584,817 active members*
4,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Barcoding with SCM M100(Maestro) ?

Barcoding with SCM M100(Maestro) ?

Trying to reduce human translatio errors by using a barcode scanner on the SCM M100 and Maestro but their is little information on how to do it. Appreciate any help on implementing it as we spend almost as much time reading paperwork and double checking input.:tired:

I have some programs with as many as 35 parameters with the average human data input error of 1 in 300, theirs the potential average we could make a mistake every 9th time we run the machine.

Re: Barcoding with SCM M100(Maestro) ?

I have managed to get the BCR to work with Panel Mac. But it will only import PGM files. Is their a way to configure it to accept CSV files which will direct the machine to the correct PGMX file and insert the parameters?

Managed to get PGMX loaded via bar code reader. Have to add the following NCI file(located in Xilog Plus-CFG Folder) :-

$GEN_LOAD_BCR_TYPE
    CSV
    $

Still would like to know if its possible for the BCR to open a CSV file and open a PGMX overwriting the parameters from CSV?

Hi BigZ1,

Keen to know how you managed to get your barcode reader to work with Panelmac.
    Trying to do the same thing here but no need for the CSV file. N100.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by TheSD View Post
    Hi BigZ1,

Keen to know how you managed to get your barcode reader to work with Panelmac.
    Trying to do the same thing here but no need for the CSV file. N100.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards
    Stephen
    Hi Stephen.

I will dig something out when am back at work. Panelmac also comes with Xilog. i found the configuration for barcode documentation in Xilog folder.. You will also have to configure prefix and suffix characters on your bar code reader..

If you follow the instructions you will then be able to load PGMs.

To get PGMX you have to do the following step:-

Find and replace the following in NCI file(located in Xilog Plus-CFG Folder) :-

$GEN_LOAD_BCR_TYPE
    PGM
    $

to

$GEN_LOAD_BCR_TYPE
    PGMX
    $

My son has managed to get CSV's to work with a BCR by using AutoIT to emulate human input. From bar code it will load program enter variables from CSV and leaves the program open so we can assign areas manually and alter Z thickness(or any other variable if desired) as product has thickness variation..

Attached is the documentation for configuring the the Bar Code Reader.

You will have to configure the BCR rules to have a prefix=/ and a suffix=+

TEST bar code attached(use code 128)

Information in bar code:-

TEST AB R2 DX1000 DY500

BCR will pass information to CNC as:-

/TEST AB R2 DX1000 DY500+

TEST=Program name AB=Area R2=Number of repeats DX=Length DY=Width (you can add DZ for thickness). 55 characters are usually the max a BCR can handle.

I am using a USB Zebra bar code scanner it has to be configured for RS232. To do this scan the code attached after the suffix/prefix has been uploaded(test prefix and suffix work first in notepad as you cant test after using CDC barcode):-

https://www.zebra.com/us/en/support-...dc-driver.html

Hope this helps. Pity its so limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by bigz1 View Post
    Hi Stephen.

I will dig something out when am back at work. Panelmac also comes with Xilog. i found the configuration for barcode documentation in Xilog folder.. You will also have to configure prefix and suffix characters on your bar code reader..

If you follow the instructions you will then be able to load PGMs.

To get PGMX you have to do the following step:-

Find and replace the following in NCI file(located in Xilog Plus-CFG Folder) :-

$GEN_LOAD_BCR_TYPE
    PGM
    $

to

$GEN_LOAD_BCR_TYPE
    PGMX
    $

My son has managed to get CSV's to work with a BCR by using AutoIT to emulate human input. From bar code it will load program enter variables from CSV and leaves the program open so we can assign areas manually and alter Z thickness(or any other variable if desired) as product has thickness variation..
    Sorry made a mistake. Find this section of code in NCI file(make a copy of the NCI file first):-

{--- Gestione file di battute --- }
    $GEN_UNIFY_REF_BAR_FLAGS
    $

and insert this below it:-

$GEN_LOAD_BCR_TYPE
    PGMX
    $

Sorry made a mistake. Find this section of code in NCI file(make a copy of the NCI file first):-

{--- Gestione file di battute --- }
    $GEN_UNIFY_REF_BAR_FLAGS
    $

and insert this below it:-

$GEN_LOAD_BCR_TYPE
    PGMX
    $

Hi BigZ1. What an awesome reply. Many thanks indeed. I haven't had the time yet to implement it but as soon as I can I'll send you some feedback.
    It's a great day when the kids start teaching you IT skills. Thanks again.

hi there guys regarding your posts on here, i have managed to get the bar code reader working and loading in to my m100 but the problem is it automatically executes with no header or par sections being able to be changed, is there any way you guys no of stopping this ??

I had the same problem. I could not find a way around it using SCM BCR interface.

My son made me a program that bypasses the interface and emulates human input with AutoIT. It requires 2 scans:-

First scan starts the AutoIT program ( Basically a Hotkey)
    Second scan the barcode on product (CSV name)
    AutoIT then opens CSV
    AutoIT opens relevant program in Maestro and enters variables.
    AutoIT checks parameters match CSV/Program(error report generated if a problem)
    AutoIT shuts down(safety reasons(hence the reason to scan twice))
    Program is left open allows changes to Header, Area, Repeats, Parameters etc.

If you wish to know more give me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LUKESMITH92 View Post
    hi there guys regarding your posts on here, i have managed to get the bar code reader working and loading in to my m100 but the problem is it automatically executes with no header or par sections being able to be changed, is there any way you guys no of stopping this ??
    Try making a program called TEST and using the barcode called TEST in post #6. This will insert header information. Parameters on the other hand won't work.

I am trying to visualize what did you achieve, i cant completly get it, but I woderring why didnt you use simple text document instead of .csv with extention (xxl that you can load) in panel mac and made bar codede reader to place scaned thing in to make words: "SO /EXAMPLE.PGM DX=1000 DY=500 DZ=50 FLD=AB BX=0 BY=0 BZ=0 VAR1=300 VAR2=100 VAR3=600 VAR35=120 " where VAR1 is defined like PPAR VAR1=300 to VAR35 in parametric program EXAMPLE.PGM with header like dx0 dy0 , if you get me ? example.pgm programs needs to be placed in OPT folder in xilog plus.

Quote Originally Posted by kalap View Post
    I am trying to visualize what did you achieve, i cant completly get it, but I woderring why didnt you use simple text document instead of .csv with extention (xxl that you can load) in panel mac and made bar codede reader to place scaned thing in to make words: "SO /EXAMPLE.PGM DX=1000 DY=500 DZ=50 FLD=AB BX=0 BY=0 BZ=0 VAR1=300 VAR2=100 VAR3=600 VAR35=120 " where VAR1 is defined like PPAR VAR1=300 to VAR35 in parametric program EXAMPLE.PGM with header like dx0 dy0 , if you get me ? example.pgm programs needs to be placed in OPT folder in xilog plus.
    My firm manufactures performance doors(acoustic, fire etc.). My programs contain a lot of logic to ensure they are machined correctly(i.e. Hinge machining can be effected by Fire Rating etc.) Previously operators where entering parameters by hand from translating paperwork(introduces human error. Unfortunately both XXL and PGM.s when exported from Maestro loose their parametric functionality at machine.

The CSV(comma separated values) is common in barcoding(In fact Maestro can export production reports as CSV which can be opened in Excel). The CSV just contains the program location and the values required for each parameter. Hopefully the attachment help(changed extension to txt to upload).

Its seems to be an oversight on SCM's behalf as it is used by other CNC manufactures(perhaps their relying on us all to use AlphaCam?) I was quoted by SCM an additional 6k euros for the next machine to read CSV's via BCR.
    Attached Files Attached Files

When you load pgmx to panel mac , parameters are not completly lost , you are still able to fill in the parameters manualy, but yes once is loaded they are backed in to the program. there is couple of solutions that you can use, you can eather translete your macro to pgm and having you macro inported in pgm called by customer id that is loadable by BCR, and than inside in programthere is your parameters with subprogram line that can handle i think 128 paramenters, or you can use . mix to load lots of parameters and have one program in mix file, but as i know .mix files are not loadable by BCR. ther is couple of solution that could make you life easier. write me on xilogpost(at)gmail(dot)com and i give you my personal number. i will help you out.

- - - Updated - - -

My firm manufactures performance doors(acoustic, fire etc.). My programs contain a lot of logic to ensure they are machined correctly(i.e. Hinge machining can be effected by Fire Rating etc.) Previously operators where entering parameters by hand from translating paperwork(introduces human error. Unfortunately both XXL and PGM.s when exported from Maestro loose their parametric functionality at machine.

The CSV(comma separated values) is common in barcoding(In fact Maestro can export production reports as CSV which can be opened in Excel). The CSV just contains the program location and the values required for each parameter. Hopefully the attachment help(changed extension to txt to upload).

Its seems to be an oversight on SCM's behalf as it is used by other CNC manufactures(perhaps their relying on us all to use AlphaCam?) I was quoted by SCM an additional 6k euros for the next machine to read CSV's via BCR.

When you load pgmx to panel mac , parameters are not completly lost , you are still able to fill in the parameters manualy, but yes once is loaded they are backed in to the program. there is couple of solutions that you can use, you can eather translete your macro to pgm and having you macro inported in pgm called by customer id that is loadable by BCR, and than inside in programthere is your parameters with subprogram line that can handle i think 128 paramenters, or you can use . mix to load lots of parameters and have one program in mix file, but as i know .mix files are not loadable by BCR. ther is couple of solution that could make you life easier. write me on xilogpost(at)gmail(dot)com and i give you my personal number. i will help you out.

The CSV(comma separated values) is common in barcoding(In fact Maestro can export production reports as CSV which can be opened in Excel). The CSV just contains the program location and the values required for each parameter. Hopefully the attachment help(changed extension to txt to upload). https://www.solution2pass.com/AZ-900-questions.html