587,661 active members*
2,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Assembly method used in pneumatic cylinders

Hello -

I have a few pneumatic cylinders of the non-repairable type. They have stainless steel for the cylinders and aluminum for the end caps.

My question: I'm trying to figure out how they attach the tube to the aluminum caps.

It appears a circular groove was machined on the end cap and the steel tube some bent and squeezed into place providing an airtight seal, in this case up to 250 psi.

Is this a press fit? Any other resources/names so I can read up on this?

Thanks!

Most also have a 'O' ring in the end cap against the inside of the cylinder also. The cylinder end is then roll crimped in to the end cap. There may be a groove but most are just forced into the metal of the end cap by pressure.

Thanks for replying.

I take it these crimping machines are hydraulically actuated? Do you know of any manufacturers or names of tools?

Thanks!

The old cylinders I've cut apart had an o-ring and a groove into which the cylinder tube was rolled. The 'crimping' part is rolled, much like the ends on a can of food. For experimenting, you should be able to mount a bearing with a suitably flanged steel 'tire' into the tool post of a lathe and feed this roller radially into a well supported, slowly turning cylinder/end cap assembly.

The tools are probably made in house by the cylinder maker.

Pneumatic cylinders will vary in appearance, size and function, they generally fall into one of the specific categories shown below. However there are also numerous other types of pneumatic cylinder available, many of which are designed to fulfill specific and specialized functions.

I would call that roll swaging the tube into a groove in the aluminum end piece. If you are looking for a DIY method of doing this, you can simply use a dull pipe cutter. The more dull the better, preferably dulled in a lathe with a stone.