587,119 active members*
3,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach motion drive compatibility

I'm considering buying the Mach motion software to run a 3 axis mill but I want to make sure I have the physical connections straight before the purchase.
    From reading and watching the tutorial, it appears to me that Mach controls the drive with potentially 3 pins on the parallel port. One 5 volt enabling the drive, one for direction, and one for step. So in order to insure compatibility, I should probe to find a 5 volt constant imput from my old pc control to the drive enabling it and two other inputs that change with step and direction. Is this assumption accurate?
    So far, I have found one connection that varies from +5 volts to - 5 volts controlling the jog direction and speed. Should I probe for more inputs to match the pinout connections in the tutorial?

The best way for you is to buy a breakout board and thats it, has all inputs and outputs labeled and is opto isolated so you don't kill the PC port.
    http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/inde...3eb337a60a8509

the C1G board will be the best buy for you or if yo need more options the C11G.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by KGD View Post
    I'm considering buying the Mach motion software to run a 3 axis mill but I want to make sure I have the physical connections straight before the purchase.
    From reading and watching the tutorial, it appears to me that Mach controls the drive with potentially 3 pins on the parallel port. One 5 volt enabling the drive, one for direction, and one for step. So in order to insure compatibility, I should probe to find a 5 volt constant imput from my old pc control to the drive enabling it and two other inputs that change with step and direction. Is this assumption accurate?
    So far, I have found one connection that varies from +5 volts to - 5 volts controlling the jog direction and speed. Should I probe for more inputs to match the pinout connections in the tutorial?
    First of all what 3AXIS machine are you referring to. The answer to your question could have any number of Very different answers.

archie =) =) =)