586,740 active members*
2,553 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234
    If you don't mind me asking-
    How well did Online Metals ship your CRS? I've heard some good things and bad things about them, so an actual testimonial would help me quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseduck View Post
    If you don't mind me asking-
    How well did Online Metals ship your CRS? I've heard some good things and bad things about them, so an actual testimonial would help me quite a bit.
    The 4 times I have ordered from them it has come in a heavy cardboard tube, with all pieces saran wrapped together, but free to bounce around the free length of the tube.
    Never had any damage on a shipment. and the tubes come in handy for storage later.

My 4 peices of CRS arrived in perfect condition... wrapped and protected very well in a large cardboard tube....
    and the freight price was fair ($150.00) to my driveway.

The steel itself was a bit beat up...not too bad..It was very straight though..but I used 220 grit discs on my random orbit sander and went over all 4 sides after it was cleaned of grime..and this smoothed it up where the carriages ran smoothly..if not you will feel (and hear) every imperfection, kind of like a train running down a track..click click click....

Dale

Thanks for the info. Good luck with your build!

Finally have all of my (60) 3/8" holes drilled in the CRS...I made a simple jig to center the drill bit and screwed a 8' 2x4 to my drill press table,,,and then slid the CRS into position and centered it up and used the jig to drill spot on center...worked perfect!!..

I then used a countersink to clean up the holes and cleaned the steel with a alcohol based solvent..then lightly sanded to smooth up all 4 surfaces with 220 grit and a random orbit sander....wiped all down again till no dirt showed and then masked the edges and primed and painted the steel on both sides....

Here are a few pix of the Z axis and spindle...I am going to paint the X axis steel tomorrow and then start assembling everything....
    I have since turned the Z motor 180 to place the cord at the back..

I want to make my support table like the one built by Dirktheeng ....3/4" plywood with aluminum angle brackets to support the side rails evenly....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003.JPG   004.JPG   001.JPG   008.JPG  

011.JPG   021.JPG   151.jpg   152.jpg  

Finished painting the steel rails (both sides) ...turned out fine....ready to mount to aluminum extrusions...

All that is left is to build the table to mount everything onto.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 010.JPG   016.JPG   014.JPG  

Hey Beachcnc,

Been following your build, but what happened to all the pictures they all have a little square box with a red X in them.

Chuck

Have the frame finished...drilled a few access holes into the sides of the main rails so a hex wrench can tighten the button head screws that fit into the tapped holes in the ends of the cross members..this pulls the side rails tight to the cross members...I only did this to the first and last extrusions

Here are a few more pix..

FINALLY have everything together...mounted the CRS rails to the frame and have everything lined up ..set the gantry onto the carriages and got everything squared....she moves VERY smooth and easy, I am amazed how everything fit together...

Now I HAVE to build a table to mount this machine on...I raised it up on wood blocks and attached the motors and belt reduction and also attached the steel gear racks to the sides of the extrusions with stainless cap screws...fit perfect..

Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 006.JPG   018.JPG   035.JPG  

Looks great!

Looks nice! You should be able to get it dirty soon.

Sweet build!
    http://youtu.be/9dTS1A2F4j8

OK...working on installing legs onto frame today...have my home prox. switches installed and auto squaring the gantry..also have all the settings in Mach3 set up including soft limits....have been running at 1000 IPM back and forth on both X , Y and Z ...runs perfect!!

I added springs onto the body of the prox. switches to protect from damage...will also add limits later on.

The last piece of cable chain for the Y axis will be here today..I have brackets and supports for the X and Y cable chain made and ready to install...

Need to install the spoil board and wire my shop for 220 so I can get cutting...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails table 026.jpg  

Finally started on the base....attached legs..working on reinforcing and supporting the frame...needs to be very stiff..the heavy gantry will move the frame around when it accelerate and decelerates...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 167.JPG   166.JPG  

What's going to keep your prox sensors from vibrating out of position? Not sure if its possible but I would add jam nuts on both sides or loctite the nuts in place.

very nice progress.. Loook like you completed your machine within three days after Reading the three pages of your thread on CNCZONE
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Here are a few more pictures.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 087.JPG   089.JPG   092.JPG  

And a few more...added the VFD case by the main control box...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails table 050.jpg   table 051.jpg   table 052.jpg   table 053.jpg  

All I need to do is add my spoil board...and hook up 220 and I am ready to cut...

Have the VFD hooked up and running....made a few test cuts...works perfect!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN4004.JPG   DSCN4005.JPG   DSCN4003.JPG  

Page 2 of 4 1234