588,285 active members*
4,571 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chip/Coolant Containment

I've finally succeeded in containing the chips and coolant flying off my BP clone. The containment consists of several pieces:

1) A telescoping way cover to protect the Y/Z ways behind the table. The cover extends from about 6-1/2" to 24", to cover the full range of motion of the table. The top is attached to the underside of the ram, while the bottom is attached to a 1/4" plate bolted to the back of the saddle. Both ends attach via piano hinges.
    2) A Plexiglas enclosure around the front and sides of the table. This is 24" tall, and has a pair of bifold doors on the front, giving full access to the entire table when open.
    3) A large sheet-metal tray under the table, to catch chips and coolant. This is roughly 3 feet deep, and 8 feet long. I had it fabricated by a local HVAC shop using galvanized steel sheet. It is mostly just folded from a single sheet, with the few seams spot-welded and soldered, to make them water-tight.
    4) A pair of clear shower curtains, to catch the chips/coolant that escape between the telescoping way cover and the table enclosure.

I used it today for the first time, and it worked perfectly. After a full day of milling, I had piles of chips, but the only chips that reached the floor were a few strays that fell out when I opened the doors on the front of the table enclosure to do tool changes, etc.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1060156.JPG   P1060160.jpg  

Coolant/Chip Containment

I need to build a setup like yours. My wife (and me as well) is getting tired of me dragging chips into the house. How do you fit a vise on your table? Does the shield extend forward enough to accommodate a vise? Would you be willing to share your drawing of the system? If not, could you send me some more pictures. Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery. I would love to copy your design. That is one of the neatest designs I have seen.

[email protected]

nice job- that should keep the place nice and tidy

I dont have that much room- built a bigger garage, but too much junk...Ive been thinking about a sliding table to ram guard much like yours, but with the ends bent up/forward as mines a old cnc model, it has the coolant trough around the table already, getting everything to stay inside the table area is my first preference...

I also want to brake up a simple 'U' lexan piece to wrap around the front of the ram, with a simple 4-link (with enough drag to hold position snugly) and counterweight so it can be simply pushed up/down to clear the work as needed...90% of the time, this and a back telescopic sheet would do for whatever I mess with...