588,548 active members*
5,440 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser engraver has problems skipping on its path.

I have recently purchased a used Camtech L10 laser engraver and when i first trained on it from the previous owner it was working fine with no problems.

Well once I had it transported to my shop (1,500 miles) and i installed it, I started having problems with it - specifically its travel on the y axis. I first noticed that at higher speeds it seems to bind along the y axis, which causes it to skip and the engraved image appears shifted midway.

I tried lowering the feed rate which temporarily solved the problem, but on the last job i did and at a lower feed rate the same problem started occurring. Whenever it travels along the y axis it sounds as if it is hitting something hard. Almost like a knocking sound.

I have rechecked the chain tension and rack & pinion adjustment and it was within factory specs.

If anybody has experienced a similar problem and solved it, or has suggestions I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Hello J MAC,

do you have a picture with your problem?
    Thanks
    Pierke

Hello Pierke,

Thanks for your reply. These are the best photos i could take. Please note the machine is not in operation during these photos, and the problem isn't visible - only the end result which is the shifted image. Take a look at the following photos please.

http://www.everlifememorials.com/v/p...ing-result.jpg
    http://www.everlifememorials.com/v/p...-axis-path.jpg
    http://www.everlifememorials.com/v/p...axis-motor.jpg
    http://www.everlifememorials.com/v/p...r/IMG_5821.jpg

Could the chain need replacing?

Hi,

First of all you've got to try to mark you chain and gear with a dot.
    Then you remove the chain, and move to Y axis a little bit. You must try to locate the abnormal noise wich you describe.
    If the problem still exists it's possible that one of the bearingsliders(?) is destroyed.
    Another opportunity is that there is a bolt wich came loose while transport and that it stands up a little bit and that it hit the head of the bolt.

Maybe you must try on a cheap material (MDF, ...) engraving the same image but on a different location and look/hear if the problem still exists

I hope that you could solve the problem.

regards

Pierke

Thanks Pierke, I'll try that.

Hello. Does the lasered picture seem to shift to the left or right as it is working? ie Are the straight left or right edges crooked?

JMac,
    For me, when the microstepper card dies, it just won't respond on a motor. I had similar issues on my waterjet and laser. If you have lead screws, don't oil them, they don't like dirt clinging to teflon surfaces. If you have belts, don't oil them either. If you have employees oiling and greasing everything, FIRE THEM! Overtension of a chain will mess it up. Greasing of round rails with roller bearings as the point of contact is also another reason to start firing employees.

Jon

Jon, somewhat O.T.

I find your post somewhat strange. Unless you had instructed them otherwise, it is difficult to see how you could justify firing an employee for taking care of your machinery i.e. keeping it lubricated. Indeed, what employee would defy direct orders from an employer if they had been clearly informed to the contrary?However, perhaps you were just making a point.

In this country, you would be sued for wrongful dismissal, if you followed this course without verbal and written warnings!

Quote Originally Posted by OldEngraver View Post
    I find your post somewhat strange. Unless you had instructed them otherwise, it is difficult to see how you could justify firing an employee for taking care of your machinery i.e. keeping it lubricated. Indeed, what employee would defy direct orders from an employer if they had been clearly informed to the contrary?However, perhaps you were just making a point.

In this country, you would be sued for wrongful dismissal, if you followed this course without verbal and written warnings!
    I know I'm over the top on this one. Just had a few less than wonderful memories of these problems when fixing another Cammtech machine that the old employees didn't maintain by reading the repair manuals. It is amazing to see parts that get greased that were spotless and grease free. The grease gun was meant for use on the grease zerks, not the entire machine. There was even grease on the electrical wires.

No one has been fired over the CNC machine repair. The certain someone lose his job when he showed up on drugs(admittedly) shaking and laughing maniacally after 4 days of being MIA.

Just a little bad humor from me overall. True stories stated in a manner that shows my overall confusion.

For JMac,
    Is the computer for your L10 newer or really old? Does it use the DOS Shell when engraving? I found that our laser computer would cause the problem when controlling the machine by spooling the job. The computer was too old, and when running it in engrave mode, line by line, it would have the shifting issue if the mouse got bumped or a screen saver turned on. Memory issues from the computer itself can do this often. It happens on our Cammtech router at times too. Upgrade the computer memory if you believe this could cause the issues. It is the cheapest band-aid available to get a machine running smoothly.