587,492 active members*
3,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

Hybrid View

Re: Chinese 2.2kw spindle burned out?

The motor was pretty hot when running but the aluminum blocks acted as a good heat sink. Warm to the touch. My wiring was hastily done, unshielded and wasn't sure on the proper guage, however the terminals on the drive are pretty small anyway. I usually run things for a while and go back to fix it properly once I've identified other bugs... I don't give a damn about code in this situation.

I think I'm screwed because that's what I sent to the manufacturer for warranty purposes.

What options might be next

Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit View Post
    The motor was pretty hot when running but the aluminum blocks acted as a good heat sink. Warm to the touch. My wiring was hastily done, unshielded and wasn't sure on the proper guage, however the terminals on the drive are pretty small anyway. I usually run things for a while and go back to fix it properly once I've identified other bugs... I don't give a damn about code in this situation.

I think I'm screwed because that's what I sent to the manufacturer for warranty purposes.

If you sent them a picture of that sorry, crappy wiring your screwed. But Mac is 100% correct you need to check the spec's of the spindle motor you buy
    and make sure your drive parameters are correct. He can help you on that, I can not. I do not install cheap Chinese VDF's.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

I don't give a damn about code in this situation.
    You got lucky that you where not touching your machine when it failed, or you could of been electrocuted, that is why they have electrical codes

There is no warranty with any of these spindles, in most cases they ask you to send it back which will cost you more than buying a new spindle

Buy a New Spindle, you VFD Drive may be damaged also
    Mactec54