587,990 active members*
5,578 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Removing the G0602 chuck

I'm in the process of cleaning up my new G0602. However, I'm stuck (literally) on removing the 3-jaw chuck. I *think* I'm following the directions in the manual (insert one chuck wrench into the "spindle lock hole", the other into the chuck, pull). This simply isn't working. I've pulled to the point that I've bent one of the chuck keys and it's just not moving. (And yes, I removed the locks)

Has anyone else had this problem? What I really need is what I've always called a spindle wrench, it's like a half-circle with pin at one end. It hooks into the hole in the spindle and wraps around it. But I can't find anyone selling them, at least under that name.

On a side note, why on earth would you ship the lathe with chuck installed?

Hah, welcome to the G0602! Yes, this is a common problem and one I think is just dumb. It took a rather significant effort for me to remove the chuck. I ended up using a 5/16" drill rod and a stack of shim supported by wood over the ways to stop the spindle against with the drill rod parallel to the shim stack. That shim should butt up as close as possible to the spindle so the drill rod can't bend or shoot shim at you. Then I used a large wrench over one jaw to give me some leverage and put my weight into it. Protect the ways from the wrench because it will be easy to hit when the chuck finally breaks loose. 20/20 hindsight I would use a long wooden lever in the jaws rather than risk damage with the wrench. Worked ok for me though.

The factory instructions were not going to get it done. I too had bent chuck keys and also had the spanner holes start wallowing out and it had not budged till I came up with this.

---
    - Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Finally got the stupid thing off this morning. I ended up putting a large pipe wrench on the back end of the spindle and a large flat bar in between the jaws of the chuck. I jammed the pipe wrench against an aluminum bar slid into the base to secure it and gave a few hefty swats with a rubber mallet on the bar in the jaws to pop it loose.

I see now why it was jammed. The threads will filled with grit and crud that had solidified into a crude Loctite. Again, I say shipping it with the chuck installed is not a good idea.

I've owned a half-dozen other Grizzly machines over the years and four of them are still in my shop. While they're no shining example of quality machines, they're decent enough. I'm surprised, however, at the low quality and half-assed design of some areas on this lathe. I'm beginning to reget buying it.

Hey woodnerd. Dont give up on your G0602. Just think of it as a kit lathe. They can cut pretty well once you get things cleaned up and some of the tolerances tightened up. Just take your time and work at one area at a time. It will grow like a flower and then finally blossom. Remember, its only a $1000 lathe. I am not regreting mine at all although I got it scratch and dent from Grizzly for $500.

Yeah, well, that's a whole 'nother issue. The chip pan and four-jaw chuck had both come loose in the crate. Chip pan was dented/bent, control panel bent, bent splash guard, multiple scratches, rubs, and chips. I'm going to try and get them to give it to me at S&D prices or a big discount on another new machine (I'm eying the new SX4-class mill).

Like he just said. It's a $1000, 10" swing metal lathe. It's not going to be perfect quality. However, once you get past cleaning and inspection and get to actually doing work on it I think your regret will fade. Mine ain't perfect either but as time goes on I improve a little hear and there and I'm happy when I consider the work it's able to do for me.

My big gripe is that my 4 jaw doesn't hold work true to the axis. Anything long always came out with a wobble. I since added a Bison set-tru chuck to take up most of the need for the 4-jaw. Totally different experience. Work runs under 0.003" at over a foot from the jaws, every time. It'll need some help to really get things precise but it's a hell of a lot better starting point than some of the others.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Quote Originally Posted by thewoodnerd View Post
    Yeah, well, that's a whole 'nother issue. The chip pan and four-jaw chuck had both come loose in the crate. Chip pan was dented/bent, control panel bent, bent splash guard, multiple scratches, rubs, and chips. I'm going to try and get them to give it to me at S&D prices or a big discount on another new machine (I'm eying the new SX4-class mill).
    Hmmm, that's a bit more damage than I would want to accept either. Did you notice it when the crate was opened. I made the UPS guy wait while I opened it up before I signed. The crates they use have got to be costing them a lot of returns. They almost universally fail.

The crate itself was in perfect shape and did it's job. But whoever crated the machine didn't fasten down the chip pan, it was just laid on top of the lathe. And the little plastic strap used to hold the chuck had simply popped loose from where it was nailed to the pallet.

Yeeesh. They definitely owe you a new chip pan. The paint chips ans scratches wouldn't bother me much especially now that I used it a year. That paint comes off if you look at wrong so after a little use there will be many more chips. Chips or scratches on the precision surfaces would be another story. I prefer to do those myself. I'd definitely want a new pan and splash guard if it's in similar shape. Just my own feelings, once it was in the basement there was not much I would be willing to crate it all back up over

I'd take 10 seconds, bend it back to shape and move on with life but that's just my opinion.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Hoss, I don't think you really grasp how bent-up this thing is.

I've purchased multiple Grizzly machines over the last few years and dealt with minor issues on almost every one. But this one is beyond the pale. Should have been a scratch & dent clearance item.

Only going by the pic you posted and the fact that it's just bent sheet metal but good luck
    and hope you have some joy with it soon.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com