587,250 active members*
3,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Opening a Solidworks part in Bobcam

Opening a Solidworks part in Bobcam

I have V21 Demo and after opening a Solidworks part file I can't figure out what to do to generate a tool path. I went to special and did insert NC and selectded my processor. Any tips to get me going in the correct direction to define my tool paths?

Thanks
    John

A few things but first.

Have you looked at the tutorials or Sorin's videos? This might help working on some of these things.

To do solids it is really simple.

1) Locate part on UCS where you will be machining it on the mill.
    2)
    a) (you already have done by creating NC and selecting post)
    b) turn on 3D in the NC Cam Toolbar
    c) Macro>Program>Start and also select the correct tool.
    3) Draw boundry if needed (box to limit tool path)
    4) Select part.
    5) Go to menu Solid>Generate toolpath
    6) Select the toolpath type (I would suggest starting with Planer tool path)
    7) Walk through the menus and the code will generate at the end.
    8) End program

I know these are basics but if you go to Sorin's sight ... www.cadcamtrainer.com and sign up you will get access to his free videos. They will help. Also look at any manuals Bobcad provided or get their training CDs.

Not yet, I'm downloading them now. That got me to the go box.

Thanks
    John

Ok, If I load a solidworks part with some holes and counter bores and I just want to machine the holes and counter bores how do I just select them to generate machine code?

John

Drilling is different than solid machining.

You will need to place a point in the center of the holes to drill. But first you need to extract the edges of the solid.

Select the solid then go to the menu Solids>extract edges. Now you have a wire frame of the solid. This frame can be used to do several other types of operations counting on what you need, including drilling holes or profile milling.

You may wish to hide the solid part at this time to get it out of the way.

Put a point inthe hole center by menu Point>Arc center and then select the arc.

Now you have a point to drill at.

Basically from here it is largely up to the machine control type but you would typically do your drilling from the NC side Cycle>drilling. Watch the videos for better detail.

As for C-boring....let me know what type and I will try to help (using cbore tool or pocket milling).

Thanks
    I got the drilling part down now.

I can't seem to figure out how to do a CircPock on Bobcad. I have the top and bottom of the pocket on the wire frame but when I select them and do an NC generate it does a spiral then rapids to the bottom and does another spiral...

John

ejdfast Guest
    Call bobcad support, They will help you

Quote Originally Posted by Big John T View Post
    Thanks
    I got the drilling part down now.

I can't seem to figure out how to do a CircPock on Bobcad. I have the top and bottom of the pocket on the wire frame but when I select them and do an NC generate it does a spiral then rapids to the bottom and does another spiral...

John
    Select only the Bottom Wire Frame and set the 3d option on the CAM Side. Also Set the Tool Up/Down feature and at the Bottom of that Dialog Box you can set the feedrate. Just make sure you put an "F" in capital in front of your number.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Hmmmm.. I would normally select only the Top wire frame. Is there a reason you would select the bottom Toby? Or is this just a difference in preferences only? I select the top and go down for any code I do.

But Toby is correct in that you only select the one edge. If you select more than one then Bobcad is looking to pocket a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Hmmmm.. I would normally select only the Top wire frame. Is there a reason you would select the bottom Toby? Or is this just a difference in preferences only? I select the top and go down for any code I do.

But Toby is correct in that you only select the one edge. If you select more than one then Bobcad is looking to pocket a second time.
    More a matter of preference than anything else. I usually Machine with the 3D on. Set the Tool Up/Down, and DOC for Roughing.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com