588,407 active members*
5,884 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > My first large CNC router Table Design,

My first large CNC router Table Design,

My first big router table design. I built a MOMUS and then wanted a full size table. I designed this one by looking at several other designs, took 3 weeks from start to finish. It has a cutting area of 95x50 in, 10 in in Z height, 2.2kw (3hp) water cooled spindle, HuangYang VFD, USB Smoothstepper, G540 Gecko Drives, Touch screen control and controlling the whole thing is Mach3. The VFD is controlled using Le royaume d'éole plugin for Mach3 using a rs485 connection adapter to a rs232 port. Works great!!!

This short video is a test g code program. There is a ticking sound you hear that is a bad drive pulley that will be replaced as soon as the new one comes in.

Max rapid 1200 ipm, most I do is 720 ipm. This video is 100 ipm, then 150 ipm and then 720, spindle is 15000 rpm, then 24000 rpm.

CNC Router Table - YouTube

Nice. Good to see wood being used on a large machine without sacrificing rigidity.

I'm interested to know what steppers you are using and whether you are using any reduction gearing on the x&y axis, if you would like to share.

Yeah, and it is heavy, the table weighs in at 575 lbs and the gantry is 290 lbs...works pretty good though. My deepest cut so far is at 80 ipm 3/4 in deep.
    all axis are R&P 3 to 1 except the Z with is 1/2 2 start precision acme with the anti-backlash from dumpster cnc. The R&P drive assy is from router parts cnc standard 3 to 1. All are nema 23 frames, Z and Y 380oz, X and A are slaved together and are 520oz, all power by a 48v 7.5 amp power supply from china. The controller is both a USB Smoothstepper from CNC4PC going to a Gecko Drives 540. My spindle and VFD from BuildyourCNC.com 2.2 kw(about 3hp) controlled by Mach3 via the easy way with a RS485 adapter plugged into a rs232 port on the pc. Using a plugin from a guy who was very good at making it. Hi name is Le royaume d'éole and he has a website and is very helpful if you have any problems....and I did. However they were all my fault.

One thing I can stress more than anything is use nothing but quality shielded cables for everything...then every thing else is super easy.

That is one whopping huge machine there! Brilliant job doing it in timber!

Did you have a specific purpose in mind when building it? Signs, doors?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

thanks. i want to do doors, cabinets and signs