588,643 active members*
4,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ordering a NM-135

I am going to be ordering a NM-135 tomorrow to replace my LMS 3501.

My big challenge like a few others here is going to be getting it up the garden steps (see pictures) into my office. My office door is not going to be a problem as it is extra wide.

So my options are going to be to hire some muscle (4 people) to try to lift it up the steps, but I am nervous about doing this due to the constraints imposed by the wall either side of the steps and the potential of damage.

The second option is to break the mill down into 2 or 3 chunks and use a hand truck to get it up the stairs.

If I go this route I will probably buy the 1 ton folding shop crane, 1000 lb movers dolly and a 2 ton lifting sling from Harborfreight and this hand truck http://www.handtrucksrus.com/crashde...ID=249&cx=comp.

Any thoughts/ suggestions from fellow NM-135 users?

Thanks

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg   photo-4.jpg  

I have moved a large 700 lb gun safe up and down stairs several times using a refrigerator dolly. It isn't easy but it's doable with 2 or 3 strong guys so you should be able to do it if you break the mill down into a couple of pieces. Make sure that the load is strapped securely to the dolly and take it one step at a time. Put one guy on the handles pulling it up the stairs and 2 guys lifting from the other side.

You might be overthinking this. The Armstrong Method is hard to beat. I'll bet it could be carried without mishap.

I wouldn't want to break the mill down if it can be avoided. This will be more work than you might think and you'll still have some really heavy pieces that have to be correctly reassembled. Not fun.

Your location is "USA" so I would guess that you have a high school nearby. Most self-respecting high schools have a football team. Most self-respecting football teams have some pretty big and buff guys. Call the school, the coach or the booster club. Hire 4 or 5 inside lineman. They probably need a break from the weight room anyway.

I'm perfectly serious. I did this to move in a 400 pound lathe. Three guys did it in 5 minutes without breaking a sweat and nary a grunt even. Ten bucks each, they were happy, and I was happy. They approached the task with the utmost seriousness and teamwork.

I have good reason to believe that this will work out just fine since as I type this there is a brand new NM-135 sitting on the bench two feet away. (I now have an engine crane and my entry path is flat, so I was able to dispense with the gorillas this time). The crate that surrounds the mill can be peeled off, leaving it bolted to a stout plywood base. It would be easy to carry it bolted to the base. If you think that the base is too wide, cut it down or replace it with a couple of two by twelves.

Whatever you decide to do, Good Luck and congrats on the new mill!! :cheers:

I can get the manpower, so that is not an issue and I guess I could get two pieces of wood (2x4 or similar) and bolt them to the base and then use them as carrying/lifting handles (medieval litter style) with 4 people lifting.

I think you are right I am overthinking this which already caused me to originally buy the KX1 from LMS.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger this morning (pleasure talking to Khai) and it should turn up in California at the end of next month.

In the meantime I am going to start designing an enclosure.

Could someone who owns a NM-135 with the stand give me a few measurements.

1. What is the width and length of the widest part of the Coolant catch tray on the bottom of the machine.

2. What is the depth of the top flat lip of the coolant catch tray (I intend to bolt the base of the enclosure around this).

3. What is the maximum width (x axis) of the machine with the x axis at its furthest extents in each direction and the same for the y axis. I need this to calculate the minimum size of the enclosure.

Thanks

David

David:

I'm at work now but I'll do some measurements tonight.

David also

Great - Thanks!

1. 36.125" x 24"

2. Not sure what you mean. 1
    1.8" across the rim, i.e., across the top of the inverted "U" channel that forms the perimeter of the tray
    .8" is the height of the rim, i.e., the side of the inverted "U"

3. 35" deep, but allow at least 2.5" more for the connectors on the back
    46.5" wide for the total envelope

Perfect! Thank you very much.

I will post my enclosure design once done.

David

You're very welcome. I'm interested in seeing what you come you with for an enclosure. In the meantime, I'm getting started with the new adventure of learning Mach3 and making the thing run!

Today I had bad news and good news from Khai.

The bad news is that my mill has been delayed by two weeks.

The good news is they are making some improvements to the mill.

The first change is adding a thermal cooling fan to the spindle head assembly. This will decrease operating temperatures and prolong spindle life.

The second change is integrating a coolant nozzle to the machine, just like on the NM-200. This will allow you to simple add a coolant hose and a pump if the need arises.

They are removing the splash guard from the table.

David

deleted - duplicate