587,372 active members*
2,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Spindle replacement, Haas dealer territory, and can't find our dealer

Spindle replacement, Haas dealer territory, and can't find our dealer

So a buddies VF-2 has been having some cutting problems so I checked the spindle bearings. Getting about .003" at the spindle with a 6" tool and hand pressure.

I look around at getting it rebuilt and finally realize Haas exchange is cheaper by $1000. The Haas website shows our dealer being 6 hours away in Ohio, but there is one half the distance in North Carolina so I call them. They say we are not in their territory and can't sell to us, so I call the one in Ohio. They say we are not in their territory either. So now I'm waiting for Haas factory sales to call back, just to find out where to get parts.

Now if I actually find out where to get the parts, I'll need to set push out distance and orient position for the ATC. How do I set orient position on these?

Another question. Will we end up with a better spindle having someone rebuild this one? I haven't had the best experiences with Haas and their spindles.

Okay, we have finally located the dealer.

What age is your machine?
    If its around 98 or newer then a parameter change will set your orientation.
    If it is older than 98 then it is a mechanical adjustment and more difficult to explain how to do.
    As for push out adjustment - if you are just replacing the spindle cartridge then the pushout value should not change. I've changed out many spindles before and have never adjusted the pushout afterwards.
    If you let me know age of machine i'll give you more in depth instructions on how to set orientation.
    Hope this helps

Thanks, the machine is an 04. There isn't a click/chunk noise so I'm pretty sure it is a oriented with the spindle drive motor.

My friend seems a little leery to spend the money. IMO .003" with hand pressure is pretty bad and will result in many dollars in broken/chipped cutters and fighting chatter.

clytle374

Make sure you use the Haas run in program for the new spindle

And every day before he start's cutting, run the Haas spindle warm up program, if they have not been doing this, it does make a difference as to how long the spindle will last

Check that the oil mist is working as well, this lubricates the spindle bearings
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Check that the oil mist is working as well, this lubricates the spindle bearings
    Can you tell us how to check that? The pressure gauge always reads the correct PSI (17 PSI) but how do we check that it's functioning properly?

extanker59

Disconect the out line/ or spindle feed line from were the regulator is, activate & put a paper towel in front of were you took the hose/line out, you should see the oil on the paper towel, & for the spindle, I have not tryed the paper towel under the spindle, but if the air is coming out of the spindle ok you should be good, If the machine has been standing for a day or more you will get some oil drops on the table, vice Etc this has come from the spindle
    Mactec54

Excellent! Thanks for the info mactec54
    I'll try it Monday before running any parts.

The paper gets a small amount of oil on it, but takes a good 30 seconds to accumulate.

Sound good enough?

Thanks

Anyone know the Haas test method for the checking the spindle? eg force and deflection.

This one tightens up quite a bit, if you can get it warm.