587,236 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Encoders

Lightbulb Encoders

:wave: Hey Guys and Gals
    I finally researched the encoders on back of my servo's and learned that they are 100 ppr quad. Reading the Gecko literature (thanks Mr. Gecko (Mauriss)), I think they recommend at least 300 ppr. My setup will use a 2:1 belt ratio and .2" pitch screws. Do I need to replace the encoders to work properly and if not, will my resolution be acceptable for hobby uses (yeah I know, what does that mean???)? Actually, I'm trying to get to .001 accuracy using zero backlash screws and the mill is a lathemaster. Any help is appreciated!
    billyjack :drowning:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by bill south
    :wave: Hey Guys and Gals...
    With that setup, a 100 ppr encoder will get you .00025 programmable resolution.
    Actual results will vary...

Resolution = .2 pitch lead screw / ( (100 ppr * 4 quad ) * 2 belt ratio)

An actual resolution of .001 should have a programmable resolution of 10 times smaller than its target, or .0001 . I could be wrong there. Something read somewhere...

So a 250 ppr encoder would be minimal for your target resolution according to that theory.

'---------------
    Where are the Gals at?

Red face

Thanks Wayne;
    Kinda what I thougth! Oh well, USDigital needs to make a liviing too!
    Thanks again.
    Me
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)