587,192 active members*
2,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Retrofit Fanuc Machine with LinuxCNC?

I have a milling machine that has a Fanuc OMA control system installed. This machine was manufactured in 1988. The mechanical workings of the machine are good. I have ran into an issue with the main Fanuc board such that I cannot transfer data into the machine from the PC. I have investigated this issue in another thread and it has been determined that I need to replace the Fanuc board. These boards go for ~$750.00 on ebay for the same board that is approx 20-25 years old.

I am considering retrofitting the machine with LinuxCNC and using the PicoSystems Universal PWM Servo Controller and there AC servo drives. I also plan on removing the rotary phase converter that I have for the machine in favor of VFDs for the spindle motor and the coolant pump motor. I think I can do this retrofit for around ~$1200.00.

My question is what are the advantages and disadvantages of the retrofit vs buying the used replacement Fanuc board.

Re: Retrofit Fanuc Machine with LinuxCNC?

Nitro,
    Good question. I have the same questions you have. I have a FANUC O-TC that will, one day, eventually die. Now here in Australia there are not many repairers in the country so one of our options is to send the part overseas for repair. This is VERY expensive. Currently I have spares to keep me going but it is very easy to purchase parts on E-bay without knowing if they even work. pretty risky. For the price of some FANUC parts (even 25 year old parts) you really could afford a complete retrofit.

Then, one day the parts will run out and i'll be forced to retrofit.

In my view when the time comes, "I" will be doing the retrofit so I will know the in's and out's of every part of the retrofit. I will not need OEM parts and I will not be forced into being a slave to the massive prices they put on simple components. I will have the flexibility of putting what ever I want in the machine to make it run.

Shortly I will be retrofitting a Machining center to LinuxCNC. I love knowing that LinuxCNC is overflowing with FREE tech support 24/7. It does everything I need at a fantastic price....... Oh FREE again. I can mix and match different brands of thing which means shopping around for the best price.

I would however like to see LinuxCNC with a solid industrial look, eg no mouse or touch screen. Machines need buttons, dials and hardy controls. It's probably already there but I just haven't seen it yet.

Thats my two cents,

Kind Regards,
    Chich

chich,

So far the only advantage I see to keeping the Fanuc controls is the ability to get the machine working quicker. I see many more advantages to the retrofit and I think that I will go that way. I am working with Jon at Pico Systems to check out the compatibility of my motors with his servo drivers and once that test completes favorably I will be ordering parts for the retrofit.

I hope your lathe keeps working well with the Fanuc controls but when it does need to be retrofitted let me know and I will give you the ins and outs of my retrofit. I may post the process on a new thread here.

I like the touch screen interfaces that I am seeing with LinuxCNC. It appears to have most of the features that I will want. It is nice to have the keypads for mdi and some hard buttons for key features on the controller but overall I think I will be happy with the touch screen interface. I am currently using keyboard and mouse with my Mach3 Router. I don't really like that setup.

Thanks for replying,

Nitro

Hi i have Done this on an bridgeport 412 1998 go for it ...

I also forgot to mention that you'll be amazed at what price people will pay you for your old FANUC O-MA. Dollars to easily cover your retrofit.

Chich

Chich

That is a good point and I do intend on selling all of the working components that will not be reused in the retrofit. I think that I will come out about even after it is all said and done. If not I should come out at less than the cost of the 25 year old OMA replacement board.

I really see no drawback except for time. It is a hobby machine for me so I have nothing but time. I also like the challenge of doing the retrofit and making it as professional as possible.

If you search in the Zone for my thread There Are some pics of my Button attemp s ...