587,792 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Has anyone noticed

Some of the tool holders on the tormach site now come set up for a tool changer.

Now thats interesting since they have been working on a tool changer for a while now? Not to sure I will ever go that route with this small machine we have a few mazaks here so I really dont need to but it's cool anyway.

I noticed in Tikka308's blog that a substantial percentage of his toolholders have the grooves for the ATC gripper so they have been shipping them for at least a month.

bob

You know, it's interesting... At first I was excited that Tormach was developing an ATC. Now, with the power draw bar, I'm not sure how much it will help me. I usually don't mill unattended - and regardless of ATC or not, I try to minimize tool changes for obvious reasons. Plus, it sounds like the ATC will only hold ten tools. That means if any tools outside of the 10 in the ATC are used in a program, it sort of negates the convenience of the ATC.

I'm guessing that swapping the tool number (the T and H in the Gcode, as well as the offset data in the mach3 tool table) will be a PITA if you want to keep swapping which of your 10 tools are the in the ATC.

On most jobs, I'll use a face mill, roughing end mill, spot drill, 1/8" EM, 1/4" EM, 3/8" EM, 1/8" drill, 1/4" drill, #3 or #7 and a tap. That's 10 right there. So if I have to pull an 11th tool from my tool table manually, it means less interruption with an ATC (e.g. most of the tool changes are still automated) but it's not 100%.

Right now, I've got a 60-tool tool table set up next to my mill (only half have TTS....). When used with the PDB, it's really not bad at all. For $2-$3k (guessing the cost of the ATC), I think I'd rather have more tooling. Or put it towards their CNC lathe

Here's a video I just posted on a part being made with multiple changes via the power draw bar: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtIcUsSJkaw"]YouTube - Ch 17 - Milling a vise handle[/nomedia]. Since this (like many) was a first-time part, I'm going to watch the part while it's being made anyways in case there are any problems (CAM errors, TTS collet slip, etc)
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Tool changers

I think I remember reading the the tool changer will contain tool locations that can be set for the require tool number needed. For instance it will have tool locations a-j that you can set to the needed tools for the job from your tool list/library. If this isn't a feature I would agree it would be useless to me also, I currently have 22 tools in my tool library and don't want to reset them everytime I change parts to manufacture.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Valid points.

For me personally I do about 80% of my machining unattended. The atc would allow me to increase this, as well as run one more cycle before I leave the shop at night. Although for me a part that uses more then 6 tools is fairly rare. One area I know that it will be beneficial is in cases where I might use the smallest em I need to save tool changes.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    I'm guessing that swapping the tool number (the T and H in the Gcode, as well as the offset data in the mach3 tool table) will be a PITA if you want to keep swapping which of your 10 tools are the in the ATC.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be simpler to just update the tool table for any cutters that changed?

OTOH, I use SprutCAM for almost all my programs and updating the tool table in Mach and in SprutCAM would get old pretty quickly, though I kind of do that any way when my available set of tool holders is full and a program needs a cutter that isn't already in the set.

Mike

Watched the video, great stuff man. I'm contemplating a Novakon or the 770, I have always loved your videos and that was an awesome video to watch.

I thought your finish would be better on the sides, but seemed like the machine screamed in the corners on the finish pass. Still look good though.

How big your tumbler?

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    You know, it's interesting... At first I was excited that Tormach was developing an ATC. Now, with the power draw bar, I'm not sure how much it will help me. I usually don't mill unattended - and regardless of ATC or not, I try to minimize tool changes for obvious reasons. Plus, it sounds like the ATC will only hold ten tools. That means if any tools outside of the 10 in the ATC are used in a program, it sort of negates the convenience of the ATC.

On most jobs, I'll use a face mill, roughing end mill, spot drill, 1/8" EM, 1/4" EM, 3/8" EM, 1/8" drill, 1/4" drill, #3 or #7 and a tap. That's 10 right there. So if I have to pull an 11th tool from my tool table manually, it means less interruption with an ATC (e.g. most of the tool changes are still automated) but it's not 100%.

Right now, I've got a 60-tool tool table set up next to my mill (only half have TTS....). When used with the PDB, it's really not bad at all. For $2-$3k (guessing the cost of the ATC), I think I'd rather have more tooling. Or put it towards their CNC lathe

Here's a video I just posted on a part being made with multiple changes via the power draw bar: YouTube - Ch 17 - Milling a vise handle. Since this (like many) was a first-time part, I'm going to watch the part while it's being made anyways in case there are any problems (CAM errors, TTS collet slip, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by levelzero View Post
    Some of the tool holders on the tormach site now come set up for a tool changer.
    Some. The tool holder itself now has the groove. Can't remember how much they were before, but almost double now what I buy the regular from Maritool for. At least they are still selling the conversion kit for now

So we just recently purchases the tormach 1100 and we have a full size atrump cnc in the shop also, I have to tell you those new tts collets with the chamfer on the top are a whole lot nicer for making tooling changes with, now it sounds to me that tikka is making it way more difficult than it needs to be or just needs a bigger machine, I also run a few mori-seki machines at a local community college and never used more than 10 tools before the part needed to be re set in the vise for the next set of operations, the tool changer that tormach is creating would be a great addition to this little machine. I just got off the phone with tormach technical support and they said when the ATC comes out they will have an amnisty program setup for those who want or need to trade in the old collets (square bottomed) to they newer ATC friendly chamfered tts collet

Quote Originally Posted by Tarster View Post
    I just got off the phone with tormach technical support and they said when the ATC comes out they will have an amnisty program setup for those who want or need to trade in the old collets (square bottomed) to they newer ATC friendly chamfered tts collet
    If that ends up being the case, it will be one more thing of many that make me truly respect Tormach as a company. I'll understand if it doesn't happen, but if it does it will almost seal the deal for me getting the ATC.

I really wish they would produce a larger machine. I've been very happy with mine, and it's help up very well to the abuse I put it through. I just need a larger work envelope for my next machine. If it could be a Tormach product, I'd be very happy.