586,075 active members*
3,886 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 33 of 41 233132333435
    The Ebay link on post 637 for 16 key 4x4 Matrix Membrane Switch Keypad Keyboards does not seem to have copied across right and was not working when I tested it.

I hope I have got it right this time.

The prices start at £1.25 including P&P.

I have no connection or interest in any of these keypads.

New High Quality 4 x 4 Matrix Array 16 Key Membrane Switch Keypad Keyboard | eBay

Regards, Bravo.

Hi Lucas,

I have powered up the board but all I get ia backlit LCD with 4 rows of white rectangles (matrix displays) all of the dots in each matrix is lit. The buzzer works with the button press. but I get no action onscreen of theLCD,

Any suggestions? I think that I read a post on this problem but have not been able to find it,

Best regards

Terry

Hi Lucas,

I have powered up the board but all I get ia backlit LCD with 4 rows of white rectangles (matrix displays) all of the dots in each matrix is lit. The buzzer works with the button press. but I get no action onscreen of theLCD,

Any suggestions? I think that I read a post on this problem but have not been able to find it,

Best regards

Terry

Sorry about the double post my pc appears to be playing up, is there a way of deleting posts on this forum?

If you're getting a beep from the buzzer when you press a key then the unit is working.

No display means the LCD isn't receiving the commands correctly.
    In this case the problem will be the wiring between the LCD and the display.

If you have a multimeter check that each line is fully connected between the IC pin and the LCD pin (likely broken track on PCB or bad solder joint).

If all that checks out then remove the processor and check that each line isn't shorted to another (likely causes are solder bridges across joints or a copper bridge if the board hasn't completed etching through).

Hope this helps.

check the contrast pot on lcd.. turn it to reduce the contrast and you will get your lines appears..
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kwackers View Post
    If you're getting a beep from the buzzer when you press a key then the unit is working.

No display means the LCD isn't receiving the commands correctly.
    In this case the problem will be the wiring between the LCD and the display.

If you have a multimeter check that each line is fully connected between the IC pin and the LCD pin (likely broken track on PCB or bad solder joint).

If all that checks out then remove the processor and check that each line isn't shorted to another (likely causes are solder bridges across joints or a copper bridge if the board hasn't completed etching through).

Hope this helps.
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for yout quick response to my request. Sorry not to have replied earlier but I was checking all the things that you said to ry. the problem urned out to be a broken track to the LCD. When the LCD was not mounted the track appeared to be ok and passed a continuity check with a multimeter but must have been streassed enough to give an open circuit when mounting the LCD. It was a b****r to find .

After that I adjusted the contrast as advised by Khalid (thanks for that Khalid) and the display burst into life with the main menu. :cheers:

At that moment I could have kissed both of you but that feeling soon passed.

I have my stepper and a driver so the next step (excuse the pun) is to connect them all up to test the action. But looking good so far.

Thanks for your help, but I may be back!!!

Hi Steve and khalid,

I know it's been done before but here is my basic system working with the keypad based on Khalid's circuit diagram. The keypad works well, is cheap and is robust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2198.JPG   IMG_2199.JPG  

Hi,

Here again, sorry if I get boring, but I have a Stepper driver and I'm not sure about the connections from the board.

Obviously I can understand the legends: DC+ DC-, A+ A-, B+ B-. However I'm not sure about the other connections. Any help woulld be appreciated.

Best regards

Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2202.JPG  

EN is enable, Pul is pulse or step. dir/dur is direction.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Thanks for that Mike, I now see that 'DUR' is a mislabelling and should be 'DIR', that clarifies things a bit more,

Best regards

Terry

Hi Mike,

Am I correct in assuming that on the 'EN', 'PUL' and Dir, the ground is commonly connected?

Regards,

Terry

Hi Terry

yes

connect the stepper driver -step -direction and - enable terminals to the common / ground terminal on the indexer pcb

and the + step + dir and + en to the step dir and en terminals on the indexer pcb

John

Many Thanks John for confirming my assumption.

I'm not entirely new to electronics but this is my first foray into stepper motor driving. I chose this as a simple intro to CNC as I hope to add cnc to my milling machine and perhaps build a cnc router at some time in the future.

Best regards

Terry

Terry,
    actually i abandoned the ready made keypads available in market due to their very very sensitive nature. So i made one that is more more low cost as compared to the ready made.

Hi Steve (Kwackers),

I have the controller working now as far as the screen is concerned. However I am running V2.12 which does not match the manual for V.11.

According to the manual I should get a profile screen when switching on but my version goes straight to the 'Mode' menu. Further, according to the manual I can program a profile from the 'Setup' menu however I cannot find that facility and my arrow keys appear to be working.

I am having difficulty going further with the conroller. I have my stepper driver connected with a small stepper for testing and would like to move on.

Any advice?

Best regards,

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    Terry,
    actually i abandoned the ready made keypads available in market due to their very very sensitive nature. So i made one that is more more low cost as compared to the ready made.
    Hi Khalid,

I saw that in an earlier post, and that is where I got the PCB mask from. It is a very inexpensive alternative and I am very grateful for your work on it. The keyboard has also proved to be robust and very easy to use. I have made an overlay and I think it will look quite reasonable.

Once again thanks for the circuit and by the way I was very impressed with the video you made demonstrating the controller working. I hope that mine will be as useful to me as yours is to you.

Best regards

Terry

Hi Steve,

Ignore my previous post, while there is no 'Profile' screen when switching on in V2.12, I have managed to create a profile under the 'Setup' screen which didn't appear when I first tried it. My PIC is a little loose in the turned pin socket and this may have caused the problem. As my circuit board is now a bit fragile after the beating it has had in troubleshooting, I have decided to make a new one to build a more robust board.

I have now managed to get the motor driver to drive a small test stepper and have proved the system. I have a more powerful motor and now just need to add the motor to my Rotary Table- more of that later.

Thanks for your hard work on this project it has been very interesting and a steep learning curve for me. Many so called beginner projects take a lot of prior knowledge for granted but you explained this in an easily accessible form for me and I'm sure for others as well. This has given me the confidence to tacke multi motor cnc projects in the future.

Best regards

Terry

Terry one advice i will give you.. After etching the board, solder all the tracing by hand it will take few minutes but you will get a solid PCB for long run.. Actually the small narrow tracing act like a fuse and when they breakup one can not see where they disconnected...

Page 33 of 41 233132333435