587,086 active members*
2,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Anyone Cutting Carpet of Vinyl Tile?

Anyone Cutting Carpet of Vinyl Tile?

This may be a strange question, but anyone cutting low pile carpeting or vinyl tile?

We're shopbot users, and would like to know if anyone is using a router to cut carpeting or tile.

I can imagine a couple of potential disasters with both - melting fibers, melting/shattering vinyl...

If possible, any recommended cutters?

Thanks!

Matt

Matt I don't think the vinyl would be much of a problem, but the carpet is probably gonna wind up on the bit and make things very dangerous very fast. I may be wrong but that is what I think would happen anyway.

turmite
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

What about a drag knife, like what would be used for Vinyl signs?

Basically it's a razor-sharp knife mounted vertically in a swiveling mount -- the g-code has to take that into account, and compensate for the offset, but it's a feature present in some of the packages. Another implementation is an "Olfa" rotary cutter in a frame that can be handled by a CNC cutter...not difficult to homebrew.

I don't see any major problems for you. In fact, there is a tool in leatherworking called a "swivel knife" which I've considered implementing as a cutter head. I think it'd work pretty well.

Look up the specs on vinyl cutting machines, and you'll find all the information you need.

www.carlsondesign.com has some pictures that should prove helpful. Scroll about 1/4 of the way down.

-- Chuck Knight

I do desperate, stupid things too but you must really be desperate for some work! I'm a machininst, not a router guy so bear with me. I guess you're cutting the carpet upside down? Maybe a "presser foot" (like a sewing machine) can hold the carpet down. I hope you know a water jet is the way to go and a laser might work as well.