588,043 active members*
4,141 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Spindle overheating ?

Spindle overheating ?

Have a 1992 VMC-40 Fadal that gave me an error 12 or 13 (I think) which was "spindle overload". Got up and felt spindle and it was pretty warm! I was running about 4 hrs yestrerday at rpms from 4000-8000.

When I first got the machine a couple months ago I noticed the fan motor was not bolted down and it was kinda hanging off the top of the spindle? (thought someone took off during move?) So I just bolted it back to the top. Do you think the spindle fan could be bad or fan motor? Does the chiller have anything to do with this spindle getting too hot? Do you think I caused any damage with it getting hot and then erroring out.

Thanks for any help

TMILLS

The spindle motor fan is strickly for the spindle motor and does little for the spindle itself. The chiller has a direct relation to spindle running temperature. It should normally run approx 85 to 95 degrees F.
    Worn spindle bearing will also help increase the spindle temp as well as cutting without coolant.

Neal

The Chiller cools off the spindle. If it's not working it may contribute to overheating. I pull the hose out (the one that pumps the Dowfrost) and make sure it has flow from time to time. Last time the Fadal technician was here he showed me that trick. Ours was not pumping and I ordered a new pump. The drive tang was broken off. It never caused the spindle to alarm out though.

Some guys on this site are more into repair than I am and may be able to describe this better than I have. I can take a picture if you need. Bottom line if the pump is not circulating the Dowfrost you need to address this issue.

Do you have a non-contact thermometer. See how warm the spindle gets. I'm sure someone here can tell you what temperature is too hot. Bearings may be going bad, they will heat up on you. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Good Luck,
    Don

Neal must have been typing at the same time I was. Chiller and spindle bearings seem to be likely causes.
    Still working in the "D".

Thanks for the replies guy's!

I will check it out better tonight when I get home.

I do not have a thermometer that can check the temp?

So do I pull off the tube to the chiller and see if there is flow?

Whats the best way to check if bearings are bad? or do you just replace them?

What is the fan up top of the spindle motor for if it doesn't do anything?

Thanks again!

TMILLS

Sorry guy's ....screwed up my original post question!!!!

"SPINDLE MOTOR" was hot!!!!NOT "spindle" itself.

That is why I am wondering if the fan is the problem...I do not see fan working at all!!!! Maybe previous owner took off fan motor so it could vent better. Fan is not working?

THANKS

tmills

Tmills--
    Check fuse F27, out of its clips, on the 1100-1 power distribution board. If fuse is good check voltage at TB2 terminal 10 to ground with the wire disconnected. If you have power on the terminal, then you have either a bad motor or cable to the motor.

Neal

Thanks again Guy's

.....NEAL would the fan (motor) not working create enough heat on the spindle motor to give me that error 12 or 13 ?

TMILLS--
    Error 12 and 13 are axes servo motor alarms not the spindle motor issue you are seeing. I highly doubt that the spindle motor overheating will cause an axis servo to fault.

Neal