588,231 active members*
4,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

BUILDING A TM1

Hey guy's what's up. Im new to this forum and the cnc plasma to.I alway's wanted one and now I got it! I'm building the tm1 4x8 I have the table somewhat done and just started working on the gantry.I'm tig welding the whole gantry and so far it's coming out good.I been lookin at the forums on here and seen the upgrades people r doing. I never seen one of these machines work before or seen one in person.I pretty much don't understand the languege yet. I have the height controler,plate marker upgraded gear's ect. I'm using a miller 2050 plasma and just got the machine torch.I'll take some pic's when I go to my shop today and post later.When I ordered the machine I told them I wanted everything to make it work the best. I never scim on my tools. I just need to under stand the machine so I can make it work good.I been fabricating for about 18-20 years.I live in So-Cal in the I.E. Any help would be a cool.I'll check in later after I get back from my shop. Thanx!!!

Welcome aboard & best of luck on your TM 1 build. You might want to start a build log so others can help you & hopefully some future builder can gain from your experience.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    Welcome aboard & best of luck on your TM 1 build. You might want to start a build log so others can help you & hopefully some future builder can gain from your experience.
    It's hard for me to get time to sit at the computer.I'm a union carpenter by trade and have a fabrication shop after work.I'm located in Upland Ca and alway's willing to help people. I just need to understand the machine and find out it's weak points so I can modify it. What tip is the best to use for the plasma I have a miller 2050 with the machine torch.Do I just use the same tip's I always use on the hand torch?? I have a few diffrent one's. Thanx

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32058

Here is a fairly detailed build log of a TM1 from a couple years ago.

Everything pretty much about the TM1 is covered Pros & Cons. from start to finish. Then there is a gantry upgrade he pulled off.

If memory serves me the original TM1 used a single side drive standard with a jack shaft to make it drive from both sides of the long axis.

Some people opt to use 2 motors (dual axis drive) on the long axis. which gives you double the torque to make more rapid direction changes which is needed especially on thinner material 3/16" & under for example.

All in all the TM1 is a good place to start. It's Tm's first CNC table that went to market. As they refined their product they designed entirely new tables & didn't just sweep the TM1 under the rug. Kudos to them for that at least they didn't leave their first customers hanging out to dry. As I understand it you can get todays up to date electronics & all features of the higher end tables with your TM1.

The second issue I know of with the TM1 is they use a CRR flat bar for the gantry & cam followers to hold the gantry axis stable. For some reason it doesn't seem to work very well. I don't own one so I can't give you details.

Again I am going from memory from others posts on the zone. So information I am giving is second hand at best.

You might want to look into using a piece of 80/20 aluminum & a profiled linear bearing rail for the gantry (much lighter) will let those NEMA23 motors perform better. Plus it will hold that axis much more stable. In turn make your cuts much better.

As to your plasma I really can't answer you there at all. I run my table pretty much with Ox/Fuel. I am in the process of adding plasma (Hypertherm 1250 in my case) to my table. From what I read on here Miller should have recommended cut charts for you to go by. All plasma machines are not created equal so you really need miller cut charts.

If I am not mistaken Hypertherm actually makes Miller's machine plasma torch. Jim Colt seems to be the resident expert on most plasma related issues. Jim is a long time employee of HT & always seems to give good solid advise on plasma no matter who made it.

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    As to your plasma I really can't answer you there at all. I run my table pretty much with Ox/Fuel. I am in the process of adding plasma (Hypertherm 1250 in my case) to my table. From what I read on here Miller should have recommended cut charts for you to go by. All plasma machines are not created equal so you really need miller cut charts.

If I am not mistaken Hypertherm actually makes Miller's machine plasma torch. Jim Colt seems to be the resident expert on most plasma related issues. Jim is a long time employee of HT & always seems to give good solid advise on plasma no matter who made it.
    I had my plasma for a few years now.It's rated to cut 7/8" and will severe 1 1/8" I alway's used a certain tip cause I made a stand off for hand cutting.I have a few diffrent style tips but never tried them.When I got my machine torch it came with a diffrent tip on it that I never seen before. I hate trial and error cost to much $$$! LOL

Ted,

You had asked what I would recommend that you do to have your TM1 turn out as best as it can be. I have two main things, the Jack or "drive" shaft to make it driven on both sides and the extra Cam follower brackets on the cassette to remove any potential for the cassette rocking on the gantry.

Also I would recommend cross bracing the legs to stiffen the table as much as possible, just be sure to not bow the rails of the machine welding them on.

-Mike
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST