588,246 active members*
4,098 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Pewter

Pewter

I've just finished my first CNC router - courtesy of Mike Beck, based on the HobbyCNC plans. What I'd like to do next is make some custom "Magic the Gathering" life counters using my router. These are just two-inch diameter discs made of pewter. I've attached some examples - the ones I would make wouldn't include the "hand" with the orb in it, since I can't do "undercuts" using my 3-axis router (learning the lingo!

The existing Magic the Gathering life counters are cast. Since I don't have any casting experience, I'd like to go ahead and find some kind of "pewter" blank coin or pewter sheet and cut the counter using my router.

Is it even possible to cut pewter using a CNC router? Has anyone had any experience with this? Are there any suppliers of flat pewter sheets? I searched ebay and only found jewelry and narrow bars that are meant to be melted down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 72062[1].jpg   75067_G[1].jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by johnhamm
    narrow bars that are meant to be melted down.

YOU FOUND YOUR STOCK. PEWTER IS VERY SOFT AND MELT AT LOW TEMP. A PROPAIN TORCH WILL WORK. BEFORE CUTING THE PEWTER HAVE A BLANK OF LEAD. AS YOU CAN MELT TO THE SAME BASIC SHAPE, BEFORE CUTTING THE PEWTER AS THE COST IS LESS THAN 1/2 OF THE PRITTY STUFF