 640
    max. applicable voltage V: 90

I don't know how comparable these specs are with modern motors though - these date from the '80s. I've looked around but it's not clear to me whether these drivers are suitable for comparable modern motors. So for example this motor has a max holding torque of 3.1Nm. But the inductance is 3.2mH and it states a required current of 4.2A for that torque. With that inductance I make it 32*(3.2^0.5)=57V power supply required (according to a guide on Geko Drive's website). But ~40V seems to be the max with the THB6064AH. So I'm not sure whether this is a good match, and whether I'll get acceptable performance.

Or could I drive the old steppers with the THB6064AH?

I guess this is well trodden ground, but I have read around quite a bit (well, a lot) and I want to avoid making costly mistakes.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Luke

I think that you should give it a try. I think you could easily find that this gives you acceptable performance. Eitherway, more or less all stepers of 3 Nm will give you similar inductance and resistance data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: THB6064H(4.5A)-Stepping Motor Driver IC 4.5amp

Hi everybody!

I have a cnc which run with theese drivers and the above motors :
    Minebea 23PM-C108 6 wire unipolar ( series setup )
    5.4V / phase
    1.5A / phase

I have set the driver to 1.5A , half step , and powered with 28V PSU however at a 5 minute job with not a big deal of a load, the motors overheats.
    In which way can I fine tune the setup for the motors to stay cooler but at the same time not to loose a great amount of torque?
    Does the decay settings of the driver can have an impact on this matter ?
    Or maybe using a half-coil setup worth trying ?!...although I am aware of the change of torque behavior.

Page 9 of 10 78910