588,191 active members*
7,365 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Downloading back up files.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I have two 1996 VF3's, both have similar problems, which I believe are related to each of the machines processor board batteries, since they're both original. However, before they're replaced, I understand from various posts that I need to back up all the machine code and programs. I need some info. on how to do that. My only means of communications is RS232, since the floppy drives bellied up years ago. I have backed up all of my programs, but I'm not sure how to get the remainder of what's needed out. I tried what was written in the manual for parameters, but the download certainly didn't echo what's displayed on the CRT. I'm also going to need help uploading everything. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Kev.

You can send parameters and settings individually:
    LIST PROG
    SETTINGS or PARAMETERS
    Select the desired page
    SEND (RECEIVE to load from RS232)
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Thanks for the response. Is that all that gets lost should the battery fail completely?
    Thanks
    Kev

No, the control will be wiped completely. The entire software would need to be reloaded.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainKev View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I have two 1996 VF3's, both have similar problems, which I believe are related to each of the machines processor board batteries, since they're both original. However, before they're replaced, I understand from various posts that I need to back up all the machine code and programs. I need some info. on how to do that. My only means of communications is RS232, since the floppy drives bellied up years ago. I have backed up all of my programs, but I'm not sure how to get the remainder of what's needed out. I tried what was written in the manual for parameters, but the download certainly didn't echo what's displayed on the CRT. I'm also going to need help uploading everything. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Kev.
    You never did say what issues you were having, but these batteries are not like a flashlight that goes dim. They either have power to maintain the back-up or they don't. If they fail, you are done. You might want to state the problems you are having see if it might be something else instead.

Regardless, you can clip on a temporary battery while you are changing the main ones and not lose any info at all. It's okay and good to back the parameters etc. up of course, but you will have to have all of the software installed again and that will not be fun to do.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Thanks Mike. The two machines, upon start up, alarm with "System Error" on the bottom of the C.R.T. then follow with "251 Program data structure error" and "212 Program integrity error." Several programs have gotten corrupted (indicated by dingbat characters) somehow. In List, they can't be selected, or deleted. I've read that this could be caused by battery issues, however, I believe that our problems are associated more with the floppy drive and the machines directory. When we tried to replace a "bad" program, via the floppy drive, we got more issues and the floppy failed to load. Hence, we're now loading/unloading via RS232. The other question I have is does the load "all" command load as a single file and not separate programs, since the machine downloads them as a single program/file. Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.
    Kev.

It will separate the programs
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Thanks Ken...........I didn't relish the thought of having to load 150 programs one at a time.
    Kev.