587,306 active members*
3,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Rigid tap

Rigid tap

I have a TL-2 with no rigid tap option... I was thinking of turning the free trial on but then I had a question... How does the rigid tap reverse with that 10" chuck?... I use rigid taps on my miils but they don't have an 80lb chuck to reverse/slow down? What about high speeds, hows it look?

Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    I have a TL-2 with no rigid tap option... I was thinking of turning the free trial on but then I had a question... How does the rigid tap reverse with that 10" chuck?... I use rigid taps on my miils but they don't have an 80lb chuck to reverse/slow down? What about high speeds, hows it look?
    We rigid tap on a Big Bore HL with a chuck bigger than that no problem.

Rigid Tap synching is Feed to Spindle rpm so it just follows whatever the spindle does. All the heavy chuck does is make the spindle respond slower.

Regarding high speed what is high? I normally tap at 1000 rpm but on the big machine it never actually reaches that before it reverses.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

This brings up something I have been wondering. I have a TL-1 and I tap all the time using the conversational programming. I couldn't notice any difference in performance with the rigid tapping try-before-you-buy option turned on or off.
    Which brings up the point of since they offer it in the conversational portion isn't the option/function/ability already turned on??

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN View Post
    This brings up something I have been wondering. I have a TL-1 and I tap all the time using the conversational programming. I couldn't notice any difference in performance with the rigid tapping try-before-you-buy option turned on or off.
    Which brings up the point of since they offer it in the conversational portion isn't the option/function/ability already turned on??
    Rigid tapping is OFF on a standard TL1 with no options. Does your Rigid Tapping parameter have a 1 or a 0?

As an "option" it is off (0). But like I said "tapping" is in the conversational programming and I have always just used that for my tapping. I experimented one day turning the option on and off and I couldn't see any difference.

The conversational program is an option that is included with the TL2... The rigid tap must be an integral part of the option? I never use the conversational but now I will... Thanks for the tip, I never even looked at it...

Geof, what are your thoughts on this?? In conversational it puts out a G84 to MDI.
    So I guess my question would be: Does G84 require rigid tapping to work "properly"?

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN View Post
    Geof, what are your thoughts on this?? In conversational it puts out a G84 to MDI.
    So I guess my question would be: Does G84 require rigid tapping to work "properly"?
    My understanding is that G84 does not 'require' Rigid Tapping.

As far as I know all Rigid Tapping means is that the spindle rpm and Z feed are so tightly controlled the feed tracks the speed perfectly enough that a spring mounted tapping holder is not needed. Without this tight tracking when the spindle reverses they can get a bit out of synch but that is accommodated by the holder moving on the springs.

I discovered, by wrecking a few parts, that when you want to peck tap you have to turn on the REPEAT RIGID TAPPING so the machine remembers the precise start position and can go back to it.