587,256 active members*
2,887 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > Hypertherm new product announcement!
Page 1 of 2 12

Hypertherm new product announcement!

Everyone has been asking me for almost a year now....What's coming out of Hypertherm next? While it is always tough to keep my mouth shut in regards to new product development....I think I did a good job holding everone at bay. As of yesterday....we are free to talk about two new Powermax plasma cutting systems....these units will be available by September 20th - and I suspect will be difficult to get for the first few months of production. I say that in advance, typical issues with a new product rollout as many welding supply distributors are purchasing these units and the inventory is spread kind of thin! here is a link to the product announcement for the new Powermax65 and Powermax85.....both totally new systems (torches and power supplies) with great new technology and performance, and over 2 years of reliability lab testing. These units will ultimately relace both the Powermax1000 and Powermax1250, both of which will continue to be produced while supplies last....and will be supported for many years to come.
    https://www.hypertherm.com/happening/HO_9328_SHOW2.pdf

Jim Colt

Hi Jim,

The Powermax 65 and 85 look like nice machines. Has Hypertherm released the list prices for these new models? I have been reading your posts about the cut quality of the Powermax 45 you have with the conical flow torch design.

According to the link the new 65 and 85 machines will share the same conical flow torch design that the Powermax 45 uses. Will there be a conical flow retrofit machine torch offered for the Powermax 1000 and 1250 machines?

Thanks,

Magma-joe

There are no current plans to upgrade the Powermax1000 or 1250 torches. I suspect that that may happen in a few years at best.

We do have suggested list pricing for the new Powermax65 and Powermax85....there are a few hundred different configurations, so I woiuld need to know lead lengths, machine or hand torch, cnc interface requirements, etc to suggest a price. Pricing is similar to the 1000 and 1250, although it looks like these new units may have a lower comparative price when equipped with a machine torch.....due to the different available torch options.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I will be looking at the Powermax 85 with long barrel torch in a 25' length with a hand clamp. It will be used on a Dynatorch CNC. I currently have a 1250 series that I plan to either sell or add a hand torch to and use for general shop plasma cutting.

Does the new conical flow torch also use fine cut consumables for thin material?

Magma-joe

Magma-joe,

I don't have a price list with all configurations yet.....but by piecing together the components that you want it looks like the suggested list price will be around $4200 for the Powermax85 with cnc interface and a 25' long barrel machine torch. Distributors will have more detailed pricing in the next few weeks. Looks like it will be a bit less expensive as compared to a similarly equipped Powermax1250......and dealers have the right to sell the units at the price and margins that suit them.

Yes, there will be FineCut consumables avaialble as well as 45, 65 and 85 amp conical flow consumables. If the 45 conical flow consumables work as well as the Powermax45 consumables....then I personally see no use for the FineCuts......I'll find out as soon as I test drive a system.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I will be looking forward to hearing about your fine cut consumables test.

Is the conical flow torch technology for the new Powerman 65 and 85 the same as used in the Hydef machines , such as the HPR 260?

Thanks,

Magma-joe

No, except for the fact that it allows for higher energy density as compared to other air plasma systems.

The HPR130, 260 , 400 and 800 systems use oxygen for cutting steel and use a Hypertherm patented "vented" nozzle. The HPR nozzles are manufactured in two pieces, then are pressed together....inside the nozzle is an inner and an outer orifice. The gas is ionized inside the torch, the arc passes through the first orifice, where it is shaped, and its density increases, then excess pressure is vented (hence the name) to atmosphere....then the arc passes through the secondary (smaller diameter) orifice to raise the energy density to about 60,000 amps per square inch. This allows for a very high energy density arc, and allows for the best nozzle and electrode life in the industry. Our competitors that claim to also have "high definition" cutting technology do not have our vented nozzle technology.....these systems cut very well with a new nozzle, but suffer from shorter consumable life and deterioration in cut quality as the single nozzle orifice erodes.
    This vented technology requires rapid changes in gas flow and pressure as well as very accurate gas and electrical power delivery....read expensive!

The Powermax units with conical flow use the secondary (shield) air flow in conjunction with a cleverly designed nozzle/shield to squeeze the arc after it leaves the orifice.....the energy density is in the range of 15,000 amps per square inch, far superior to other air plasma systems, but not quite the 60,000 that the high definition process can achieve.

A higher energy density arc can be achieved with a simple plasma torch nozzle by simply putting the same amount of energy through a smaller nozzle orifice......the end result is a couple of feet (or maybe inches) of excellent cut quality....then the nozzle orifice gets damaged...and cut quality is not so good after that. Kind of like using a 40 amp nozzle at 60 or 80 amps!

Our engineering is focused on continuously improving consumable life while at the same time not taking any steps backward on cut quality. We patent the technology as it is developed - to protect our investment....as many of these technologies are relatively easy to copy once the design work is done!

Jim Colt

Jim,

What are the voltage inputs and amp draw on these new beasts?

The 85 looks comparable (mechanized pierce) to the 1650.

WSS

The new Powermax65 operates on 200 to 480 volts single phase, and 200 to 600 volts 3 phase. Current draw is different at different input voltages, however at 240 volts single phase, max input current is 44 Amps.

The Powermax85 will operate on the same range of voltages, and maximum current draw when connected to 240 volts single phase is 58 Amps.

The specs for cutting speeds and thicknesses with the 85 are very close to the 100 Amp Powermax1650.

Jim

Jim, it's a shame there won't be a torch upgrade for the 1250, I've recently bought a used 1250 to upgrade my cnc table but I need to buy a machine torch separately, so I'm looking at spending quite a chunk of money on a new torch that is already outdated! You'd think it'd be a sound (and customer-friendly) policy to make the new torches fit the legacy power sources... is the connection physically different?

I suspect there will eventually be a torch upgrade. Hypertherm will not just plug on a torch (other companies do this), rather, we will subject the new style torches to the same testing that we do when a new torch and system are designed together.....that means cut quality tests, consumable life tests, reliability lab tests. Typically to properly test all facets of a new torch on a Power supply that it wasn't designed with.....I would estimate about 18 to 24 months time. There is no current project plan to do this...as our process engineering group are busy with other projects.

The torch connections are different, the gas and current up ramp and down ramps are different, the air flow rate/pressure is different. Changing the torch to achieve the benefits of the new Powermax65/85 torch will also require power supply changes if it were to be used on the 1250.

There is nothing wrong with the Powermax1250 system and torch....it is, and will continue to be one of the best plasma systems in the field.....for many more years.

Jim

Jim, sometimes you answer questions on these forums in less time than it would take to pick up the phone and call my local dealer! (and it's 2.30am here, so my dealer probably wouldn't pick up...)

I guess I'll just have to order the r80m torch. Are the new torches considerably better in cut quality, or is it more to do with consumable life?

I meant T80M torch, of course. Like I said, it's nearly 3am...

When you think about it....in North America anyway, Hypertherm has the major market share of plasma systems. When we develop new products.....our biggest competitor in the field are our own products. It is our goal and mission to ensure that we develop the product that "one ups" our own products in the field before one of our competitors do...otherwise we would lose some of our market share. It is an interesting situation for sure!

So....in the case of new products such as the new Powermax65 and 85.....the biggest competition is the very successful Powermax1000 and Powermax1250. Our design specs were to insure that every facet of performance (cut quality, cut speed, consumable life, ease of use) improved with these new products. Further, every new product introduction must have higher reliability (lower warranty costs, better up time), better safety features, higher duty cycle and lighter weight.

This is why our development cycles for new products take as long as 2-1/2 years....the development in our company is not driven by the sales force being eager to get their hands on shiny new product to sell, but on the design team eager to improve on our own products in the field in every way possible, yet staying within a reasonable price range as determined by the market. One of the natural results of an employee owned and run company!

So...to answer the question.....yes, the new 65 and 85 Powermax torches have faster cut speeds, better cut quality, longer consumable life. It is not just the torch that achievs this better performance, it is the torch/power supply design that has to work together.

Jim

Today I did start to wonder whether I'd made a bad decision going for the used 1250 and shelling out for a new machine torch when I realised I could buy a new 45 with machine torch for not much more...

But the reason I went for the 1250 was so I could get rid of my MAX100 and the Powermax800 and just have one machine (I was keeping the MAX100 for thicker material, but it's huge, so I'll save a lot of space, whilst still being ok to cut thicker stuff when necessary.) And the hand torch will come in handy too for chopping up heavy lumps, so it'll be a more versatile package for me.

It sounds like the new machines/torches give you Finecut-type results with ordinary consumables throughout their thickness range. I've just ordered the T80M torch and a Finecut kit, so hopefully I won't be far off the quality of the new units for most of my work.

Once again, thanks for the help, Jim!

Hi, i have just regestered on the forum after a search on google.
    I have been after a plasma cutter for ages, have used Hypertherm in the past so would prefer them, i have a question. I live in the uk, i see the 65 can be used on single phase ? i understand the amp side of it ie if you want to cut thick metal you need the amps. So without sounding thick, can the 65 be used on single phase 240v or three phase 415v without being rewired ? I do have access to three phase and would like to be able to cut thicker metal if needed but the main would be thinner on single phase. Thanks alot Ian

Ian,

The European CE certified version of the Powermax65 is designed to operate on 3 phase input current only. The North American version of the Powermax 65 which is CSA certified...will operate on any input voltage between 200 and 600 volts, single or three phase...without any internal re-linking.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    Hi, i have just regestered on the forum after a search on google.
    I have been after a plasma cutter for ages, have used Hypertherm in the past so would prefer them, i have a question. I live in the uk, i see the 65 can be used on single phase ? i understand the amp side of it ie if you want to cut thick metal you need the amps. So without sounding thick, can the 65 be used on single phase 240v or three phase 415v without being rewired ? I do have access to three phase and would like to be able to cut thicker metal if needed but the main would be thinner on single phase. Thanks alot Ian

Yes it does, thanks very much for a quick reply, wonder if i can get one imported?:idea:

The problem with importing a unit that is designed to meet the electrical safety specs in another region of the world....is that you will not get warranty and parts support locally. If something happened to the system you would have to deal with the company that exported it to you.....which could mean long down times, high shipping costs...etc. I cannot recommend doing this!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The problem with importing a unit that is designed to meet the electrical safety specs in another region of the world....is that you will not get warranty and parts support locally. If something happened to the system you would have to deal with the company that exported it to you.....which could mean long down times, high shipping costs...etc. I cannot recommend doing this!

Jim
    Yes i see what you are saying, prob not wise then, i have just been offered a used but not much, Hypertherm 30 shipped for £500, which seems not a bad price. I might go for that then get a bigger one as well later. Thanks again for you info/help. Ian.

Page 1 of 2 12