588,478 active members*
4,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Handling large parts

We machine some larger parts from time to time and I'm looking for a better way to flip the parts over between operations. By larger I mean 28" dia. 15-5 stainless forgings @1100lbs each. We turn one side and naturally have to flip the part over to machine the back side. The way we do it now involves a forklift, some wooden pallets, a little cursing...well, you get the picture. I need a better (pronounced safer) way to handle these parts. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation before?

:cheers:
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....

Do you have an overhead hoist? There are many techniques to "flip" parts with hoists. I didn't do it myself, but watched with due respect when our guys turned over parts as heavy as 375 TONS. You might want to find a local shop and see if they are willing to show you how they do it.
    DZASTR

mmmm
    and I thought that putting a 50 pound chuck in the lathe was difficult...

If you guys find the method, please share it. Seems to be interesting.

Everardo

Look into coil "upenders" - used in the converting and coil industry. Their design might give you a good idea for a home brew version.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlenterprises View Post
    We machine some larger parts from time to time and I'm looking for a better way to flip the parts over between operations. By larger I mean 28" dia. 15-5 stainless forgings @1100lbs each. We turn one side and naturally have to flip the part over to machine the back side. The way we do it now involves a forklift, some wooden pallets, a little cursing...well, you get the picture. I need a better (pronounced safer) way to handle these parts. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation before?

what if you were to take the part out of the machine (hoist, forklift, whatever) and set it on a large bearing or turn table. Then simply rotate and put back into machine.

One of the places I worked at many years ago did very big parts like what your talking about.

we had a hoist over one machine, used a forklift on others and for the ones that didnt have forklift access we used a modified cherry picker.

the key was using straps and the tail stock or even a modified tool holder to steady the part so it doesnt fall out of the sling.
    the hook was a swivel bearing hook( not sure the exact name) but a typical hook tht had a bearing in it so you can turn it 180º. we made out own, but I am sure you can buy them.

Delw
    putting parts in a full round set of pie jaws that big is not very easy and they are finger crushers ass well.

Would be easy to design a rotating or flipping device to be used with a forklift or overhead crane.
    A plate or sandwich box with a center trunnion to clamp the part onto sorta deal.
    Wait until you need to start flipping parts that are 4 ton
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I flipped parts as heavy as 20 tons and as large as a truck (part of a press for Audi). You need the right size crane for that of course. The weight and size doesn't really matter once you know where the center of gravity (approximately) is and how to use the crane(s) and chains/slings.
    Your parts don't seem too heavy so if you don't have a crane you can keep using the forklift. But I would use a couple of slings to gently roll them over! It's important to use the sling in the right way to avoid surprises.