588,619 active members*
4,443 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3 Sheetcam vs ?????

Hi All,
    Been reviewing a lot of posts here and like someone else already said," I don't want the start another Ford vs Chevy....." but I need to upgrade. I was using a Dos program with an ISA slot card and HPGL cutting software on our 2 axis plasma table. I don't like the "upgrade package" I got from my current supplier at all and I am also adding a 3rd axis for torch height control. I am looking at Mach3 and Sheetcam. I am not looking for the cheapest way out, but something that has been tested and works. I would rather not spend $5k on a "full feature" package when a $500 one will do. I run Acad R14 mostly, Corel Draw8 when I have to and it is a stepper table. Thanks.

I have been using a triad of three products to make plasma cutting fast and efficient and the fact they happen to be the most cost effective is also a plus.

I use CorelDraw since 90% of the stuff we do is decorative in nature and I need to be able to quickly deal with text in different fonts and positioned correctly or even wrapped around a circle. Most of the (good) vector art out there is made for sign shops and they use EPS and AI as the common vector files. Corel imports that with no sweat. Corel has one nagging defect and that is in it's CAD format exports. The DXF from Corel (any version) comes out as hundreds of line segments instead of curves. We have solved that with our DXFTool plug-in for Corel (ver 12 and up).

You can find full versions of Corel 12 for about 40 to 50 bucks

Next piece in the triad is SheetCAM. It has all of the toolpath parameters that you need for plasma cutting: automatic lead-ins (choice of 4 types), preset pierce height, end of cut delay, initial cut height, etc. It has manual nesting (step and repeat and array layout) and is easy to learn and easy on the wallet at about $166.00 USD

Last is MACH3. It's the control software to give the table motion and it has THC in it's Core DNA! With a compatable Digital THC it becomes an integrated plasma cutter that rivals any high dollar commercial solution.

If the electronics of a plasma CNC make you start looking for an adult beverage then you may want to consider our Plazpak kits that are all the electronics you need for 3 axis (or 4) control. You can get the stepper models without motors but stepper motors have improved a lot over the last few years and you can get a lot more torque out of the modern hybrid steppers.

All of these products are made to work together. If you just HAVE to use a pure CAD program like AutoCAD then SheetCAM and MACH will still work for you.

You do need to plan on upgrading your table with a full Z axis since MACH controls Z for THC and torch lifting.

You are welcome to join our CandCNCSupport Forum on Yahoo and hobnob with other CNC'rs using our products.

tomCAUDLE
    www.CandCNC.com
    BOB's
    Digital THCs
    DXFTool Software
    Complete Electronic Packages
    Stepper & Servo Systems
    Hand Controllers

Mach3

Hi Tom,
    I have been emailing Bob Campbell and was just on your new website checking it out. Good Job! Looks like you have the parts I need. I have some questions about my "retrofit" but will email you direct. I pulled my gantry off yesterday and have the majority of the z axis built. I have been monitoring different forums and groups and have been leaning towards Mach3 and Sheetcam because of the torch height control feature. Thanks for the reply.
    Tim