587,459 active members*
3,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Setting up emulated keys for Z Jog

Trying to set up my Z axis (Oxy/Fuel) to be able to jog torch up/down from the keyboard while cutting.

I am running Mach3 & Stepper PlazPack 1A from CandCNC. however it is an earlier version (2006-07) & has the MP1000 thc in the system.

I contacted Tom on the Yahoo site & below is the reply:

"You will need to either setup keyboard emulation for the THC UP and THC DOWN inputs or use a couple of switches and spare inputs and setup a profile so those inputs are mapped to the THC UP and DOWN. Normally the THC itself uses specific port and pin inputs. Our later Table I/O cards and MP1000C and later has parallel UP and DOWN inputs out on the Table I/O to hook up an external UP and DOWN manual switch to."

My table IO card is an older version.

"You need to open the Milling Tab (I know, it's not logical) and check the box in the lower left that says "Allow THC Up and DOWN even when THC is off" (or something like that). Don't check anything else in the section.
    If you map the U and D keys in the Emulated part of the Ports and Pins it will be the same as external buttons.
    You leave the THC button off in MACH and just run the Z manually."

I have followed these instruction but still don't have jog control while running.

I'm sure I just don't have something checked or don't understand what port(s) & pin(s) to map the keys to etc..

Can anyone help?
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Open the Ports & pins Input Signals. Find the THC UP input, turn on Emulated (green check) and you can map any keyboard key to the input so striking that key will be the same as getting an UP signal from the THC circuit.

Do the same with the THC DOWN Signal (using another keybutton. I use U key for UP and D for Down.

Emulation substitutes a keystroke for a signal. I have used it a lot lately working on software (plug-ins) for rotary plasma cutting.

TOM Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Thanks Tom, I have it working.

It certainly helped after not fooling with it for a few days & re-reading what you were telling me to do.

Just as I had figured It was all me. I was reading "THC up & down" But for what ever reason was translating that in my mind to "Z Jog" in ports & pins. DUH!!!

Again thanks for the help & the great product you sell..
    If it works.....Don't fix it!