588,270 active members*
12,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Dmu 50v

Page 1 of 2 12

Dmu 50v

Hey Guys,

First post and begging for help already.

We just got a used DMU 50V 5-axis with a Heidenhain/Millplus V400 controller donated to us. Not sure at this point if it was a good or bad thing. LOL! =)

The boss and I have read the book that came with it and we are still lost.
    How do you load a program into this thing?
    We have a RS232 cable hooked up but it will not take any programs I send.
    We are using “Predator” to edit and send the program.
    The closest thing to getting any sign that the 50v is trying to receive a program is that we got a baud rate error on the 50’s screen.
    Other than that for all we know we might not even be in the right screen to receive a file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by me.

Background if you want to read:
    I work for Lick Observatory.
    Our machine shop is located in Santa Cruz, CA on the campus of UCSC
    We build telescope instruments for the Keck Observatory’s Twin telescopes on the Big Island of Hawaii (where I’m from) and for Lick Observatory in the bay area of California.
    We use Surfcam for our programming needs.
    Other CNC equipment: Millltronics 3-axis mill and a Mazak 24”x48” lathe

Smile dmu 50

Did you get it working? i have worked on a dmu 50 evolution with millplus control
    we used a program called cds lite that was giving to us by the service guy that set up the machine this program worked great.i might have a copy some where if your interested.

Tom C.

Thanks for the ZIP file of cds lite
    I will try it on Monday

If you wouldn't mind could you give me a step by step instruction on how to get to the correct screen in order to load a program?
    I believe this is half if not all our problem. The instruction book we got is horrible.
    Also what baud rate do you transfer with? 4800, 9600?

Thanks again

dmu 50

run cdslite.exe.Right click on the top windows bar go to settings all set up options are
    in there. It been 3 years since i have played with a maho so you just have to play with
    the settings, the machine has a user paramiter settings to.I do know that the cdslite
    was drag and drop. Sorry if i cant help anymore i am rustry.also read the readme file.
    Because you need a null modem cable.also read the help file.also you need a good post
    prosser, we used mastercam and a bought prosser from cimco it worked very well.
    you said you used surfcam i dont think its 5 axis compatible.if you need a good 5 axis guy
    let me know i have ran them for 4 years only problem is that i am in ny.i still can program
    5 axis.

Tom C.

So we did some testing and found the settings (baud rate and so on) we need to transfer the data.
    Now our problem is at the DMU50’s control.
    I don’t believe we are at the right location to receive a file from our desktop computer.
    I’m not even trying to load a large program.
    Really only trying to load 10 lines of code. Just trying to get it to accept the data.

BTW We had Surfware/Surfcam make us a post processor for the machine.
    Thanks for the offer of a referral.

Finally got a program loaded
    Thanks for the help
    We were able to use all the software we had already
    Just had to figure out setting on both ends and how to name files

Thanks! :cheers:

Dmu 50

Now that you have gotten your program loaded please try to use cdslite because
    you can do a lot with it. you can save all the system paramiters,tool offsets,work offsets
    and so on.I will be around hear if you need any more help just let me know.

Tom C.

Well today I loaded a program I made and ran it. Woo Hoo! All 5-axis were moving.
    No tool holder as they were ordered a week+ ago and no sign of them yet.

My next step is trying to figure out how to set the tool height.
    This will be a big learning process also I’m sure. Hope to get the idea of how to do it before the holders arrive.

The manual is of no help really.
    So far everything I’ve learned has been by trail and error. Problem with this machine is if you take 1 step anywhere it is at lease 3 steps back to get to 0 again. What a pain, makes you want to give up fast!

When I get more comfortable I will try cdslite for sure.

Thanks again for everything.

Do you have a heidenhain programming manual? heidenhain.com has them downloadable.

Someone might chime in here if a 5 axis machine reaquires different toolheight setting.

An example of "A" way to set tool height.

Load a [should be relatively short]tool into tool pocket 1
    set the tool length in the tool table to 0[zero]
    touch the tool off on the part, or table or whatever you deem is your reference zero.
    in manual mode, hit the orange z key, set datum to 0[zero]
    or there is a datum set soft key, same difference.

put a tool in any other pocket you please

call that tool, and touch it onto the same surface. DO NOT zero the machine.
    go into the tool table and set the length of that tool to the number shown on the z readout, for instance 1.567".

repeat for any other tools.

The mahcine will now recognize zero to be the surface you chose and all tools can be used referenced to the same point

5 axis might be difference because the length to the articulation point might matter

We have a Heidenhain/Millplus V400 controller
    I have been doing what you have suggested from late yesterday but as of now I am unable to save the info. This controller is strange.

We have a Milltronics Partner II and it is so easy to setup tool “Z” zero points. No need to plug in offsets, just touch the part, zero tool 1 and repeat for the rest.

Are you doing EXACTLY as I suggested or exactly as you would for the milltronics?

note you do NOT zero any tool but the first and you must enter the tool table to set all the other tool lengths

I am not familiar with the mill plus, only regular heidenhains, so there might be differences

Yes "zero" tool 1 and then try to enter the offset/difference between where T1 is at zero and where T2 would be at zero.

T1 L1"
    T2 L3" = offset of 2"

Sound right to you?
    But I cant get the machine to remember what I enter
    No store button or anything

you need to be in the tool table, download the manual, millplus is a different system

If you could point me in the right direction on where to find the manual for V400 of the millplus controller that would be great!
    The millplus website only goes down to 410
    In English would also be good

dmu-50

You need to find the pivet location of the table.it is in the notes in the machine in the back door of the machine control.once you find this you need to insert this number into your postprocesser.usally you set tool 1 to the top of your part and set all tools there after.the machine i used to run had a blum laser to set all tools which was a hell of a lot easer than not.the way it worked was that you set all your tools from the laser then take and trim the top of your part and set z0 after the tools were set.i will give you a program to check the laser for size.

Tomc

I know what the pivot height is.
    Where in the post-processor should this # be placed?

Dmu-50

mastercam maho post has a separate prm file with this number (6.100)in it.
    I really dont know where it would be in yours.

Been awhile but thought I should let you know what has happened.

So the “professional” that set the machine up had the axis set up wrong.
    The machine thought it was a horizontal mill.
    X was X
    Y would offset off the Z offset value
    Z would not offset

So we called the “professional” and he had us change a parameter.
    We then were able to crash the head into the tool changer. That was fun.
    I was simulating tool changes all day long before he had us change the parameter with no problems at all. Changed the parameter, homed all axis and then tried a tool change and crash!
    Then the next day he tells us to change the parameter back and put in a G17.
    And oh my, the Z would then recognize the offset value I put in.

I hope to be machining parts here really soon.
    Today someone is showing me how to do the tool offsets correctly.
    I think I understand how to do it but can’t hurt to be shown in person.

I noticed that all the tools reference off of the T0 (which is not a tool) not T1
    Weird but whatever

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
    I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions soon enough!
    Ooh and after having the machine for about 3 months + we finally got the RIGHT manual for it. We asked for this on day one of the delivery.

Thanks!

DMU 50v

Hey, guys:

I have been looking for a used 50v for a while, and if at some point in time you decide to get rid of the DMU, let me know.

did you get a probe with the machine if so setting is simple

Page 1 of 2 12