587,708 active members*
3,302 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Baldor Vector Drive Problems

Baldor Vector Drive Problems

I have a rather annoying problem...

Mid-90's Fadal (sorry, don't remember the series) using a Baldor Fadal 215 (Actually a Vector 18H according to Baldor Australia) drive for the spindle. About 8 weeks ago it (the drive) melted down, so we sent it to ERD in the states for repair. Sent back with a clean bill of health!

So...reinstalled-works fine. Till it started breaking tools...

One of our techs observed the spindle slowing down for a few seconds-then rapidly resuming normal speed.

Drive diagnostics indicates that the unit is periodically resetting (uP Reset Fault) which according to the manual (Vector 18H series) states cryptically "Power applied before capicitor's fully discharged". Huh?

Worth noting that the same fault was occuring before we sent the unit in.

On a possibility that a power fluctuation may be the culprit-I rented a power monitor and attached it to the drive (voltage and current, 230V 3ph), and managed to catch a reset during a test program. Results? Nothing. Input power stone cold normal, no transients, no overvolts, no undervolts.

Also tried changing the encoder-nope. Still happening.

Ideas? I'm seriously thinking of tearing out the drive and refitting with newer technology.

I'll note the particulars (model #'s) when I get in tommorow morning.

Jon

Is there a way that the control might be the culprit? Maybe a bad connection, a failing opto-isolator or something that may be sending a reset signal to the drive? The drive may not be the cause of its own problem? I don't know, just guessing.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That's my next guess-as I had three more resets in the last 18 hours-and nothing on the power log. Worse, there were about 17 events logged that the drive rode through without any problems at all, some severe. One looked like a lightning strike-a damn-near 800V transient affecting all three phases-and remember that this is INSIDE the machine-AFTER the main transformer!

BTW-Fadal VMC3016, running 1060-0 boards. Pretty much stock with a rotating 5th axis (disconnected at the moment).

I'm gonna power down this afternoon and start checking cables and boards.

Jon

since your machine from mid 90
    I offer that you get in tuch with Fadal
    the the first Baldor had this problem and there was a
    Note about it that you need to take out some capacitor
    give me two days and I will found it
    anyway I am in tuch with guy from the state that
    know Fadal baldor inverter I just bought from him
    one for good price 2600$ and it work with no problem

Thanks dango-any info would be appreciated...

We DID contact the local reps (local being "on this side of the planet" kinda local...) and they suggested an all new drive-for a mere NZ$14,000.

The machine functions well otherwise-but this drive problem has it off-line for the forseeable future.

Would the capicitor in question have anything to do with the interface between the drive and the controller?

the answer is no connection between the capacitor and
    the controler
    another question
    after you reinstall the driver
    did you make autotuning
    After I install Baldor driver I always make Autotunning
    and also load Fadal proms again

Good point. When anything gets changed in the drive chain, spindle card, caps, you need to use that little Baldor control box on the spindle drive to run through the autotune routine. Instructions are in Fadals manuals.

BTW cheaper parts can be had at KMAC or CNCpros. Both are on the web.