587,828 active members*
2,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

KSI Swiss Machines ???

I have been reading and watching this forum for awhile.
    I am out looking for my first CNC swiss machine. I am looking in the used market. I have seen a couple KSI 32mm machines come up for sale. Does anyone have any experience with KSI? Just wanted to find out any more information before pursuing KSI machines any further.

Thanks, Chris

Not to step on anybodies toes, because I surely don't know about the small companies like KSI, Diamond, etc., but I think you would be far better off technical support wise by buying a used Citizen, Tsugami, Star, or Tornos. Especially if it is going to be your first swiss and you are buying it used. Parts for most will be readily available. But it's the helping hand for programming, parameters, and troubleshooting that will make all the difference in getting parts up and running or paying for a large boat anchor because you don't know how to use it!

Good luck in your decision.

Mike

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    Not to step on anybodies toes, because I surely don't know about the small companies like KSI, Diamond, etc., but I think you would be far better off technical support wise by buying a used Citizen, Tsugami, Star, or Tornos. Especially if it is going to be your first swiss and you are buying it used. Parts for most will be readily available. But it's the helping hand for programming, parameters, and troubleshooting that will make all the difference in getting parts up and running or paying for a large boat anchor because you don't know how to use it!

Good luck in your decision.

Mike
    That is very sound advice
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.

Thank you for the responses. Cost is a big concern as I can not afford a late model used citizen, tsugami, or star in a 32 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by eTekTool View Post
    Thank you for the responses. Cost is a big concern as I can not afford a late model used citizen, tsugami, or star in a 32 mm.
    I would wait until you could afford one. When you're buying used, support is the most important thing to consider.

If I was in your shoes, I would be looking for a Tsugami BS32. The BS platform was one of their highest selling platforms. REM Sales (CT) and Tsugami (Japan) still have replacement parts.

Also, when you call REM Sales for support, they are not going to ask for your credit card just for phone support. And also, their staff have a lot of experience with the BS models.

The risk of buying used is already a huge concern, then add to that, the risk of buying from one of the smaller builders.

my .02

Quote Originally Posted by DCogswell View Post
    I would wait until you could afford one. When you're buying used, support is the most important thing to consider.

If I was in your shoes, I would be looking for a Tsugami BS32. The BS platform was one of their highest selling platforms. REM Sales (CT) and Tsugami (Japan) still have replacement parts.

Also, when you call REM Sales for support, they are not going to ask for your credit card just for phone support. And also, their staff have a lot of experience with the BS models.

The risk of buying used is already a huge concern, then add to that, the risk of buying from one of the smaller builders.

my .02
    I couldn't agree more! My experience was not with Tsugami, but with Citizen. Same deal. Excellent support. Parts for our 1993 E32 are still available, albeit pricey, as with any machine tool you purchase.

As to price, I am not sure what you are looking at with the KSI machines, but we gave just shy of $30K for our E32 last November. That included an FMB Mini Turbo S magazine bar loader, freight, rigging, transformer, a 55 gallon drum of Blaser's Vascomill 22, and a sump full of tooling for the machine. Yes, I said sump full. The sump on the machine was filled to the top from end to end with both, static and live tool holders, and collets and guide bushings for the machine.

I talked to someone else shortly after we purchased that one that knew where there were 2 more machines identical to ours for $30K a piece asking. I realize they are not 4 or 5 year old machines, but holy cow, what a piece of equipment!

As stated above, service and support far out weighs the difference in price. As I mentioned in my last post, they will mean the difference between making parts successfully or paying for a boat anchor that you don't know how to operate or get running.

Good luck to you, no matter what path you choose!

Mike

in my opinion, to buy an affordable machine is also important to people who has a tight string. some small companies also focus on their after service and try to do their best. they just didn't get so long a history!